ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  NCO Business  Hop To Forums  NCOER    WAS as a first word in bullet - OK/not OK?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WAS as a first word in bullet - OK/not OK?
 Login/Join

Picture of bleednate
posted
1. Have you ever seen or used the word WAS as the first word in a bullet?

2. Do you think it meets the current Army Writing Style standard?

3. Why or why not?

example:
o was selected among seven peers to be squad leader of 12 Soldiers

Posts: 1 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 10 February 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Go Ordnance
posted Hide Post
Just take the word out...problem solved

I personally do not think it meets the army writing style. However, for an NCOER, it is usually dumbed down because how many people will really understand what is trying to be said?

Too many leaders have no idea what it takes to be effective writers. Most are too lazy to look in a thesaurus or even a dictionary. The bullet you posted as an example is a classic copy and paste bullet.

Does that person(you)really have 12 Soldiers? No team leaders?

"If you do not stand by me at my worst, you WILL NOT stand by me at my best."

Posts: 719 | Location: Fort Lee | Registered: 18 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
No, I have not. Leading off with WAS will suggest a passive writing style than active according to regulation.

A proper word is an active verb in the past tense (e.g. Trained) and if WAS was used, it should have been caught by the senior rater, reviewer or 1SG before moving up the chain.

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Nukem1040
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheWiseChief:
No, I have not. Leading off with WAS will suggest a passive writing style than active according to regulation.

A proper word is an active verb in the past tense (e.g. Trained) and if WAS was used, it should have been caught by the senior rater, reviewer or 1SG before moving up the chain.

X2^^^^

When was the last time YOU recited and lived by the NCO Creed?

Posts: 138 | Location: Drum | Registered: 15 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
i dont like "was" or "among"

among sounds like they just picked you at random

"handpicked" and "over" are better to me

Posts: 24 | Registered: 21 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Snack'ums
posted Hide Post
What was the bullet???

Posts: 120 | Location: Augusta,Ga | Registered: 28 July 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post