ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Community Discussion  Hop To Forums  General Discussion    Questions on getting chaptered out
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions on getting chaptered out
 Login/Join

posted
Ok, I know what your thinking while reading this. Another guy trying to get chaptered out because he cant handle the army. This would be wrong... Kind of~~

Anyways this is the story. I'm currently at fort huachuca arizona for AIT. The thing is, for my MOS I need a top secret security clearance. I just want to know how to get chaptered out in case I dont get cleared for my clearance.

Honestly, I came into the army for job opportunities after my service in the army. Meaning after joining the army, serving 4 years, I would finish up college and try to get a job in the FBI or CIA.

Now the dilemma of course is... no clearance... = me being extremely mad. I'm not really in for getting a job in any other MOS. I also heard that if you fail to get a clearance, you must wait a year before you can apply for a job with one. Meaning.... I will probably be put in a job like a cook or something.

Ok, nothing against cooks, but honestly I will not do it. I know there are people out there that like cooking and what not, and I respect that. I think cooks are awsome. But I didn't take a break from college to learn how to cook.

So here is my question. In the case that my security clearance really does not go through, what can i do to get chaptered out. I really dont want to do anything drastic that might ruin my civilian life afterwards... So am I screwed in that aspect or what?? Is there really no choice but for me to continue and work with the MOS that they chose for me??? I really dont want to feign insanity or w/e?!?

Guidance would be appreciated.

Posts: 6 | Registered: 12 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
You signed the contract now man up and fulfill your obligations like a man. That is the best I can tell you.

Posts: 617 | Registered: 25 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Instead of flaming, can anyone put anything that i might find useful?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reiner:

Do you have suspicion that you won't get your clearance? If so, what is the foundation?

"What we see from our tower is for us to know and for you to find out."--The S-2

Posts: 599 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 21 September 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah sure do check this link out....
http://usacac.army.mil/CAC/Staff/osja/punitive.asp

Posts: 617 | Registered: 25 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
most of my platoon have already gotten their clearances cleared. Only like a handful of people don't. I'm one of them~.~

I dont know what would stop my clearance from getting cleared, but if something did, I want to be prepared.

This isnt a joke. This is 4 years of my life on the line. If I cant get the security clearance, I cant get the MOS... if i cant get the mos i get reclassed.

The whole reason i joined was so afterwards i could use the security clearance to get a job in the fbi or cia. After finishing my degree of course. But its much easier with the clearance than without. Plus the job experience as a 35M.

Picture of SGT MESSER
posted Hide Post
Which MOS are you at school for? 35M?

Well check it out soldier, The army is not going to just put in in the cooks job. You need to relax for one thing. Until you hear anything definitive about your cleareance quit stressing. Sometimes they just take longer, do you know of any serious delinquencies on your credit report? Are you seriously in debt?

You can't just "get chaptered out", that is up to your commander.

Posts: 13 | Location: Fort Huachuca, AZ  | Registered: 10 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of MP Casper
posted Hide Post
I have a TS - SCI. It took a little for mine to come in. It had nothing to do with me though. Remember that list of references you gave when applying for your clearance? Well, almost every single one of them gets interviewed by a branch of the government called OPM (Office of Personnel Management). If the OPM is having trouble getting the interviews then it takes longer for your clearance to come through. If you have no convictions in your past, no debts serious enough to make the government think that you will become a traitor or spy, or have any family members with questionable ties to a foreign government, you will be fine. Don't sweat it.

Now on the other note, if there is something that comes up that you tried to hide, it is possible that you could be charged with fraudelent enlistment. I have been an MP for quite some time and this is a very rare charge though. As long as you told the truth, you will get the clearance.

Posts: 156 | Location: West Point, NY | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
So here is my question. In the case that my security clearance really does not go through, what can i do to get chaptered out. I really dont want to do anything drastic that might ruin my civilian life afterwards... So am I screwed in that aspect or what?? Is there really no choice but for me to continue and work with the MOS that they chose for me??? I really dont want to feign insanity or w/e?!?

Guidance would be appreciated.

Remember that NOT so "fine" print you signed a billion copies of?

