Community's Community is an Army Forum
Security Badges

Picture of ghost0001
I was presented with a situation where a NCO was wearing his security badge holder on his ACUs. His badge was placed in his left breast pocket, thus it was not on display outside the secured area. I cannot find anything in AR 190-13 (Physical Security), AR 670-1, or DA PAM 670-1 on the wear of the badge holder. I have informed him that wearing it outside the secure area is in violation of AR 670-1 and AR 190-13, however he wants to see it in writing. Could someone give me a hand and point me to the correct area?

The closest I have gotten was AR 670-1 para 3-11:
b. Security identification badges. In restricted areas, commanders may prescribe wearing security identification
badges, in accordance with AR 600–8–14 and other applicable regulations. Personnel will not wear security identification
badges outside the area for which they are required. Personnel will not hang other items from the security
identification badge(s). The manner of wear will be determined by the organization that requires wearing the badges.

Since it was just his holder, he said it was not in violation. By holder I mean the retractable cord that clips to the pocket on his uniform.
Posts: 7 | Location: FT. Hood, TX | Registered: 15 April 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Smittaayy
posted Hide Post
I noticed that no one responded to your question, and since I haven't been on here in quite some time, this seems like as good a place to start as any.

In my humble opinion, it seems like you found the answer. It doesn't say "Personnel will not DISPLAY security identification
badges outside the area for which they are required", it says that they will not WEAR them. I believe that includes whatever is holding them as well.

As far as I can tell, you're not going to find anything in writing to fully support your argument. However, common sense should tell a Soldier that:

1. Just wearing the holder on your uniform is a no-go.

2. It's not an award, insignia, or accouterment authorized for wear.

3. If you can stuff it in your pocket, you can unclip the whole thing and stuff it in there too.

There may be some precedent shown in AR 670-1 Para 3-6, 2b, where it mentions security cords or chains for cell phones. They must be hidden from view. I would believe the same would be true for security badge holders not in use and outside of the area they are meant for. It detracts from the professionalism of the uniform.

Sorry I don't have anything set in stone for you.

Posts: 1086 | Location: Germany | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post