Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"At Ease"
 Login/Join

posted
This morning the platoon was fallen out into the conference room so our new Rear D Platoon CDR (a SFC) could talk with everyone together. We were all in the conference room waiting for him, and when he did come in, he stood there for a moment, looked at our Platoon Sergeant, said "I'm gonna let you fix this," and then walked out of the room. He was expecting At Ease to be called when he entered the room. I am fairly sure this is not correct, but I am having a difficult time finding it. I have look in AR 600-25, but I am not having any luck. I would really like to be able to show him that, or if, he is wrong. HELP!

edit: the mispelling in the title was not harmonious with my OCD, DW

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Daddy Warcrimes,

Posts: 1 | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Career Counselor
Picture of ArmyReenlistment
posted Hide Post
FM 7-21.13

OTHER COURTESIES
4-16. Military courtesy shows respect and reflects self-discipline.
Consistent and proper military courtesy is an indicator of unit discipline, as well. Soldiers demonstrate courtesy in the way we address officers or NCOs of superior rank. Some other simple but visible signs of respect and self-discipline are as follows:
• When talking to an officer of superior rank, stand at attention until ordered otherwise.
• When you are dismissed, or when the officer departs, come to attention and salute.
• When speaking to or being addressed a noncommissioned officer of superior rank, stand at parade rest until ordered otherwise.
• When an officer of superior rank enters a room, the first soldier to recognize the officer calls personnel in the room to attention but does not salute. A salute indoors is rendered only when reporting.
• When an NCO of superior rank enters the room, the first soldier to recognize the NCO calls the room to “At ease.”
• Walk on the left of an officer or NCO of superior rank.
• When entering or exiting a vehicle, the junior ranking soldier is the first to enter, and the senior in rank is the first to exit.
• When outdoors and approached by an NCO, you greet the NCO by saying, “Good morning, Sergeant,” for example.
• The first person who sees an officer enter a dining facility gives the order “At ease,” unless a more senior officer is already present. Many units extend this courtesy to senior NCOs, also.
• When you hear the command “At ease” in a dining facility, remain seated, silent and continue eating unless directed otherwise.

"When I walk up to a soldier he should go to parade rest. Not because I’m better than he is, but because he respects who he is and who I am based on what we both do. It’s professionalism."
-SMA Jack L. Tilley, 12th Sergeant Major of the Army

It's YOUR career! Take control of it before someone else does.
http://www.ArmyReenlistment.com
http://www.facebook.com/ArmyReenlistment

Posts: 6763 | Location: Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall | Registered: 31 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArmyReenlistment:
FM 7-21.13

OTHER COURTESIES
• Walk on the left of an officer or NCO of superior rank.
• When outdoors and approached by an NCO, you greet the NCO by saying, “Good morning, Sergeant,” for example.

YOu would not believe how "weird" it is for Soldiers when you tell them they are supposed to walk on your left or if they see you moving to walk on the left of a senior.

Oh and not forget Im always the one saying "good morning/afternoon" to everyone lower or higher ranking, I dont mind it (I say it cause im just like that) but its just that I remember when I came in the military I was told its up to you to say the greeting of the day to the higher ranking not them to you and now you have Soldiers just walk by you and dont even acknowledge you until you say "hey good morning" or "hey how you doing."

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3915 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I am in a small medical detachment...12 pax total. We had a change of command last year and the incomming CO is rather laid back when it comes to the standard courtesies you normally expect in the Army. He doesn't want the unit called to attention when he enters/exits the office, doesn't like being saluted in the parking lot, etc. Well, we have a couple of Jr. enlisted soldiers for whom this is their first unit in the Army. I told them to show the commander and other NCOs the respect they deserve regardless of what you've been told simply because it harbors bad habits.

Posts: 81 | Location: Ft. Campbell | Registered: 22 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Medical_SGT
posted Hide Post
My number one pet peeve is probably when I speak to someone and they dont speak back. Mad Eeker Mad

I always try to be motivated, around seniors and subordinates. So when in the hallways or wherever, if we make eye contact you will always get a "Hooah SGT, Hooah Sir, Hooah vending machine guy" from me.

Just recently, on the same day I had a E2 and a CPT ask me why do I still say HOOAH. The private thought it was just for training enviornments and the officer said its inappropriate to address an officer that way.. I explained that it was OUR greeting, and its my motivation. I could'nt believe that.

Soldiers may doubt what you say, but they will believe what you do.

Posts: 174 | Location: FT. Rucker, AL | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Medical_SGT:
My number one pet peeve is probably when I speak to someone and they dont speak back. Mad Eeker Mad

I always try to be motivated, around seniors and subordinates. So when in the hallways or wherever, if we make eye contact you will always get a "Hooah SGT, Hooah Sir, Hooah vending machine guy" from me.

Just recently, on the same day I had a E2 and a CPT ask me why do I still say HOOAH. The private thought it was just for training enviornments and the officer said its inappropriate to address an officer that way.. I explained that it was OUR greeting, and its my motivation. I could'nt believe that.

If that CPT doesnt want to hear "hooah" anymore maybe he should go to another branch or get out completely of the military. "cant say hooah"....hahahaha I tell you people these days....Im gonna start saying hooah all the time now just to see who tells me something (I work in an environment with lots of higher ranking hehehe)...

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3915 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of desertgrunt
posted Hide Post
Well here at Ft lewis, My INF Company, we don't say "Hooah" and 2/75 Rangers ban the word from being used in their AO

" I think we should thank SFC Hulka for being our Big Toe"

Posts: 80 | Location: FT lewis | Registered: 22 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by desertgrunt:
Well here at Ft lewis, My INF Company, we don't say "Hooah" and 2/75 Rangers ban the word from being used in their AO

Why dont you say hooah if you dont mind me asking?

Lead by Example!!!

Picture of MI_Sgt
posted Hide Post
"Hooah" was so overused during AIT and at my last duty station (and by overused, I mean EVERY other word) that I cannot bring myself to say it to this day. I love the Army and actually DO feel pride and "Esprit de Corps", but it really gets on my nerves when I hear it used too often in conversation.

Posts: 67 | Location: Schofield Barracks | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of engineer21-e
posted Hide Post
I think that both HOOAH and ROGER THAT have been over used in the military. Sometimes it doesnt kill you to just say yes or no lol

"wars come and go but soldiers stay eternal." Tupac Shakur

http://www.myspace.com/09tonyromo

Go Cowboys!!

Posts: 22 | Location: Fort Hood, TX | Registered: 10 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Shammastershammy
posted Hide Post
In a lot of EOD units, "hooah" is the only thing that WILL get you smoked.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 27 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Lots of people here say it, but thankfully, one of our new PSG's hates "hooah", so now he is putting an end to that. I never use it. Not that I don't like it, I just don't use it. There's plenty of other words in the english language!

but, I am trying to kick the habit of "Roger"..going to the board, and BN CSM absolutely despises anyone saying "roger" unless they're on a radio.

We do, however, pretty seriously follow the courtesy of the subordinate walking on the left, though.

Success consists of going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm

Posts: 67 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: 17 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I dont use the term "HOAH" I use HUA, Heard Understood Acknoledged<sp?>, Nice signal term, then again you may up getting smoked for no reason since once again all the rules are intrepreted<sp?> by the NCO and none one NCO sees eye to eye with every regulation or rule...

Posts: 3 | Registered: 03 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post