51C Information

If there is anyone who is interested in this wildy under-advertised MOS, please feel free to ask any questions and I will answer to the best of my ability. Here are the brief requirements:

Prerequisites for MOS 51C:

(1) For (Active Component) SGTs (who meet the minimum requirement for promotion to SSG), SGT (P) through SFC with less than 10 years of Active Federal Service in any Career Management Field at time of submission for reclassification.

(2) For (Reserve Component) SSG - SFC with less than 10 years of Active Federal Service in any Career Management Field at time of submission for reclassification.

(3) Recommendation letter signed by a battalion commander O5 and higher.

(4) Successful completion of a Leadership Tour (NCOER).

(5) Copy of college transcripts or a diploma from an accredited institution.

(6) Copies of training certification related to contract training if applicable.

(7) Letter that verifys a Secret or Interim Secret clearance.

(8) No derogatory information in OMPF.

(9) Exhibit stability in personal affairs IAW 600-20.

(10) Meet height and weight standard IAW 600-9.

I've had a few people ask me questions privately, but I'm a firm believer in sharing information publicly.
Original Post
Acquisitions. I believe that it used to be an ASI in the 92 series, maybe you can chime in on that one 51C. Where can 51C soldiers get stationed? Are the 51C's the soldiers that can authorize 10 mil on a signature? From the outside looking in thats what is seems like, can't confirm the accuracy though.
51C technically is an Acquistions, Logistics, and Technology NCO.

The stationing system is modeled slightly off of the SF model where there are individual teams as opposed to a traditional unit. The CCT (Contigency Contracting Team) consists of a MAJ, CPT, SFC, and SSG while a SCCT (Senior team) consists of a LTC, MAJ, MSG, SFC. There is a CCT associated with just about every installation Army-wide and usually at least a SCCT with every division.

While we provide support to units, we actually are actually a part of AMC (Army Material Command) under ACC (Army Contracting Command) and further under ECC (Expeditionay Contracting Command) commanded by BG Camille Nichols and CSM John Murray.

As Corvette1140 stated, the MOS used to be filled by Supply individuals who would typically do the job for 2-3 years, then cycle back into the regular, however due to regulatory guidance, and ever-changing acquisition laws, this was not working. The MOS was formed to train individuals, and keep them in the job.

Usually in a garrison enviroment we work out of a DOC (Directorate of Contracting) providing base support for commericial items and services to the organizations on that installation for any item that is outside of the supply chain. This is not a job for individuals who can not work for, possibly get rated by, or possibly supervise civilians in the same field.

While deployed either to theatre or a contigency operation, we perform the same functions. Pretty much if you were in Iraq/Afghan and needed something that was outside the DOD supply chain, either a 51C NCO or a 51C officer did the market research, competed to obtain best value, and procured the item.

On a contingency basis (think Hurricane Katrina disaster relief) we are the first people in and provide all life support function (i.e contract water, shelter, food, transportation). Once it is established, we move to a sustainment phase and eventually work on getting people out.

Upon certification, yes Soldiers are warranted Contracting Officers of the United States and can sign contracts up to their warrant obligating government funds.

The MOS does REQUIRE a bachelors degree within three years of ascession into the MOS. It is also the only MOS I believe with a degree completion program for both the bachelor and master degree levels, this is usually reserved for officers.

Projected end-strength for NCOs is I believe around 350 active Army-wide. Training for the MOS is either conducted at Lackland AFB (small chance) or at the ALMC campus at the University of Alabama-Huntsville. It is a graduate level course and is definetly not your typical military course. It is attended by senior CPT/junior MAJ who swap over to the Acquisition cmf and also by DA civilians. It is considered BNCOC equivalent. The intermediate course is conducted in Huntsville also and is ANCOC equivalent.
Sounds like it has about the same washout rate as Career Counselors. It's a really awesome MOS with excellent opportunity for advancement. 51C what was your feeder MOS into 51C? Did you find that people that weren't associated with 92 series before had an unusually hard time at the school?
I was a 63T/M for the first seven years (Bradley mechanic) and a 88M for the following two years before I swapped over. While I admit the job isn't for everyone, if you don't a) mind dealing with a lot of people outside the Army, b) can deal with numbers and the responsibility that comes with dealing huge amounts of money , then most people will be able to adapt into the job.

