ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Community Discussion  Hop To Forums  General Discussion    early release from contract
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

early release from contract
 Login/Join

posted
I have heard of people that have a good civilian job lined up getting released from their contract obligations. does anyone know the specifics of this and the process of how to go about doing it? thanks

Posts: 9 | Location: ft. bragg nc | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AllGaveSomeAndSomeGaveAll
posted Hide Post
I honestly don't believe there is such a thing. I know of people that got out when their contract was up and then got a good civilian job but that's about it. A contract is a contract. You will have to finish your contract first before accepting that job offer.

Posts: 117 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 21 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SGT Diesel
posted Hide Post
No such thing. Could you imagine the number of people who would never finish their enlistments?

You may be thinking of the so-called "drastic change of lifestyle" chapter, where you can be seperated when you come into a large amount of money. So unless your new job is cashing a multi-million dollar lottery check, keep your boots on.

Posts: 139 | Location: Ft Belvoir, VA | Registered: 25 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bushkev:
I have heard of people that have a good civilian job lined up getting released from their contract obligations. does anyone know the specifics of this and the process of how to go about doing it? thanks

Yeah its easy, one year before your ETS date you go to ACAP (spelling) and start doing your resume, and plan for after the Army, then later you put in your leave form and 10 working days before your leave starts, you start clearing, your leave will of course will take you all the way until your discharge date, and boom you are out of the Army and on the job you wanted, pretty easy huh?

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3915 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Yea, it's called "convenience of the government". I know a SPC that got a huge inheritance and was able to get out on a convenience of the government chapter. I think you can find it at AR 635-200. This link might help you understand more.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od...yroom/a/getout13.htm

Posts: 29 | Registered: 27 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
hey gi71, there is a big difference between a good job and an inheritance...

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3915 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
TransAm95NCO... I understand. But, he can still get out on a convenience of the government discharge. Grant it, it's not guaranteed. I recall reading once in the Stars and Strips about this one soldier who was stationed somewhere in Germany and was forming a rap band with his friend. His unit was helping him with a convenience of the government discharge to go and do his rap music career. So, it can be done.

Posts: 29 | Registered: 27 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
Did he actually get out?

Have you seen it get done, like actually someone get out not just "work on it"??

How does me finding a $100,000 a year job is the convinience of the govt? its not, now if I inherited $100,000,000...that would be to their convinience to let me go...

Lead by Example!!!

Picture of MilitaryPoliceNCO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TransAm95NCO:
Did he actually get out?

Have you seen it get done, like actually someone get out not just "work on it"??

How does me finding a $100,000 a year job is the convinience of the govt? its not, now if I inherited $100,000,000...that would be to their convinience to let me go...

If I inherited $100 million dollars I would just sit back and let my contract run out. I would not fight it, but that's me my family would be set so I would not even let anyone know cause you know when ever you win money the family your never knew comes out of the cracks like little cock roaches.

''If you don't find it on the initial shakedown, look for it on their LES breakdown.''

Posts: 165 | Registered: 04 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Sivy2009
posted Hide Post
There is actually a way to do what this guy is saying. I don't think it is for employment though. I thought you could get out of, no more than 90 days, of your contract if you were to be starting school before your contract was up. Of course this is completely up to your CoC and NOT a requirement for them to let you go.

This IS in a regulation somewhere, it's not on me to find it, so good luck OP.

"Sic Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Posts: 447 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of the cruiser
posted Hide Post
I've heard of this but I'm not an expert on the subject. I think it can happen, but it has to be more than just a high paying job. I believe it has to be a once-in-a-lifetime thing to even be considered as a reason to get out. Even then, its not a guarantee, and the CoC is not obligated to release you early.

Posts: 99 | Registered: 14 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of ASENCO
posted Hide Post
CSM said that if you dont owe the Army anyting and if you are indef you can do a 4187 to end your contract. If you show employment with a 6 figures contract... if you get a job like that make sure that when you sign the contract that it says upon your release from the Army by such and such date if not then this contract is void, stuff like that.. but if you are not indef dont even try it,.. also it is up to HRC not your command.. about 99.99% are never let out.. good luck... I know I will be trying it next yr if I dont get picked up..

Posts: 99 | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of the cruiser
posted Hide Post
quote:
and the CoC is not obligated to release you early

I should've said support, not release.

Also, under Indef, you dont need to justify your reason for leaving. You can submit a 4187 at anytime after you've fulfilled your SRR.

To the OP: I've heard of this happening once and it was pre 9-11. I wouldnt count on it these days.

Posts: 99 | Registered: 14 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
It will be a possibility of counting on it VERY soon. It has been YEARS since recruiting and retention have EXCEEDED their goals. Things such as the fat boy programs and other down sizing measures will be back in....at most a couple of years. I don't have a crystal ball, but the numbers tell the future.

Posts: 2604 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post