Reply to "Erroneous NCOER"

quote:
Originally posted by Alphahunter:
No justification:
1. There was never a initial written and signed counseling presented to me period and/or within my first 30 days of my rating period
2. I was never counseled on key points of what was expected of me.
3. I was never quarterly counseled.
4. There was never periodic Follow-up counseling based on observed actions and demonstrated behavior/results on what was done well and what could be done better.
5. I was never negative counseled.
6. I was never positive counseled.
7. I was never given a final Counseling session prior to end of my rating period.

1-3. Yes that should have happened and if I were to spend the time going through the Pam/Reg, I am pretty sure they are required to submit a memo explaining why it didn't happen but short of this being a negative NCOER it isn't going to make any difference.

4. Not required

5. So?

6. And?

7. Not required although it is generally considered a good idea for the rater to go over the eval with you.

Are you saying that the success you got from your rater are correct but you're upset that you didn't get a 1/1? If that is the case then I hate to break it to you but you got what you deserved (and in my personal opinion 2/2 is even a little high.

According to AR623-3 an excellence is
quote:
Excellence. Exceeds standards; demonstrated by specific examples and measurable results; special and unusual; achieved by only a few; clearly better than most others.
while success is
quote:
Success. Meets all standards; majority of ratings are in this category; fully competitive for schooling and promotion. The goal of counseling is to bring all NCOs to this level.
Congrats you did your job to standard! Nothing more, nothing less.

When it comes to the Senior Rater rating for Overall Performance you get:

quote:
— Successful/superior. A “1” rating represents the cream of the crop and is a recommendation for immediate promotion. A “2” rating represents a very good, solid performance and is a strong recommendation for promotion. A “3” rating also represents a good performance and, should sufficient allocations be available, is a recommendation for promotion.
— Fair. Represents NCOs who may require additional training/observation and should not be promoted at this time.

For Overall Potential you get:

quote:
— Successful/superior. A “1” rating represents the cream of the crop and is a recommendation for immediate promotion. A “2” rating represents a very good, solid performance and is a strong recommendation for promotion. A “3” rating also represents a good performance and, should sufficient allocations be available, is a recommendation for promotion.
— Fair. A “4” rating represents NCOs who may require additional training/observation and should not be promoted at this time.

Your senior rater did his job and thinks you should be promoted (it even says it in the description of the rating). Truth be told I have senior rated a Soldier who got all successes he got a 2/3 rating (if you can just get by doing your current job, what makes me think you should be doing the next guys?) As I said in my earlier post, it was once 1/1 was really the only way to be competitive for promotion and it completely lost its meaning. Today, senior raters (like yours) are actually doing their job and giving a fair rating based on the reg and promotion boards are looking for that. If you have one or two good bullets and then the rest fluff with a 1/1, the promotion board is going to ignore the entire report as BS. If you rater/senior rater give a fair rating and the appropriate comments, it will do a lot more for you in the long run. Like I said, if you want to try and appeal it, by all means do but I don't think you will find anyone who has any sympathy for you and you will just waist your time in the end.

Edited for formating