ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  NCO Business  Hop To Forums  NCOER    No steady position in a year
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No steady position in a year
 Login/Join

posted
How does one write an NCOER for someone who has not held one NCO position, or even worked in a steady job position during an entire year? If an NCO has been shuffled from one temporary assignment to another and filled in on details the entire time, with constantly changing supervisors, and duties, and has not been receiving counselings, how does one even begin to write an NCOER? Let alone an honest assessment of the individual's performance and potential?

Posts: 46 | Registered: 12 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
Ok but how is the NCO slotted? Use that for the description but write bullets on his actual duties.

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
ERB says Overstrength Personnel. Other than that, how do I find out how someone is slotted? I'm not sure this one's even on the MTOE, and the "actual duties" have varied from day to day and week to week.

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
Ok, what is his/her MOS? Where is the NCO currently working at? Did you get to see his last NCOER?

Talk to the senior rater for advice and S1 on how this NCO is slotted.

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
Chief, if his ERB says "overstrength"...he is not slotted, he is "slotted" as overstrength b/c they have no slot for him, all slots for his MOS/rank are taken...they dont even know who the rater is, I wonder if they even have an idea of who a senior rater could be...

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3914 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
As a S1 the first question I would ask the Soldier is if they have been counseled. That you would answer most of the questions posed, but then the fact that you are asking this answers this.

What will mostly likely happen is they BS the eval, and so long as the NCO is good with it, it will go through. If the NCO challenges it though, the unit will lose (IG or appeals).

Posts: 532 | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TransAm95NCO:
Chief, if his ERB says "overstrength"...he is not slotted, he is "slotted" as overstrength b/c they have no slot for him, all slots for his MOS/rank are taken...they dont even know who the rater is, I wonder if they even have an idea of who a senior rater could be...

Understood. I thought in a case like that, he could be double-slotted. I also thought this person was in a WTU or something. Honestly, I never saw anyone that was never assigned to a unit. I know people who are slotted but work in other sections outside of their slot but this is new to me.

Thanks for the info.

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IntheArmyAG:

What will mostly likely happen is they BS the eval

Yes, unfortunately, this does happen. I wonder if the Soldier will get a 3/3 lol.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information/comments...

I'm getting a real "bang head here" moment (because of the system...not your comments).

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheWiseChief:
quote:
Originally posted by TransAm95NCO:

Understood. I thought in a case like that, he could be double-slotted. I also thought this person was in a WTU or something. Honestly, I never saw anyone that was never assigned to a unit. I know people who are slotted but work in other sections outside of their slot but this is new to me.

Thanks for the info.

I was overstrength. Because for some reason my unit had a 19D40 sitting in my slot from the previous deployment. Most of the bullets will detail his duty performance in what ever details/taskings he had. I would just write in whatever his peers have as there job desription.
For Example 92A30 Warehouse NCOIC or something like that.

It's alot of people who work out of job or bounce task to task I'm one of them lol.

Posts: 625 | Registered: 19 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of MattU
posted Hide Post
If he is assigned to a unit, s/he is required BY REGULATION to be incorporated onto the unit's rating scheme. So if s/he is on a unit's AAA-162, then s/he should be on the unit rating scheme. The company orderly room should have access to this, as well as the BN and BDE S-1 Sections.

Matt

CH-47D/F Mechanic
Technical Inspector

AR 670-1/Regulation Mafia

Posts: 394 | Location: Camp Humphreys, ROK | Registered: 25 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post