It is NOT a job though where someone can come in and expect to sham or have someone else pick up the slack.
Interesting MILPER, shows how much they are trying to recruit people..
---
MILPER MESSAGE NUMBER : 09-113
AHRC-EPF-R
SPECIAL MOS ALIGNMENT PROMOTION PROGRAM (SMAPP)

2. THE SPECIAL MOS ALIGNMENT PROMOTION PROGRAM (SMAPP) IDENTIFIES SPECIFIC CRITICAL SKILL MOS SOLDIERS MAY RECLASSIFY INTO TO SATISFY ARMY READINESS REQUIREMENTS. SOLDIERS WHO VOLUNTEER FOR RECLASSIFICATION INTO ONE OF THE PROGRAM’S DESIGNATED MOS WILL BE PROMOTED EFFECTIVE THE FIRST DAY OF THE MONTH FOLLOWING COURSE GRADUATION AND AWARD OF THE NEW MOS. THIS MESSAGE WILL BE CITED AS THE AUTHORITY FOR PROMOTION IN THE PROMOTION ORDER.

3. ALL SOLDIERS SUBMITTING AN APPLICATION FOR ENTRY INTO THE SMAPP:

A. DO NOT HAVE TO BE PROMOTABLE, BUT THEY MUST MEET QUALIFICATIONS FOR PROMOTION TO THE NEXT HIGHER RANK INCLUDING NCOES TRAINING AND MINIMUM TIME IN SERVICE AND TIME IN GRADE REQUIREMENTS.

B. FOR PROMOTION TO STAFF SERGEANT: MOS 51C, ACQUISITION, LOGISTICS, AND TECHNOLOGY CONTRACTING NCO:

(1) MUST BE A SERGEANT; UPON GRADUATION AND AWARD OF THE MOS, SOLDIERS WILL BE PROMOTED TO STAFF SERGEANT.

(2) THE 51C COURSE IS APPROVED AS THE BNCOC EQUIVALENT FOR THE MOS. SOLDIERS REQUIRING BNCOC CREDIT WHEN SELECTED FOR RECLASSIFICATION ARE REQUIRED TO ATTEND THE TRADOC COMMON CORE TRAINING PRIOR TO ATTENDING 51C RECLASSIFICATION TRAINING.

(3) INFORMATION AND APPLICATION PROCEDURES FOR RECLASSIFICATION INTO MOS 51C CAN BE FOUND AT HTTP://ASC.ARMY.MIL/CAREER/APPLICATIONS.CFM. UPON APPROVAL, SOLDIERS MUST PROVIDE THE APPROVAL MEMORANDUM TO THEIR SERVICING CAREER COUNSELOR TO OBTAIN A RECLASSIFICATION CONTROL NUMBER (RCN). RECLASSIFICATION IS NOT COMPLETE UNTIL THE RCN IS ISSUED BY HRC-ALEXANDRIA.

(4) SOLDIERS INCUR A 60 MONTH SRR UPON GRADUATION AND AWARD OF THE MOS. UPON APPROVAL OF REQUEST FOR RECLASSIFICATION, SOLDIERS MUST TAKE APPROPRIATE ACTION (REENLIST OR EXTEND) PRIOR TO DEPARTURE FOR TRAINING.

5. SOLDIERS WHO FAIL TO COMPLETE TRAINING AS SCHEDULED OR BECOME DISQUALIFIED FOR AWARD OF THE NEW MOS OR PROMOTION AFTER ACCEPTANCE INTO THE SMAPP, WILL NOT BE ELIGIBLE FOR PROMOTION UNDER THE PROVISIONS OF THIS PROGRAM.
Hey, thanks for the information. I'm looking into this.

Questions:
Time between deployments, how many deployments you guys got? 1 yr every 2 yrs or so?

Time for school: Is college encouraged during the duty day etc to get the degree completed? Is there a requirement to what degree I want to complete?

If a person is accepted into the MOS and reclassified, are they still able to put in a packet for say Green to Gold or the AMEDD Nurse Program later on?

Thanks SFC.
I am very much interested in this. I re enlisted a few months ago. Looking back I wish I would have re classed to this. I think I would have been perfect for this job. Its very similar to what i did in the Marines. And some what similar to what I do in the Army. My question is do I have to wait until I am eligible to re-up again in order to re class to this ? I imagine so but just wanted to be sure. I was going to stop by the Material command and ask a few questions since I am here on Belvoir. But that wont be necessary since you are posting all of the info.
quote:
Originally posted by DevilDog 2Soldier:
I am very much interested in this. I re enlisted a few months ago. Looking back I wish I would have re classed to this. I think I would have been perfect for this job. Its very similar to what i did in the Marines. And some what similar to what I do in the Army. My question is do I have to wait until I am eligible to re-up again in order to re class to this ? I imagine so but just wanted to be sure. I was going to stop by the Material command and ask a few questions since I am here on Belvoir. But that wont be necessary since you are posting all of the info.

