ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Community Discussion  Hop To Forums  General Discussion    Retention Control Point and severence pay
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Retention Control Point and severence pay
 Login/Join

posted
I was under the impression if separated by RCP as a SGT E-5 the Army would pay out a severance pay to that Soldier. My PLT SGT today informed me that it is only for indefinite term E-6es (he said the policy recently changed) which made absolutely no sense to me since an indefinite E-6 would be serving to retirement tenure.

Can any Career Counselors or Soldiers that deal a lot with RCP confirm or deny weather a severance is issued to E-5's who hit RCP?

Posts: 2619 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Corvette1140:
I was under the impression if separated by RCP as a SGT E-5 the Army would pay out a severance pay to that Soldier. My PLT SGT today informed me that it is only for indefinite term E-6es (he said the policy recently changed) which made absolutely no sense to me since an indefinite E-6 would be serving to retirement tenure.

Can any Career Counselors or Soldiers that deal a lot with RCP confirm or deny weather a severance is issued to E-5's who hit RCP?

Corvette, i thought you were a a SSG already?

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3914 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have 5 years till I hit RCP, but I have not seen points dip below 790 for the past year for 68V E-6. I guess that means reclass again LOL.

posted Hide Post
It just came up in a casual conversation with my PLT SGT when I had mentioned that some other Soldiers will at least be getting a severance pay if they hit RCP.

I completely follow how RCP can prevent a Soldier from re-enlistment, but I was under the impression if it is reached and the Soldier has over 10 years that they get some type of so-sad-too-bad money. At least that is how it was handled in 2003.

posted Hide Post
Oh congrats on your E-6 well done.

Picture of 11B32B
posted Hide Post
Had to change your Siggy eh? I guess you can say:

What's the difference between a SGT (P) and a SSG?

I get to stay in uniform for three more years then you do!

Bad joke too soon? Good job on your Staff Sergeant

Posts: 405 | Location: Europe | Registered: 21 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Bad information is being given in this thread.

I just had a soldier SPC E4 type Rcp'ed. he received close to 21000 in severance pay.

this happened THIS month.

Posts: 244 | Location: ft hood | Registered: 25 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of ReUp63
posted Hide Post
Soldiers who ETS because they are denied reenlistment due to RPC are authorized Half Separation Pay.

DODI 1332.29

3.2. Half Separation Pay (Non-disability). Half payment of non-disability
separation pay, computed as provided in paragraph 3.3., below, is authorized to members
of the Regular and Reserve components involuntarily separated from AD who meet each
of following four conditions:

3.2.3. The Service member is being involuntarily separated by the Military
Service concerned through either the denial of reenlistment or the denial of continuation
on AD or full-time National Guard duty, or the Service member is being separated
instead of board action as provided in DoD Directive 1332.30 (reference (f)), under one
of the following specific conditions:
3.2.3.1. The member is not fully qualified for retention and is denied
reenlistment or continuation by the Military Service concerned as provided for in
reference (e) or DoD Directive 1332.30 (reference (f)) under any of the following
conditions:
3.2.3.1.1. Expiration of service obligation.

Though I didn't copy and paste it, in order to qualify, the Soldier must have served at least 6 years AFS.

Career Counselor (Retired)

Posts: 473 | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of ReUp63
posted Hide Post
quote:
Info Copied from ALARACT 020/2011

5. SOLDIERS NOT SERVING ON AN INDEFINITE REENLISTMENT, WHO REACH THEIR RCP DURING
THEIR CURRENT ENLISTMENT AGREEEMENT THROUGH LENGTH OF SERVICE, REDUCTION IN
GRADE, OR BY REMOVAL FROM A PROMOTION LIST (EITHER VOLUNTARY OR INVOLUNTARY) WILL
PERFORM ACTIVE SERVICE UNTIL THEIR CONTRACTED EXPIRATION TERM OF SERVICE (ETS),
UNLESS THEY ARE SEPARATED EARLIER UNDER APPLICABLE ADMINISTRATIVE, PHYSICAL
DISABILITY, OR UNIFORM CODE OF MILITARY JUSTICE (UCMJ) SEPARATION PROVISIONS.

@ SIGYEO, how do you interpret that as precluding separation pay. It never even mentions it. All that's saying is they can serve until contructual ETS.

posted Hide Post
I apologize for the bad information that I posted. I have deleted it.

Posts: 27 | Location: Fort Gordon, GA | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of ReUp63
posted Hide Post
No harm, no foul.

posted Hide Post
Thanks Reup, reg hounds like yourself make me want to be a Career Counselor, and probably would if Recruiting wasn't so terrible. I'm thinking 46 series might be the way for me.

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Corvette1140:
Thanks Reup, reg hounds like yourself make me want to be a Career Counselor, and probably would if Recruiting wasn't so terrible. I'm thinking 46 series might be the way for me.

I just decided to stay 42A for now lol

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3914 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Tough question to the Career Counselor. Indef E6 reduced to E5 who hits 13 years in a couple of months. Will this person be RCP'd or allowed to retire at 20 years? Or does he have the choice?

Posts: 1 | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Homeless Guy:
Had to change your Siggy eh? I guess you can say:

What's the difference between a SGT (P) and a SSG?

I get to stay in uniform for three more years then you do!

Bad joke too soon? Good job on your Staff Sergeant

3? Try 5, right? Hehehe...thanks!

Lead by Example!!!