ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Community Discussion  Hop To Forums  General Discussion    I'm not supposed to pull staff duty?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm not supposed to pull staff duty?
 Login/Join

Picture of futureDRILL
posted Hide Post
I hear this all the time, I believe it is just some people got spoiled at some point in time from some local policy.

In GOD we trust, all others must sign!

Posts: 14 | Location: Fort Campbell, KY | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by troublesome93:
AR 601-280 Chapter 9-5f. I love my job!!!

Wow, good call. I stand corrected.

CW3 Troy Ward
NETOPS OCT
Bronco 30E
National Training Center, Fort Irwin, CA

Are you a signal warrant officer? http://www.signal-chief.com/

Posts: 609 | Location: National Training Center, Fort Irwin, CA | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by futureDRILL:
I hear this all the time, I believe it is just some people got spoiled at some point in time from some local policy.

This really doesn't surprise me at all. It really bothers me when people try to quote regulations then can't tell you where to find said quote.

Posts: 8 | Location: Ft Polk | Registered: 18 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by troublesome93:
AR 601-280 Chapter 9-5f. I love my job!!!

Yes, this is usually company policy across the board as well with the retention NCO. Soldiers ask your 1SG if you do not believe.

That is what I meant by the retention NCO or career counselor. Gold star for you for finding it in the regs Smiler

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leadertank
posted Hide Post
Never heard of that one. Usually the 1SG will make up the exemptions to the roster via input from Platoon Sergeants with justification as to why a Soldier needs to be exempt. But a regulation, don't think so.

Sincerely,

Leadertank

Connect with more Leader tools from me at http://leadertank.com/. You can also get both my #1 books Leadership Solved (The 10 Rules of LEADERSHIP) and the motivational/inspirational Daily Fuel for LIFE and LEADERSHIP.

Posts: 71 | Registered: 17 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of QMLeadsThaWay
posted Hide Post
I'm an actual Supply Sergeant, and I can tell you that whether or not you are exempt from duty rosters is totally up to your battalion, in some cases. A few units I've been in, I was the only 92Y, so my commander's would automatically recommend that I not be put on duty rosters since I also had to assist the non-92Y armorer with the Arms Room. However, when I worked at PBO, I pulled duty, and even now as a Supply SGT again, I still pull duty because my unit doesn't exempt Supply SGT's unless it is Change of Command Inventory time.

Posts: 81 | Location: Fort Drum, NY | Registered: 20 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TransAm95NCO:
quote:
Originally posted by adept:
The only Mos that I know for sure that is permenantly exempt from pulling duty according to regulation is 56M, Chaplains assistant.

Not that i dont believe you, but do you have the regulation that states this so i can see it, i never heard of this. The only time i worked witha 56M, we did not have staff duty or cq to pull nyway.

quote:
AR 165-1 (3 DEC 09)

AR 165-1, 4-3a:
"The many duties associated with carrying out the CMRP routinely exceed normal duty hours and predictability. The commander will consult with his assigned Chaplain before assigning a Chaplain Assistant with duties that do not directly relate to the functioning of the UMT."

4-3d:
"d. Chaplain Assistants directly support the religious program and work for a supervisory Chaplain and are accountable to the appropriate technical Chaplain Assistant NCO supervisory chain. The technical supervisory chain determines daily work schedule and accountability ISO mission requirements."

When I was in it was slightly different in that religious support missions always came first, and since the Chaplain at any time could get a call -- I was exempt. I guess it is still the same, but gives the command an "option" to pull the assistant. It also depends greatly upon your chaplain, and their relationship with the command. It seemed that everyone wants to pull the Chaplain Assistant because of perceived view that we didn't do anything (however, true for some CAs -- not all). My 1st chaplain kept me free to miscellaneous details because we were in Iraq. And, literally, at any minute I could be needed. If I were on guard duty, and the chaplain had to roll out it'd be a lot harder to find a replacement.

My second chaplain had a lot rougher time keeping me next to him. And, got in numerous arguments with the 1SGT and CSM. Once we got a new LTC things calmed a bit more when the commander and chaplain became friends. Though, I will never forget my chaplain ripping into my 1SGT...which somehow progressed to "You're a horrible leader of soldiers," and great lines like "I question your belief in God!" In the middle of the DFAC...they didn't speak for months after that...but the 1SGT sure as hell left me alone.

Essentially, which the new regulations correct was that I was being pulled without the chaplains knowledge. Their stance was always "if you need him, ask me first." Too many times I was pulled away, and the chaplain would ask me where I've been -- I'd tell him, and he go storming off to correct whoever. It always left me feeling like I was a little kid stuck in the middle of two parents fighting.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 03 December 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Paralegals dont pull duty either...its in AR 27-10

Posts: 22 | Registered: 23 March 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of CrisTama
posted Hide Post
...neither 31D's...but they do have different kind of duty, on-call.

Posts: 665 | Location: All over the world | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
Neither do NCOIC....well in my unit lol

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3914 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of CrisTama
posted Hide Post
Hehehe, you are right...your unit...but not by regulation, like certain MOS's.

Posts: 665 | Location: All over the world | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CrisTama:
Hehehe, you are right...your unit...but not by regulation, like certain MOS's.

i know i just wanted to jump on the "oh and X are exempt too" LOL...

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3914 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of CrisTama
posted Hide Post
I know, i know...i did got your point, that is why i got the "hehehe" part in there, LOL

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TransAm95NCO:
quote:
Originally posted by adept:
The only Mos that I know for sure that is permenantly exempt from pulling duty according to regulation is 56M, Chaplains assistant.

Not that i dont believe you, but do you have the regulation that states this so i can see it, i never heard of this. The only time i worked witha 56M, we did not have staff duty or cq to pull nyway.

The regulation is in AR 165-1 Chapter 4 for the 56M Chaplain assistant exemptions and other duties

Posts: 1 | Registered: 18 February 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Simonic:

Essentially, which the new regulations correct was that I was being pulled without the chaplains knowledge. Their stance was always "if you need him, ask me first." Too many times I was pulled away, and the chaplain would ask me where I've been -- I'd tell him, and he go storming off to correct whoever. It always left me feeling like I was a little kid stuck in the middle of two parents fighting.

Sadly enough happens in all kinds of units and MOS.. Frowner

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post