ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Community Discussion  Hop To Forums  General Discussion    Can some please help me understand if husband will get kicked out?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can some please help me understand if husband will get kicked out?
 Login/Join

posted
Ok so question for anyone who can help my husband is team leader which I know isn't that big of a deal but it is important in this question. He took a diagnostic PT test yesterday and failed the run because of stupid reasons but more importantly he failed tape by .5 % and now he is told that if he "fails" the next test they will begin paperwork to process him out of the military. The question here is can they do this? The "first" test was a diagnostic so technically if he fails the one next month wouldn't that be his first time failing? He has never failed an actual PT test just diagnostics so I don't see how they can tell him he will get kicked out they say they can do it because he is a "Team Leader" I say what does that matter a diagnostic is exactly what it is a diagnostic

Posts: 4 | Registered: 17 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Well first if he fails again he will loose his team leader status. He might loose it now since he failed height and weight. But depends on the chain of command. As far as starting his paperwork yes they can start it when he fails his first record pt test. Doesn't mean he will be kicked out right then. He will be given another chance to pass it. Now it might be a month later or whatever and if he fails that one he probably will be chaptered. But not for failing his first pt test. He will be considered a piece of garbage, and if he is an nco could get a relief for cause NCOER. cause of it. again depends on his COC. But the army is downsizing right now so they aren't keeping pt failures and height and weight failures in the army more then they have to anymore.

Posts: 73 | Location: Fort Leavenworth, KS | Registered: 26 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
This was just a diagnostic though not a record test does this matter? He has lost his team leader status which is fine he understands why but to be kicked out for a diagnostic doesn't seem right.

Picture of 11BIN3ID
posted Hide Post
He's not being kicked out for the diagnostic. From what you said, they told him they will start the chapter paper work IF he fails the record. And if you fail a record apft or ht and weight, they can and most likely will chapter you out of the army. Tell him to make sure he passes the next one, and stay in the standards, and there will be no problem.

Posts: 991 | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of white26golf
posted Hide Post
Well for the most part everyone is right about failing the next APFT. The unit can initiate separation.....will they? That is up to the unit. As for the next Height and Weight, he will not be chaptered or even initiated for separation based on that. He will however be flagged, and will be enrolled in the AWCP. You guys need to pick up a copy of AR 600-9. Oh, and there is no way that he failed the tape test by "0.5%", it is either 1% or higher.

Posts: 82 | Registered: 26 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
As his spouse you need to be even more supportive now.

For example when you shop for groceries NO Full strength cola (diet only), no fruit juice (yes it has vitamins, but it also has a slew of other calories) encourage water. This is the easiest step for now, and ensure you guys do something "active" on the weekends instead of couch potato.

I hope that helps. He will be under the gun, and treated like trash till he passes the next one by a healthy margin.

Posts: 2605 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
physical fitness and weapons are the two things that Soldiers have the most control over to improve themselves. These two things are going to start getting graded alot harder once the new points system takes effect. Being in a team leader/squad leader position should not be taken lightly. You are the one that your Soldiers look to whenever they have an issue/problem or question. So don't think it is not a big deal. Leadership is a big deal. Its where the rubber meets the road. Your husband needs to understand this. He needs to understand that his example is the one that his Soldiers will follow more than anybody elses. He needs to get in the gym and run on his own time. That is the burden and sacrifice we make as Leaders. Encourage more eating healthy in your household. Being an Army Wife is a responsibility not to be taken lightly either. I believe that behind every great man is a great woman.

Posts: 45 | Registered: 21 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
No response back, she must not want to be told other difficult things to do.

Sometimes I just don't see how some people can't see how a large percentage of the blame rests in the person making the huge meals, and buying the junk food.

Posts: 2605 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SGT_Martin
posted Hide Post
Even though his HT/WT Tape was in conjuction with a diagnostic APFT, I don't think there is such a thing as "Diagnostic" tape. If it's conducted, it's for record. Previous post was also right, there is no .5% over. Even if there was, he's still over. Although the Army is looking to downsize where they can, it's not easy as "you're fat now get out", so don't panic. He should have been counseled on and understand all about that already.

Posts: 17 | Location: CP Zama, Japan | Registered: 28 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
This is mostly for corvette1140 for starters "she must not want to be told other difficult things to do." please do not judge unless you know the person. I work 40 hours a week for a living unlike a lot of army wives that take of take of their kids as a living I also have a 2 year old to take care of. I haven't had time to check the posts I have been busy dealing with this crap and trying to help support my husband. I got on here because I needed a non-bias opinion if these people here knew what they were doing or not. I got my answer from white26golf post because yes he did fail by 0.5% they did not round up so I guess they need a lesson on how to do it. As for cooking the "huge meals" he is not home for dinner he is on duty because he is an MP working shift work so he goes in at 1300 and I don't see him until 2200. Thank you to everyone else who realizes I don't sit in front of a computer all day waiting to reply to people who reply to my questions I appreciate it.

Picture of 11B32B
posted Hide Post
.5 % is nothing, your husband can do it, one of the soldiers under my responsibility has been flagged for weight during our deployment, even with our 12-24 hour missions every other day I've ensured every day we're not on a mission our medic ( who volunteered to take him ) or myself ( his team leader ) are with him ( working out also ) while he does cardio in the camp gym twice a day.

He gained around 20 lb's during the deployment, and exceeded the screening weight and failed tape. Now he has lost around 40 and will hopefully pass tape this week. All from 1 hour on the treadmill twice a day.

Harsh, yes, but It is crucial in ensuring he does not get chaptered out in this time of preparing to downsize our forces. It's a personal effort, but if you have a soldier who isn't making the cut it's up to you to counsel and correctively provide the leadership to encourage him to get off and get promoted or be retained.

Hell, there's another soldier here who medically reclassed from 11b to 88m due to injury in Iraq who has lost 90LB's from healthy eating and 1 hour of running every night.

MPYF, I know it's frustrating, but take these stories and help your husband out like corvette said, you could be his only source of motivation if his leadership is failing him. My wife works full time as well, and when I was home we sometimes didn't see eachother due to our schedules. The internet is also frustrating because you might take someones comment as something it's not intended to be very easily, setting a tone in text is harder to do in small posts Smiler

Posts: 405 | Location: Europe | Registered: 21 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Full Metal Elf
posted Hide Post
MPYF, I think once you realize that the Army uses about 90% scare tactics to resolve all issues, you and your husband will both sleep better. Yes we are downsizing, yes they can start chapter paper work, but will they? More than likely they are lazy and wont even bother with it untill he falls half a dozen or so in a row.

I now work beside a SSG who has failed two in a row (cant run) and not even flagged. Rank you say? Probably, but I also saw a PV2 PCS with 10 PT failures and still received a AAM when departing.

Downsizing, maybe, but not drastically till we pull out of AFG I would bet on.

Reguardless, its best your husband get below the required percentage and also try to meet the lowest possible APFT standards at least.

A SSG in AIT once told me that if you can shoot and pass your APFT, you will always be squared away in someones eyes.

Posts: 49 | Location: Fort Belvoir, VA | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thank You Smiler this is all I can say he has been working on it and we will find out next week when he takes the test! Fingers crossed Smiler

posted Hide Post
Good luck Wink

Posts: 45 | Registered: 21 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Corvette1140:
No response back, she must not want to be told other difficult things to do.

Sometimes I just don't see how some people can't see how a large percentage of the blame rests in the person making the huge meals, and buying the junk food.

Seriously! Your comments are almost always special. You'll make a great CSM one day.

Posts: 42 | Location: Jacksonville Recruiting Battalion | Registered: 26 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post