New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pregnancy and army
 Login/Join

Picture of High_Speed_S1
posted Hide Post
as for pregnancy pt, it is a memorandum signed by your commander...your S1 shop should be able to hook you up as long as your installation has a pregnancy pt program.

as far as the maternity leave, its 42 days following discharge from the hospital.

as far as a chapter 8, it is possible to take that chapter following the birth, but it is up to the command. even if you chapter, the army pays for the birth

Posts: 42 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by High_Speed_S1:

as far as a chapter 8, it is possible to take that chapter following the birth, but it is up to the command.

That is, in "circumstances of abnormal pregnancy" per AR 635-200 par 8-8f, and it is the Soldiers choice to either stay in or separate, so technically is up to her not the Command, but if it does not fall under this paragraph then it is not the "pregnancy separation policy that enlisted women be separated under this chapter when the pregnancy terminates before separation is accomplished" AR 635-200 par 8-8e.

Hope this helps

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3939 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of High_Speed_S1
posted Hide Post
no, not completely true. I have seen Soldiers turn down the chapter during the counseling, and turn around and get it afterwards..It might have been a special case, but her pregnancy was 100% normal and I know this because she was a friend of mine.

Posts: 42 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by High_Speed_S1:
no, not completely true. I have seen Soldiers turn down the chapter during the counseling, and turn around and get it afterwards..It might have been a special case, but her pregnancy was 100% normal and I know this because she was a friend of mine.

Yes you can turn down the chapter at the time of counseling and then turn around and say you want it, but not after you give birth (at least that what the regulation says, or i interpret from the reg)...after birth it would be a hardship chapter, are you sure she got a CH 8 after she gave birth and not a hardship one?

Also you said "no, not completely true." but I quoted regulation and all you "quoted" was something that happened to your friend.

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3939 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of MI_Sgt
posted Hide Post
To answer your questions from a female that has been pregnant in the Army...
1- She should go to the dr ASAP to confirm the pregnancy (usually the same pee on a stick test you buy, but sometimes blood) and get her pregnancy profile. This can usually be done even at sick call. Her unit cannot prevent her from going until 10 weeks pregnant (frankly, thats a ridiculous and arbitrary timetable).
2- The profile starts out from day one with no run/jump/situps or pushups and suggests pregnancy PT if available. (which is why she needs to get her profile ASAP. The unit cannot make her conduct regular unit PT once she has her profile) and then it progresses from there. usually 28 weeks is when it starts to restrict duty hours, etc unless it is high risk.
3- The Army pays for everything, even if she gets out, since (last I read) tricare will cover her delivery, hospital stay, and 2 well baby checkups.
4-again, she will not have to pay anything back.
5- 6 weeks of maternity leave starting as soon as the baby is born, and non-deployable for 4 months after the birth as well.

Posts: 69 | Location: Schofield Barracks | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jesca:
To answer your questions from a female that has been pregnant in the Army...
1- She should go to the dr ASAP to confirm the pregnancy (usually the same pee on a stick test you buy, but sometimes blood) and get her pregnancy profile. This can usually be done even at sick call. Her unit cannot prevent her from going until 10 weeks pregnant (frankly, thats a ridiculous and arbitrary timetable).
2- The profile starts out from day one with no run/jump/situps or pushups and suggests pregnancy PT if available. (which is why she needs to get her profile ASAP. The unit cannot make her conduct regular unit PT once she has her profile) and then it progresses from there. usually 28 weeks is when it starts to restrict duty hours, etc unless it is high risk.
3- The Army pays for everything, even if she gets out, since (last I read) tricare will cover her delivery, hospital stay, and 2 well baby checkups.
5- 6 weeks of maternity leave starting as soon as the baby is born, and non-deployable for 4 months after the birth as well.

i was responding to your message. i had a question. i am currently 3 months pregnant, and have not gotten my pregnancy counseling yet. i've been trying to look up details on a chapter 8 because im curious how it works. and i was wondering if i got out on a chapter 8 soon as i get my counseling will i have medical benefits completely until my baby is born? like doctor appts, the birth, and all that? if you could give me all the information you know that would be great because no one here is telling me much at all. thank you!

Posts: 3 | Location: Germany | Registered: 06 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of grace101
posted Hide Post
I am 3 and a half months pregnant myself and I am a soldier. I found out I was pregnant by my 7 weeks I told my squad leader and she had me schedule appointments at the Health Clinic once I did that they seen me with in days and I got my profile that same day first appointment. I was then counseled by my commander at about 2 months pregnant and the next day after my commander signed all the paperwork the day of the counseling the next day I started pregnancy P.T.
During all of this I was told by my commander that either I can stay in the Army or Chapter 8 but if I wanted to ch 8 it would be before the birth. I have already received the maternity ACU's as well. You only get 42 days of convalescent leave after the birth and it starts the day you are discharged from the hospital.
They nurse at the clinic also gave me a memorandum signed by the doc saying that about your 7 month you only work 8 hours and it starts from the time you do p.t. so it would get you off at about 1430. There is alot more info that I have on being an Active Duty soldier and pregnant if you have any questions send me a message and I would be glad to respond. I hope this helped out a little bit.

