ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  NCO Business  Hop To Forums  NCOER    help
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

help
 Login/Join

posted
I received a, lets just say, pretty bad NCOER, i recieved a No in values as a young SGT under loyalty becuase i decided to reclass, although on the back was a 2/2, honest to GOD, my unit felt like i was not loyal to them. Long story short, i signed it because i agreed to the administraive portion. My NCOIC at my new unit has looked at it and 1. asked if i was ever counceled, no. 2. It's just horribly written; run on sentences, misspelled words. Now we took it to the CSM and he said to honestly not worry about...truth in this? BTW way, just received my annual NCOER as a SSG, 1/1, among the best, promote immediately, all that good stuff. So question is, am i completely screwed here?

Posts: 9 | Registered: 22 June 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Public_Health_Huh?
posted Hide Post
Ok....SERIOUSLY?!?!

your rating chain agreed to the NO on loyalty because you reclassed????

My brain hurts, just from reading that!

The NCOER isn't supposed to be used as a UNIT specific criteria driven program. Its meant as an Army-wide standards one. Yes, of course, we all know the bullets, etc etc etc will be specific to your MOS but the values portion should be used to rate your ARMY VALUES, not your values towards a specific unit.

In any event, you should be a tad more specific about in what what you feel you're being screwed. Without having any facts, I would say you should be fine;however, I've also heard that if you get a NO on any of the values block, your career is pretty much dead in today's "transitional environment."

Posts: 200 | Location: Presidio of Monterey, California | Registered: 23 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of GoSignal
posted Hide Post
I agree with 68RVet, I have always heard rumors that a NO in Army Values is a game ender, but I have not actually met anyone with a NO there yet. I'm hoping there is more to the story than just a reclass, but if not, they screwed you. I'd demand some serious paperwork from the rating NCO for such a bulls**t claim.

"It is not titles that honor men, but men that honor titles." -Niccolo Machiavelli, 1515

Posts: 125 | Registered: 25 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 68Rvet:
Ok....SERIOUSLY?!?!

your rating chain agreed to the NO on loyalty because you reclassed????

Yes because i reclassed, dead serious, my unit was about 6 months away from deploying and he felt that i was not a team player because i was leaving the unit before a deployment. Some how he "magically" got the senior rater and reviewr to sign it also..

Posts: 9 | Registered: 22 June 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Public_Health_Huh?
posted Hide Post
Whelp,

Better get started on that appeal process! Especially since big army is starting to do the separation boards, which includes some E6s....

And 6 months prior to deployment is plenty of time to find another capable NCO to fill your slot. (IMO)

Posts: 200 | Location: Presidio of Monterey, California | Registered: 23 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of EL Jefe
posted Hide Post
I'm confused about your NCOER. You say you got a "No" under values for a reclass. What bullet statement was actually put to justify the "no" and under what area was the "no" in? I sense there more to the story and find it hard to believe a senior NCO and the reviewer let it slide. Plus, was it reviewed by a SGM. That is in the reg. A SGM must take a look at all NCOERs. If not, then you may want to start learning the appeals process and see IG about it.

Posts: 52 | Registered: 25 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of machsoldier
posted Hide Post
You should definitely be worried about this. Unless you have re-enlisted indef, I would try and get this taken care of.

Army Regulation 601-280, or AR 601-280, Army Retention Program, the new directive states that "Soldiers in the grade of staff sergeant and above not currently serving on an indefinite re-enlistment contract will be considered unqualified for re-enlistment if their Official Military Personnel File contains one of the following:

• Relief-for-Cause Noncommissioned Officer Evaluation Report, or NCOER

• a "No" listed in Part IV (Army Values, attributes, skills, actions)

• a senior rater rating of 4 (fair) or 5 (poor) in Part V -- Overall Performance and Potential of an NCOER

• a Service School Academic Evaluation Report indicating a failure in an NCO Education System course

Also, 1SG, It is not required for the CSM to review it.

AR 623-3
2–19. Review of noncommissioned officer evaluation reports
a. Every NCOER should should be reviewed by the 1SG, SGM, or CSM to ensure accountability of Soldiers’ evaluation
reports and to oversee the performance of junior NCOs.

I understand "should" and "recommend" when it comes to regulations that most Commands make it mandatory, but it is not.

Posts: 278 | Location: Center of the Universe----Ft. Bragg, NC | Registered: 29 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of EL Jefe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by machsoldier:
You should definitely be worried about this. Unless you have re-enlisted indef, I would try and get this taken care of.

Army Regulation 601-280, or AR 601-280, Army Retention Program, the new directive states that "Soldiers in the grade of staff sergeant and above not currently serving on an indefinite re-enlistment contract will be considered unqualified for re-enlistment if their Official Military Personnel File contains one of the following:

• Relief-for-Cause Noncommissioned Officer Evaluation Report, or NCOER

• a "No" listed in Part IV (Army Values, attributes, skills, actions)

• a senior rater rating of 4 (fair) or 5 (poor) in Part V -- Overall Performance and Potential of an NCOER

• a Service School Academic Evaluation Report indicating a failure in an NCO Education System course

Also, 1SG, It is not required for the CSM to review it.

AR 623-3
2–19. Review of noncommissioned officer evaluation reports
a. Every NCOER should should be reviewed by the 1SG, SGM, or CSM to ensure accountability of Soldiers’ evaluation
reports and to oversee the performance of junior NCOs.

I understand "should" and "recommend" when it comes to regulations that most Commands make it mandatory, but it is not.

I stand corrected. The old reg prior to 2012 required an SGM to review for quality. Either way, the point of the matter is that the "no" has to be justified and his NCO leadership at the senior levels should have caught this. Pretty sure there is more to the story.

Posts: 52 | Registered: 25 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of machsoldier
posted Hide Post
Agreed.

Posts: 278 | Location: Center of the Universe----Ft. Bragg, NC | Registered: 29 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post