It says if your original job doesn't go through, you're still commited.

Sure you could go get busted doing drugs or try to beat up an NCO or whatever but it would be a LONG several months to get any sort of chapter- and it would look quite bad on the record.

Or you could get pregnant. (Circumstances permiting, of course.. Wink )

Otherwise be honest on all the questioning, start paying Big Money towards debt, and it should all be fine. Sometimes the clearances just sit a while. Mine took literally almost 2 years, before they 'fixed' the system somewhat..

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5282 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SSG. T
posted Hide Post
quote:
most of my platoon have already gotten their clearances cleared. Only like a handful of people don't. I'm one of them~.~

I dont know what would stop my clearance from getting cleared, but if something did, I want to be prepared.

This isnt a joke. This is 4 years of my life on the line. If I cant get the security clearance, I cant get the MOS... if i cant get the mos i get reclassed.

The whole reason i joined was so afterwards i could use the security clearance to get a job in the fbi or cia. After finishing my degree of course. But its much easier with the clearance than without. Plus the job experience as a 35M.

Four years of your life on the line??? Are you freakin serious? You signed up for it, nobody forced your hand and made you sign the contract! Besides you'd have to spend the next four years of your life somewhere, what better place than the Army to make those four years mean something, instead of living a civilians miserable existance. Now when all your college buddies are running around with their little degrees, struggling to find employment in this horrible jobless economy, you will be chilling, knowing that you won't be laid off, or hungry, or homeless. MP Casper said it best, security clearances take time, yours might be taking a little more time, that's all. You just need to relax, you want to be FBI or CIA or the men in black or whatever, you gotta learn how to take a deep breath and chill out, you're over here spazzing out over the idea of having to be a cook, lol. Wait till the bullets start flying Wink

Posts: 570 | Registered: 29 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
quote:

First of all you are getting worried about things you cannot control, meaning if you are not going to get the clereance there is nothing you can do now to change that unless they allow you to "come clean" and let you get the clearance, is that possible? I dont know.

Two, you signed the contract, if YOU fail to get the clereance, that is not the ARMY's fault, ITS YOURS...so you get reclassed, you will get a list of jobs and you pick from one of those, then later you can apply for a security clereance again...

Besides if you have something so big in your past that will prevent you from getting one, WHY ON EARTH DID YOU PICK A JOB THAT REQUIRES TOP SECRET????

I really think that you are going to get it, its just taking a little longer than other people, same thing happen to a Soldier of mine, took her a little longer than mine but she got it...so calm down and let see what happens ok?

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3915 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 11BIN3ID
posted Hide Post
you signed up...maybe you should have joined for the right reasons... like to support and defend the constitution of the United States...

Posts: 991 | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 11BIN3ID:
you signed up...maybe you should have joined for the right reasons... like to support and defend the constitution of the United States...

Come on now, while I agree with you somewhat, you should know that everyone joins for different reasons, not everyone joins b/c they want to serve their country or b/c they want to continue the family tradition or something...some join for college money, others to get their college loans paid off, to get a bonus so that they can pay off debt, to get out from the environment they live in, to get a way from from a g/f or b/f haha, to support their family...he joined b/c he has a plan, he wants to use the Army to help him achieve his goals of working for the FBI or an agency like that, so whats wrong with that...

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3915 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 11BIN3ID
posted Hide Post
i guess i see your point...but when you swear in, you dont swear to defend the country as long as you get what you want out of it...

Posts: 991 | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 35 Series
posted Hide Post
If it was a breach of contract, I would agree with you that you would be right in trying to find a way out of the Army.

However, you signed knowing you would have to get a TS/SCI. If anything prevents you from getting said clearance there is only one person to blame - you. The Army did not default on your loans or credit. The Army did not make you do drugs. The Army did not make you get that DUI, or whatever other criminal offense you might have done. Whatever you did that is making you worry about getting your clearance the Army has nothing to do with it.

So the cliff notes are - if you don't get your clearance, it's your fault, not the Army's so tough s**t.

"an Army Linguist" - Resources and more about being an Army linguist

Posts: 2327 | Location: CONUS | Registered: 30 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post