ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Community Discussion  Hop To Forums  General Discussion    I'm not supposed to pull staff duty?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm not supposed to pull staff duty?
 Login/Join

posted
I'm a bit confused. I'm the Supply Sergeant for my Company, and today Brigade S-4 came by for an inspection. During the inspection, they stated that the Supply Sergeant and Supply Clerk aren't supposed to pull Staff Duty, CQ, or other similar 24 hours duties because we're supposed to be on call all the time. He said it's in a regulation somewhere, but couldn't state which one. I've never heard of anything like this and I'm confused about it. I couldn't find anything else about it, either. I'm not going to take this to my First Sergeant if I don't have any documentation backing it up. I'm not trying to get out of duty, it doesn't bother me at all and never has, I'm just trying to figure out what I'm supposed to be doing. It's a little confusing because I'm Signal (25B) and my clerk is new to the Supply Room, so we're trying to figure out a lot of stuff as we go, and this is just something else that we're lost about. I doubt this would fly over too well anyway, we have under 40 people in the Company so you could probably imagine it's hard enough on us already when the Company has Staff Duty. I have a feeling this regulation doesn't actually exist, which in my experiences is normal when someone states "it's in the reg" and can't remember or doesn't know which one. Has anyone else heard of anything like this or know where it can be referenced? If it does exist, I bet it's hidden in one of those Supply publications I haven't yet had the time to read all the way through...

Posts: 8 | Location: Ft Polk | Registered: 18 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
Never heard of it, armsroom i understand, supply, not so much....besides there is two of you so if someone needs to get some printer paper at 0430, they can call the guy that is not on duty...right?

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3914 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I would be shocked if there was a regulation anywhere that said that ANYONE is exempt from duty (of coarse the army has managed to shock me before). Most of this is spelled out in local policy letters. I've also never heard of a supply sergeant being on call all of the time (supply "emergencies" are generally just a result of bad planning rather then actually being an emergency). By this logic, the armorer, PAC clerk, all squad leaders and basically anyone with more then a pair of masquito wings on their chest would also have to be exempt from duty as well. You're probably doing the right thing in not doing anything unless your S4 can manage to find the regulation (or more likely policy letter) that states this.

CW3 Troy Ward
NETOPS OCT
Bronco 30E
National Training Center, Fort Irwin, CA

Are you a signal warrant officer? http://www.signal-chief.com/

Posts: 609 | Location: National Training Center, Fort Irwin, CA | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
From my experience usually the 1SG would keep you off of it just due to the sheer volume of work that you have (besides ensuring the copier is GTG), now your Soldier is fair game. I have also seen the orderly room clerk being exempted as well. I know that in my current unit, all of us PSGs got together and went to Top to have the orderly room keep at least one person off duty rosters just so we could get our work (i.e. awards, NCOERs, flags, 4187s, etc.) up to S1. Cross talk to your Brothers across your Bn and see what their situation is. Hope this helps...

Posts: 3 | Registered: 21 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
I just came from Germany where all O-3s to E-4s promotable had to pull staff duty. OICs/NCOICs were exempt. If there was a reason for a permanent exemption or monthly exemption, this had to be forwarded to the training NCO/1SG who ran the duty roster. There was a separate list for weekday duty and weekend duties.

I am Signal and worked in the G6 and never saw a 25B as the supply sergeant. I had a 25B as my hand receipt holder but that was it. What kind of unit are you in that you are not working in your MOS?

BTW, it is not a regulation but what the company's policy is. I do not know your duty roster but perhaps you can have duty on a weekend that will not conflict with your duties during the week or which will prohibit you on being away from work on the weekday.

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The answers are pretty much what I thought, that said regulation didn't actually exist.

As to why I'm in supply, well, see what happened was...

