ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Community Discussion  Hop To Forums  General Discussion    how long do you have to be over seas to wear the overseas ribbon?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

how long do you have to be over seas to wear the overseas ribbon?
 Login/Join

Picture of FIFTYCRUSHPLAN
posted
I have been in germany for 13 months now how long do i have to be here before i can put my overseas ribbon on my dress uniform?

Get Some!

Posts: 560 | Location: Fort Carson | Registered: 25 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of RedLeg81
posted Hide Post
Did you try looking in AR 600-8-22? If you did, you would have found:

1. Description: The Army Overseas Service ribbon is 1 3/8 inches in width. It is composed of the following vertical stripes: 3/16 inch National Flag Blue 67124, 5/16 inch Grotto Blue 67165, 1/16 inch Golden Yellow 67104, 1/4 inch Brick Red 67113, 1/16 inch Golden Yellow, 5/16 inch Grotto Blue, and 3/16 inch National Flag Blue.

2. Components: Ribbon. MIL-D-11589/282. (There is no medal for this ribbon).

3. Criteria: a. Effective August 1, 1981, the Army Overseas Service Ribbon is awarded to all members of the Active Army, Army National Guard, and Army Reserve in an active Reserve status for successful completion of overseas tours if the tour is not recognized by the award of a service or campaign medal.

b. The ribbon may be awarded retroactively to personnel who were credited with a normal overseas tour completion before August 1, 1981, provided they had an Active Army status on or after August 1, 1981.

c. Requirements for award of the ribbon are contained in AR 600-8-22.

4. Background: a. The Army Overseas Service Ribbon was established by the Secretary of the Army on April 10, 1981.

b. Subsequent tours will be indicated by the use of numerals.

Therefore, depending on the length of tour in Germany, according to this regulation you are not authorized to wear it yet. I know Hawaii was a 3 year tour when I was there, but I'm not sure about Germany.

REDLEG81

Posts: 203 | Location: Fort Bliss | Registered: 01 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Here in Korea at month #10 S1 adds it.

Does the OSR not apply to OIF/OEF deployments?

Posts: 102 | Location: Camp Casey | Registered: 15 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
yes the OSR does apply for OIF/OEF

Posts: 73 | Location: Fort Leavenworth, KS | Registered: 26 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RedLeg81:
Did you try looking in AR 600-8-22? If you did, you would have found:

3. Criteria: a. Effective August 1, 1981, the Army Overseas Service Ribbon is awarded to all members of the Active Army, Army National Guard, and Army Reserve in an active Reserve status for successful completion of overseas tours if the tour is not recognized by the award of a service or campaign medal.

There are both service and campaign medals for OIF and OEF. So by the regulation the OSR does NOT apply for OIF/OEF. If your unit awards you one then your S-1 is screwed up!

Posts: 3 | Location: Afghanistan... soon back to Campbell | Registered: 10 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
tried that same argument to the PAC in iraq and they said you get the OSR even with the campagian medals. even looked it up and said we get OSR for that service period

Posts: 73 | Location: Fort Leavenworth, KS | Registered: 26 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tmayhem:
Does the OSR not apply to OIF/OEF deployments?

From https://www.hrc.army.mil/SITE/Active/TAGD/awards/Messag...der__126-150/149.pdf

"A change to the requirements for award of the OSR has eliminated the policy that restricted award of the OSR when another campaign/service medal is awarded"

Soldiers should bookmark https://www.hrc.army.mil/SITE/Active/TAGD/awards/Messag...nce_Index/awdmsg.htm to check the latest policies on Awards and Decorations before quoting Army Regulations.

Posts: 23 | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SGT Mispeld
posted Hide Post
okay i know about the change for the OSR and a SR but do you recive a OSR for OIF/OEF if you are Over Seas When Deployed?

Posts: 19 | Location: WAAF | Registered: 17 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of FIFTYCRUSHPLAN
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info!

Get Some!

Posts: 560 | Location: Fort Carson | Registered: 25 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
actually if you were smart you would know that as of 11 Dec 2006 it was revised and made to where both were authorized

Posts: 1 | Registered: 18 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of erikwithak86
posted Hide Post
...and if you were smart you would have realized this post is over three years old, and would not have wasted your time to register just to post your snotty comment.

Thread over, lock please.

Posts: 707 | Registered: 18 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of CrisTama
posted Hide Post
hehehe good one...

Posts: 647 | Location: All over the world | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post