Posts: 28 | Registered: 17 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have two children while in the military and elected to stay in, but I have two Soldiers that are taking the Chapter right now. You need to pressure someone to give you the counseling. That is the starting point for everything. In the counseling, you will be given a timeline to make your decision to stay in or get out. If you elect to get out then the chapter paperwork begins. It has to go up through the channels and you have to have an ETS physical before it is approved. No matter what, you will have to be discharged at least 30 days prior to your due date. The Army will cover your appointments and the birth. If you elect to stay in, just go to sick call and they will give you the test. My last pregnancy my clinic wouldn't schedule an appointment with a doctor until I was between 10-12 weeks pregnant. It was really annoying. It just depends on your pregnancy. If you do stay in and you have a normal pregnancy, there is no reason you can't do PT. I still attended PT until my 7th month and then did a lighter version until the day I gave birth. They say it helps in child birth still live an active lifestyle while pregnant. Again it all depends on how you feel and what your doctor says. You will get 6 weeks maternity leave from the date you get out of the hospital, 6 months recovery from the end of your maternity leave, and 4 months non-deployablity from date of birth. I know that 6 months recovery can be waived because I did that, but I don't know about the rest. First and for most you need to get counseled it is the only way things will get started for you.

Posts: 23 | Location: Darmstadt, Germany | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SatcomSoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jesca:

Except for an enlistment bonus if she received one. I had a soldier get pregnant and opt for the chapter. She received $10,000 up front of her initial $20,000 enlistment bonus. She was required to pay back the unused portion of the bonus which was most of it considering she'd only been in for about a year.

Posts: 126 | Location: Fort Gordon, Georgia | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
That is all good information i really appreciate it! I do keep bugging my platoon sergeant about asking if the commander is going to counsel me and he says he will get to it when he has time. my unit is going through a pcs move to another city here in germany, so my commander is ahead of everyone and already there and im still in the rear. i found out i was prego at 4 weeks. ive had my profile, i dont do pt, they dont even have pregnancy pt here so i usually go swimming, but im just trying to get as much info as i can because i dont want to fly all the way back to the states when im much further a long and i need to know if i can afford getting out and all that stuff. also theres another female soldier who is 4 months pregnant works withh me, and she has not receieved counseling yet either. but i was also wondering, what are the repremands if i choose to get out? like pay anything back, or would i be able to get a job with no problems, will i have the full insurance including dental and everything i have now until the baby is born? or just the appointments and the birth? and would i have to go to a military post to have my appointments and theh birth, or can i go to a normal hospital/doctor in my hometown? can this be a somewhat simple process, i will get out and look for a job and they pay for the birth, etc. i know i keep asking questions but i actually ask a lot of people in my unit and no one can tell me anything because they dont know.

Posts: 3 | Location: Germany | Registered: 06 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grace101:
I am 3 and a half months pregnant myself and I am a soldier. I found out I was pregnant by my 7 weeks I told my squad leader and she had me schedule appointments at the Health Clinic once I did that they seen me with in days and I got my profile that same day first appointment. I was then counseled by my commander at about 2 months pregnant and the next day after my commander signed all the paperwork the day of the counseling the next day I started pregnancy P.T.
During all of this I was told by my commander that either I can stay in the Army or Chapter 8 but if I wanted to ch 8 it would be before the birth. I have already received the maternity ACU's as well. You only get 42 days of convalescent leave after the birth and it starts the day you are discharged from the hospital.
They nurse at the clinic also gave me a memorandum signed by the doc saying that about your 7 month you only work 8 hours and it starts from the time you do p.t. so it would get you off at about 1430. There is alot more info that I have on being an Active Duty soldier and pregnant if you have any questions send me a message and I would be glad to respond. I hope this helped out a little bit.

do you know how long after you return to work after the baby do you have to pull cq?

Posts: 6 | Registered: 22 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inthearmy:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by grace101:
QUOTE]

do you know how long after you return to work after the baby do you have to pull cq?

What does your profile say? You should be able to be back 100% after your pregnancy leave, unless there is special circumstances. You can pull CQ like anyone else, again unless there is something preventing you from it?

Lead by Example!!!

posted Hide Post
the comment the person made about being 100% after giving birth? yea i was wondering if you are male or female. and im really hoping for female by that comment you made.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrWashington:
I'd like to know the sequence of events that occur when a female gets pregnant while on active duty at a Army base in the US. Specifically, here are some questions...(1) After suspecting that she is pregnant, how soon can she go in for a medical appointment to confirm the pregnancy? (2) When does she get to opt out of normal daily activity (drills, exercises, etc) because of her pregnancy? (3) Does the army pay for all medical treatment and delivery of the baby? (4) Does she have to pay any of this cost back to the Army (and under what conditions, if any)? (5) How much leave does she get? We have a relative that is pregnant but is claiming the army will not let her go to the doctor until she is 10 weeks pregnant, although they have already put her on a somewhat of a "relaxed" schedule. Any information on this subject is appreciated.

Since I'm going through this whole pregnancy thing in the Army the second time now...

1. As soon as she suspects she is pregnant, she can go into the clinic and get a test done. (FOR FREE! Nice.)

2. On the pregnancy profile that is issued by the doctor (or OB/GYN) it gives specific directions on that. I've actually found a general pregnancy profile online that states the same thing my profile says.

3. Every single thing is free, as long as she stays active duty.

4. No.

5. She will get 42 days of leave and she is able to combine her regular leave with that.

----

There is no way that any health clinic in the Army will refuse to see you until 10 weeks. As soon as you find out you're pregnant, you will speak with an OB/GYN and you have to fill out a bunch of paper work (takes about an hour to fill it all out) and your OB/GYN will schedule your 10 week ultrasound to confirm your due date and if the fetus is still hanging out.

(Sorry for bumping an old post! Yikes.)

Posts: 28 | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I am trying to find out a little more information about pregnancy and Chapter 8. I am currently just waiting for paperwork to be turned in for processing but for some reason people can not find an example of a 4187 to go along with the rest of the paperwork. Any one have any ideas where I would be able to get an example so I can start the process?

Thanks

Posts: 1 | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post