Reply to "Soldier with Permanent 'NO PT Test Run' profile still running"

You state that your soldier is up for promotion. You also stated that “Also, if all a Soldier has to do is max pushups and situps and then they get a 300, why WOULDN'T I want to stay on the profile as long as possible?”

You are mistaken about the possibility of getting 300 points on the PT test. According to the old FM 21-20 and also U.S. Army TC 3-22.20 Army Physical Readiness Training (Supersedes FM 21-20) August 2010 Version. the most a soldier can receive if maxing PU and SU is 200 plus a “GO” for the alternate event.

U.S. Army TC 3-22.20 Army Physical Readiness Training (Supersedes FM 21-20) Paragraph A-40:
A-40. Soldiers on permanent physical profile are given a DA Form 3349. This form annotates exercises and activities suitable for the profiled Soldier. The form also stipulates the events and/or alternate aerobic event the Soldier will do on the APFT. The Soldier must perform all regular APFT events his profile permits. Each Soldier must score a minimum of 60 points on each regular event taken to PASS. The profiled Soldier must complete the alternate aerobic event in a time equal to or less than the one listed in Table A-1. The Soldier must receive a minimum passing score in the alternate event taken to PASS the test. Soldiers profiled for two or more events must take the two-mile run or an alternate aerobic event to PASS the test. Soldiers who cannot perform the 2-mile run or an alternate aerobic event cannot be tested. There is no point score annotated on the DA Form 705 for the performance of alternate aerobic events. These events are scored as a GO or NO GO.
(August 2010 Version)

And for us “old school” soldiers, FM 21-20 Paragraph 14-12:
14-12 Permanent Profiles. A permanently profiled soldier is given a physical training program by the profiling officer using the positive profile form DA 3349 (see Appendix B). The profiling officer gives the unit’s commander a list of physical activities that are suitable for the profiled soldier. He also indicates the events and/or alternate aerobic event that the soldier will do on the APFT. This recommendation, made after consultation with the profiled soldier, should address the soldier’s abilities and preference and the equipment available. (See DA Form 3349, Physical Profile, referenced in AR 40-501.)
The profiled soldier must perform all the regular APFT events his medical profile permits. Each soldier must earn at least 60 points on the regular events to receive a “go.” He must also complete the alternate event in a time equal to or less than the one listed for his age group. For example, a soldier whose profile forbids only running will do the push-up and sit-up events and an alternate aerobic event. He must get at least a minimum passing score on each event to earn a “go” for the test. A soldier whose profile prevents two or more APFT events must complete the 2-mile run or an alternate aerobic event to earn a “go” on the test. Soldiers who cannot do any of the aerobic events due to a profile cannot be tested. Such information will be recorded in their official military record.
The standards for alternate events are listed in Figure 14-9. Scoring for all alternate events is on a go/no go basis. Soldiers who do push-up and sit-up events but who take an alternate aerobic event are not awarded promotion points for APFT performance.

http://www.physicallytrained.com/

All this being said, your soldier is up for promotion. Why not point out to him that if he has his profile changed to where he runs for the APFT, he will be able to earn more promotion points, and that also having the “Physical Fitness Badge” annotated in his 201 File will make him look “high speed” to the Command, and whoever else reads his promotion packet?

Tell him that you are concerned about his profile because you don’t want other soldiers to be getting the wrong idea about him…

quote:
Originally posted by LuckyLu:
NCOs,

I have a Soldier who received a permanent profile a year or two ago and at the time he was having knee pain issues. Over the last two years he has successfully rehabilitated and is now running more than most other guys in my section. He has made some posts on Facebook about him running eight miles in an hour, running a 13:15 two mile, and other impressive accomplishments.

I don't have any reason to doubt he's done these things, but my question is, what can I do to get him off of his profile? He has told me he wants to wait longer to see if his knees are truly healed, but I think at this point he's just holding on to the profile so he doesn't have to run the PT test.

What are my options?