ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  NCO Business  Hop To Forums  NCOER    PTSD and NCOER
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PTSD and NCOER
 Login/Join

posted
Ok so this is my first time rating a soldier with PTSD. He was a very high speed SGT, I really had high expectations for him. He tried to commit suicide. He spent a month in the Psyc ward. now he walks around like a zombie. he comes and goes whenever he wants, I am told to let him. He is totaly ineffective as a leader and a soldier. I personaly like the guy and feel for him. he had a very rough deployment.

My question is how do I write his NCOER. I spoke with my CSM about him. he told me to write him a good NCOER and acted like i was tring to screw the guy over for sugjesting that I wright an honest assesment for him. The soldier just started the MEB process. I know that they look at his NCOERs to determine how functional he is, but I feel that I need to explain his short commings in an honest way so that the board will see that he needs to be rated higher.

so am I killing this guys career? does he need to have it ended. Is the time in the psyc ward count as unrated time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ssgsimon,

Posts: 4 | Registered: 26 February 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
whatever you right, just make sure you do it write, alwrite?

Posts: 13 | Registered: 25 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
haha I got it. right

posted Hide Post
Anyone have any real advice?

Picture of Go Ordnance
posted Hide Post
Write him an honest assessment. If his PTSD caused him to be inaffective at work, write a bullet for that.

If the MEB looks at NCOERs for functionality, you need to be honest. If he walks around like a zombie all day, you need to put that in his NCOER. Not literally a zombie, but something that states he has little to no functionality while at work.

"If you do not stand by me at my worst, you WILL NOT stand by me at my best."

Posts: 719 | Location: Fort Lee | Registered: 18 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
thats what i was thinking, but it will be a fight with my CSM. This guy needs to be med boarded. I just don't want him to get to the board and they look at my NCOER and determine that he is fit for duty, becouse he is not.

Picture of Public_Health_Huh?
posted Hide Post
OOH, that's gotta suck....

I'd have to agree. Write an honest assessment about the NCO but I can guarantee you this: You're going to have a hell of a fight with that CSM... even if you were to use open door policy with the commander, they're just going to ask the CSM whats going on...

You know how they say pick your battles? This is one of those cases... Frowner

Posts: 200 | Location: Presidio of Monterey, California | Registered: 23 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
The NCOER is going to be scrutinized by the senior rater and other people in between (1SG, Commander, CSM) so expect there might be changes to what you may deem as "honest". As long as each block has him at least as a success; then write the appropriate bullets.

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of MattU
posted Hide Post
Some perspective from the regs:

AR 623-3 Ch. 3-7b(2)
quote:
(c) The rater will assess the performance and potential of the rated NCO, SGT through CSM, using all reasonable means to prepare a fair and correct report that accurately reflects an evaluation of the NCO’s duty performance, values, NCO responsibilities, and potential.

and

AR 623-3 Ch. 3-24
quote:
(2) The rating chain should note the status of a rated Soldier’s rehabilitation progress or outcome in the current
evaluation or in later reports.

b. A rated Soldier who voluntarily seeks mental health counseling or is entered into a mental health care program for behavioral health issues that have not been detected by the chain of command will not be penalized by mention of this participation in a behavioral health treatment program in an evaluation report. Doing so would discourage selfreferral to obtain assistance from health care professionals when problems exist. In accordance with the Army’s behavioral health goals, leaders should support and encourage Soldiers to obtain the necessary assistance for behavioral health issues (para 3–5b(2)(c)). This lessens the stigma associated with issues that warrant psychological care and treatment. Behavioral health issues include a variety of unusual or inappropriate behaviors that may be associated with post-traumatic stress disorder, mild traumatic brain injuries, combat stress or other stress, and/or suicidal thoughts or tendencies. Once a Soldier has been identified in an evaluation report as having mental health issues based on information obtained independently of any information from health care personnel—

(1) Voluntary entry into mental health counseling or a mental health care program, or evidence of successful treatment to remedy the original behavioral health issue, will be mentioned as a factor to the rated Soldier’s credit.

(2) The rating chain should note the status of a rated Soldier’s behavioral health improvement and/or maintenance of an improved status in the evaluation report covering the period during which the Soldier’s status improved.

So you can/should honestly rate this NCO, and potentially protect his future through the inclusion of his enrollment into mental health programs.

Good Luck with this.

Matt

CH-47D/F Mechanic
Technical Inspector

AR 670-1/Regulation Mafia

Posts: 394 | Location: Camp Humphreys, ROK | Registered: 25 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I don't envy your situation.

Are you able to sit down and talk with this NCO about his condition?

The Army and VA have been known to overmedicate at times.

Possibly try explaining the corner you feel as though you are backed into and ask him about some possible bullets?

Posts: 2619 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I'm sick of the Army bending over backwards to protect the careers of wounded warriors. I appreciate what they are trying to do, but it doesn't help the individual and it doesn't help the Army. When a person is wounded (physically or mentally-combat or non-combat related) to the point that they are not able to function in the Army, it hurts everyone to try and push them through, including the individual. Give them the help they need, the support they need, and the benefits they have earned and deserved, but don't make everyone suffer for the sake of their "career". We all knew when we joined that our careers could be cut short by accident, injury, or death.

Posts: 46 | Registered: 12 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post