A few months back we had three Supply personnel, two of them PCS'd and the third is in jail and won't be back anytime soon. My company was reduced in size (from just over 50 to just under 40), Brigade decided they wanted some of us at S-6 instead of in the company. My section went to Brigade, except for me. All this happened at about the same time, and knowing that we probably wouldn't get any more 92Ys for awhile, I felt the best I could do for the company was filling the suddenly much needed supply slot. I was in for a hell of a surprise at the sheer amount of work and knowledge required to successfully run a supply room, and it didn't help that supply was in shambles when I came in and we had a CIP inspection around the corner. I've learned a lot over the last few months, and I've been able (with some help from my clerk who got here about a month ago) to get the supply room turned almost completely around to where it should to be (with lots of outside help from other Company Supply Sergeants, Battalion and Brigade S-4).

Posts: 8 | Location: Ft Polk | Registered: 18 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The only Mos that I know for sure that is permenantly exempt from pulling duty according to regulation is 56M, Chaplains assistant.

Posts: 244 | Location: ft hood | Registered: 25 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adept:
The only Mos that I know for sure that is permenantly exempt from pulling duty according to regulation is 56M, Chaplains assistant.

Not that i dont believe you, but do you have the regulation that states this so i can see it, i never heard of this. The only time i worked witha 56M, we did not have staff duty or cq to pull nyway.

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3914 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Probably more to do with duty position than MOS, though. I've never heard of it before, but it wouldn't surprise me if there are specific positions that would be exempt, whether it be by regulation or local policy.

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adept:

Yes, this is usually company policy across the board as well with the retention NCO. Soldiers ask your 1SG if you do not believe Wink

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
He said regulation, thats why i asked for regulation, if he had said policy then it wouldnt matter as policies are different in different posts.

Lead by Example!!!

Picture of 98C40_35N40
posted Hide Post
Never heard this for supply, but 6 years ago when I was an armorer on Ft. Lewis there was the actual Ft. Lewis Regulation 190-10 Physical Security (additions to AR-190-10 Physical Security) in which it prohibited those with Unaccompanied Access as the Primary Armorer (only the primary) from pulling 24 hour duty/Staff duty/CQ.

The policy was multi-facited but the main points were that for the Armorer to have access to the keys and safe where the lock box is was a no-no, and if the soldier went home to sleep and the arms room needed to be opened on his/her recovery day then the unit was/is screwed. Additionally its nice as an armorer who has to come in at all hours of the night and week to open the Arms room for guard shifts, middle of the night alarm malfunctions etc, to not have the added stress of CQ. Everytime there was an alarm I was the first one called and usually the only one to show up to the scene. That shit is annoying at 2 am on a Saturday.

I dont know if the policy is the same still, and I couldnt find a copy of the FLR 190-10 but I distinctly remember using it to my advantage.

NCO's Lead The Way!

SFC Nick Martinez
B Co, 3rd MI BN (AE)
Camp Humphreys, KOR

“I am the punishment of God... If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” ― Genghis Khan

Posts: 273 | Location: HQ J2, USSTRATCOM, Offutt AFB, NE | Registered: 20 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
AR 601-280 Chapter 9-5f. I love my job!!!

Posts: 18 | Registered: 30 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of futureDRILL
posted Hide Post
Here it goes, I too am a Supply Sergeant. Staff Duty is one of those deals that as an NCO we just do. Don't fight it. You raised your right hand, deal with it. I'm sorry you or your S4 don't think a support MOS should have additional duties/taskings. If you can't pull staff duty, then you shouldn't be able to take leave/pass/DONSA or be able to go to any school. I promise you the Army will not melt away if you have to pull duty.

In GOD we trust, all others must sign!

Posts: 14 | Location: Fort Campbell, KY | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
futureDRILL you misunderstand, I'm not trying to avoid staff duty, I'm trying to figure out why S-4 is saying I shouldn't be on staff duty. All he could say was "look it up" and nobody else is able to come up with anything, so it looks like this information doesn't exist. I'm fine with that.