Reply to "Military Outstanding volunteer service medal (MOVSM)"

Here are the facts for the MOVSM award (I should know, I'm currently stuck working as the awards NCO for a Brigade level command).
Per AR 600-8-22, para 2-16
"To qualify for award of the MOVSM a service member's volunteer service must meet the following requirements: (1) be to the civilian community, to include the military family community. (2) Be significant in nature and produce tangible results. (3) reflect favorably on the Military Service and the Department of Defense. (4) be of a sustained and direct nature." Furthermore, there is no set amount of volunteer hours, or set time period to qualify for the award, but it is not given for individual acts or achievements. It also cannot be awarded more than one time per tour.

While I support previous poster's desire to recommend their Soldiers for this award, I am disappointed to see how many of them "care enough to recommend", but do not care enough to write a genuine award. If it means enough to you to recommend the Soldier, then write it yourself. The bullets are no different than that of an AAM or ARCOM, simply the information imparted is different. Citations should reference what/how the Soldier made the impact, not be some generic catch all that you as a recommender use for each award you write. Take some pride in your job and your Soldiers, and write a unique award that actually HONORS the Soldier's efforts. I've never understood why NCO's seem to love taking a shortcut where awards are concerned. If the Soldier earned the honors, then do them justice and write a good one... not some cookie cutter piece of trash.