19 College Student

Hi, my name is Chris. and I'm looking into joining the National Guard. My Dad was in the USMC for around 18 years and left as a warrant. He recently joined the National Guard Reserve to finish his pension and has been telling me the benefits are too good to pass up on.

I'm currently going to a Community College as a Computer Science Major. I have a 3.1 Average (Not that smart so bust my ass to get decent grades) I'm 5'11 and way about 120lb. I haven't talked to a recruiter yet but I'm wondering if any of you guys could present me with any paths I could take into the National Guard.

Thank you.
Original Post
To go in as an Officer you'll need a degree. You can do ROTC while in school and commission upon graduation (Bachelor's) OR

Apply for OCS and get through it. That one requires the degree upfront.

You might check if you can enlist Nat'l Guard and still do ROTC while in college. Don't know if you can though.
What is it that you really want from the Army? Is there any specific benefits you are interested in? Your dad was referring to retirement? Insurance? Or was he talking about the military as a profession?

It depends on what you want over a long run.

You can join ROTC, but you must commission before age 32 (with a waiver).
ROTC Pros: Easiest way to comission.
ROTC Cons: You will be committed to the ROTC program.

OCS is a possibility. It's highly competitive now. So 3.1 GPA is a bit low.
OCS Pros: You can finish your degree with having any commitments (excluding student loans Smiler
OCS Cons: Hard to get into.

You can just always enlist too, but I am sure everyone here would recommend to say in School.

I recommend, Join NG, go to basic, finish your degrees in the ROTC. Commission and spend a few years in the military. Good luck.

p.s. 5'11" 120lbs is too light. Spend some time in the gym, unless you are a stud already and just light naturally.
Hey thanks so much for the reply atp.

Some things I want out of the military are the retirement insurance, job security and just being in the military. My family is very military family and I want to continue the lineage. Like I said before, my Dad was a warrant in the USMC, and my brother is currently in the USMC. I've wanted to be in the military since I was a little kid, but decided to choose College over USMC enlistment after High School, the thought of it kind of went on the back burner.

I can see how useful of a tool the military can be. I'm sick of going just to school and work and not doing anything that really doesn't mean anything. I want to do something exciting and meaningful, that's for the greater good for my community and country...

And yeah, I'm just very very skinny. I eat a lot and work out, I'm fit just skinny. I'm trying to gain weight, my body just doesn't like it Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by atp:
What is it that you really want from the Army? Is there any specific benefits you are interested in? Your dad was referring to retirement? Insurance? Or was he talking about the military as a profession?

It depends on what you want over a long run.

You can join ROTC, but you must commission before age 32 (with a waiver).
ROTC Pros: Easiest way to comission.
ROTC Cons: You will be committed to the ROTC program.

OCS is a possibility. It's highly competitive now. So 3.1 GPA is a bit low.
OCS Pros: You can finish your degree with having any commitments (excluding student loans Smiler
OCS Cons: Hard to get into.

You can just always enlist too, but I am sure everyone here would recommend to say in School.

I recommend, Join NG, go to basic, finish your degrees in the ROTC. Commission and spend a few years in the military. Good luck.

p.s. 5'11" 120lbs is too light. Spend some time in the gym, unless you are a stud already and just light naturally.

Because the NG is run by the state, your CoC is the Gov. while on title 32 status (Title 10 changes it to the President). Because of that each state has its own OCS.

Just as an example http://co.ng.mil/arng/officers/ocs/default.aspx

Note the Requirments;
"60 Credit Hrs (Official College Transcript) with a following transcript indicating 90 credit hrs to be commissioned.
GT score of 110 or above.
Must be able to obtain Secret security clearance.
Soldier preferably between the ages of 21yrs - 41yrs & 364 days. Must be commissioned prior to 42nd birthday.
US Citizen"

Add Reply

Likes (0)