Reply to "new GWOT-EM criteria?"

quote:
Originally posted by WIT:
I didnt know they stopped giving the ACM, when did that happen?
One of my points was that the table of time frames they using or the new GWOT-EM says even time after 2005 is elegible

Ok, I should not typed no longer issue since technically, it is still valid but with the end of Operation Enduring Freedom and the end of the combat mission in Afghanistan, it should cease just like the Iraq Campaign Medal stopped after the end of the combat mission in Iraq.

http://www.militarytimes.com/s...tan-medals/23123785/

Last year, the Pentagon revived the GWOT Expeditionary Medal as a way to recognize service members deployed to Iraq as a part of Operation Inherent Resolve. The Iraq Campaign Medal was closed at the end of 2011 with the withdrawal of U.S. combat troops.

The GWOT Expeditionary Medal was established in 2003 and for years was used mainly to recognize troops who deployed overseas in support of operations in Iraq and Afghanistan but did not actually put boots on the ground in either country. That included pilots and sailors who provided support from surrounding land and sea areas.

Meanwhile, the Pentagon is revising regulations for recognizing troops serving in Afghanistan. Troops there will likely continue to be eligible for the Afghanistan Campaign Medal, but at the moment they're technically ineligible for that award because the Afghanistan mission this year is no longer officially part of Operation Enduring Freedom.

Operations in Afghanistan involving the roughly 10,000 U.S. troops who remain were recently renamed Operation Freedom's Sentinel. Pentagon personnel officials are finalizing the paperwork that will add Operation Freedom's Sentinel to the list of approved missions eligible for the Afghanistan Campaign Medal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq_Campaign_Medal <---Iraq Campaign medal is listed as inactive.

Status Inactive (31 December 2011)

And yes, I wrote there were Soldiers getting the GWOT-EM after 2005; because they served in areas such as Cuba and Kuwait.