501st MI in Yongsan

hopefully you'll end up in Yongsan. When you first get to Korea, you'll go to first replacement and that's when you'll actually get your true pinpoint orders. When I was in Yongsan back in 07, the MP's did what MP's do here in the states. The patrol the base, write tickets, guide traffic, and they also go out with ROK Army MPs and patrol off base looking for GIs in the brothels. Although prostitution is not necessarily legal in Korea, it isn't something that's really enforced by the Korean law enforcement, however there are more off limits establishments outside the Yongsan gates than anywhere else I've been in the military.

As for Yongsan it's self, it's one of the best places you can end up. Your pretty much right there in the Seoul so there are a million and one things you can do with your free time. I'm not sure how much has changed since I've been there, but I had a blast. You just have to be smart, have a plan, and at least $100 in Korean currency incase you wander too far away from home and need to get back in a hurry. Your best bet is to learn the subway system, you'll save a ton of money that would be spent on a taxi. I could go on and on, but you'll be there soon enough, rest assured it will be an experience like no other.
MSG W,

From what I am hearing, the MP slot for 501st are PSD type slots? (I am PSD trained with D7 ASI if that helps with anything?). Any knowledge any that? The assignments just showed up on my ERB as 501MI COMPO 1. Damn near every MP here is getting orders to Korea but I am the only one who got these. Everyone else has Casey or Humphreys. I think one got Daegu. Just trying to prep. Report date isn't till next summer but I like to know what I'm getting myself into..lol. Thanks everyone and keep the advice coming!!!
MP Casper,

I'm going to take an educated guess and say that you will probably be working the security detail for a Secure Facility.

Every single Theater Intelligence Brigade has MPs assigned to it for this reason.

Whether your gaining unit actually decides to utilize you for this purpose remains to be seen. Are you H3 qualified? Do you have a sponsor yet?
quote:
Originally posted by JC351LP:
MP Casper,

I'm going to take an educated guess and say that you will probably be working the security detail for a Secure Facility.

Every single Theater Intelligence Brigade has MPs assigned to it for this reason.

Whether your gaining unit actually decides to utilize you for this purpose remains to be seen. Are you H3 qualified? Do you have a sponsor yet?

Bingo this response!! MP Casper, I just talked to an MP E-6 that is in-processing and he said that most like you will be working in a SCIF. Unless a General Officer will require a PSD detail is a different story but this is most likely how you will be slotted.
quote:
Originally posted by TheWiseChief:
quote:
Originally posted by JC351LP:
MP Casper,

Bingo this response!! MP Casper, I just talked to an MP E-6 that is in-processing and he said that most like you will be working in a SCIF. Unless a General Officer will require a PSD detail is a different story but this is most likely how you will be slotted.

I am enjoying my day over here and here is a shot I took from the bus
I can tell you EXACTLY what you will be doing. I did 3 years at Yongsan (Sep 2010~Oct 2013). You will be working in one of 2 slots: SCIF guard at the Seobinggo Compound just right outside of Yongsan base =OR= detached to 532d MI BN and working the larger SCIFish area down in CP Humphreys. It sounds to me like it will be the former rather than the latter.

You and your fellow MPs will be doing shift work. I hope they have a better schedule now than they did back towards the end of my tour last year.

You will be falling in with BDE S-2. Your only job will be pulling guard duty for the SCIF...it will be like super CQ or Staff Duty every other day for a year or however long you will stay. You will be duty exempt, naturally, but will get off duty for the occasional M9 range.

It is a pretty chill job...don't be so down. Enjoy Seould while you're there. Everyone working there (in Seobinggo compound) got BAS (minus the KATUSAs, of course) up until Sep. 2013 cuz everyone else in the BDE got jelly and the ONE DFAC on Yongsan that is ALL THE WAY ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF POST started crying about lack of support (funds). But we fought the good fight...telling them that Seobinggo Soldiers work OUTSIDE of Yongsan and can't always make it in time due to the flood of KATUSAs and other Soldiers actually working on Yongsan. But no dice. They took our....well THEIR BAS and provided a bus that leaves Yongsan and picks up at Seobinggo. Maybe they came to their senses and gave the money back to them...idk.

Anything else you want to know?
I think that you've included way too much information about who works there, what they do, the fact that a SCIF is there. You are even describing the security system.

I know you want to help someone out, but I think you need to remove about 40% of your post.
As a Cyber auditor, I have seen unclass docs with TMI on the Seobingo (usually spelled without the G) compound than compared to his post.

But the MSG is correct, I will dress it down a bit and not even mention the sleeping on duty part. I think you are proposing dereliction of duty. Smiler

OPSEC is cut and dry and sometimes there appears to be grey areas where people get confused on. But I will try to keep it off the public net as much as possible.
quote:
Originally posted by MSG W:
I think that you've included way too much information about who works there, what they do, the fact that a SCIF is there. You are even describing the security system.

I know you want to help someone out, but I think you need to remove about 40% of your post.

You are right....it was an honest mistake; but I must be more careful. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. As you can see, I have edited that post to only information that is basic, common knowledge and OPSEC-friendly.
quote:
Originally posted by TheWiseChief:
As a Cyber auditor, I have seen unclass docs with TMI on the Seobingo (usually spelled without the G) compound than compared to his post.

But the MSG is correct, I will dress it down a bit and not even mention the sleeping on duty part. I think you are proposing dereliction of duty. Smiler

OPSEC is cut and dry and sometimes there appears to be grey areas where people get confused on. But I will try to keep it off the public net as much as possible.

I didn't think it was too harmful at the time; but after reading it again, it did present some OPSEC concerns...so I edited it.

Speaking of OPSEC, that pic you posted should "disappear" as well....especially since it is a shot of something that gives directions to locations on a U.S. military facility located in a foreign nation on a site that any nationality could probably access....even I created this account years ago from abroad....jussayin ^_^

Add Reply

Likes (0)