This action is considered a voluntary re-classification and does not require a re-enlistment to obtain. The only re-enlistment actions involved are a) has to go through you local Career counselor to get counseled on the applicable portions b) have to have at least 60 months remaining after award of the MOS.
quote:
Originally posted by pyroandbozzt:
Hey, thanks for the information. I'm looking into this.

Questions:
Time between deployments, how many deployments you guys got? 1 yr every 2 yrs or so?

Typically the plan is upon reclassification and assignment to your first unit, they try to stabilize you for at least one year with no major deployment (i.e Iraq/Afghan). This isn't to say that you won't go TDY to a short term assignment like NTC, etc. Assignments to Iraq/Afghan are 1 year.

quote:
Time for school: Is college encouraged during the duty day etc to get the degree completed? Is there a requirement to what degree I want to complete?

Both of two BNs I have been in give ample time during the day to do school work. For example, during the last semester I completed three classes and I did the majority of the work during the day.

quote:

If a person is accepted into the MOS and reclassified, are they still able to put in a packet for say Green to Gold or the AMEDD Nurse Program later on?

There is a 60 month SRR for the program. I am not familiar with anyone trying to get out of it.

Thanks SFC.[/QUOTE]
quote:
My question is do I have to wait until I am eligible to re-up again in order to re class to this ?

Like 51C stated, you can submit a voluntary reclasification after you've been approved by the 51C branch.

You will most likely reenlist for 6 years to meet the 60 month service remaining requirement; this will occur before you go to school.
quote:
Originally posted by ArmyReenlistment:
quote:
My question is do I have to wait until I am eligible to re-up again in order to re class to this ?

Like 51C stated, you can submit a voluntary reclasification after you've been approved by the 51C branch.

You will most likely reenlist for 6 years to meet the 60 month service remaining requirement; this will occur before you go to school.

I will go see my local Career counselor. But I doubt if they are going to let me out of "Old guard" anytime soon but I can still see about it...thanks for the info.
quote:
Sorry I had a brain fart. Yes it is a 36 month commitment. By the time I get done with this assignment I will have more then 10 yrs active federal service. It was a nice thought but I guess it isn't happening. Thanks for the info.

They will accept TIS waivers up to 14 years I believe.
While they will entertain TIS waivers, what is the likelihood that they will be approved? Did you personally know anyone above the 10 yr mark that made the cut? I really feel I am cut out for the MOS, but I have some great things lined up with Respiratory Therapy. I go to school for it in a year and my obligation is finished at roughly 14 yrs TIS. My only concern w/ it is SLOW promo. Where if I run into a brick wall I will go 35L, 51C or AMEDD.
quote:
Originally posted by Corvette1140:
While they will entertain TIS waivers, what is the likelihood that they will be approved? Did you personally know anyone above the 10 yr mark that made the cut? I really feel I am cut out for the MOS, but I have some great things lined up with Respiratory Therapy. I go to school for it in a year and my obligation is finished at roughly 14 yrs TIS. My only concern w/ it is SLOW promo. Where if I run into a brick wall I will go 35L, 51C or AMEDD.

When I went through school, out of 12 NCOS present for training, only two of us had under 10 years. The highest I saw was an individual with 16 years. I have a Soldier reporting to me next month with 13 years, so I know for a fact that they are still taking TIS waivers.
I am in the course right now being given in D.C., then Huntsville. It is alot of information to retain and alot of responsibility, but it is worth it because of the opportunities available while enlisted and after retirement I think. SGM Jones, the head enlisted 51C, told us they are looking to reclass alot of NCOs within the next two years.
He wants us to tell NCOs about the MOS. If anyone needs the powerpoint slide, send me a text.
Wait until you get to Huntsville for the course down here. First time I've seen people literally crying because of the course work. It is by far the hardest class I've ever had to take. But on a good note, it is designed to help you pass, just like Jae_3 said, it is a huge amount of information over a 9 week period.

Huge opportunities both in and after retirement though.
Sweet Jesus it sounds hard as hell. What would be a good source of info before a person went to the course, like a textbook, AR, or FM? What happens if a person washes out of the course? Do they get one more shot at the class (kind of like a recycle) or do they become needs of the Army and involuntary reclassed? Or do they just go back to their last MOS?
quote:
Sweet Jesus it sounds hard as hell. What would be a good source of info before a person went to the course, like a textbook, AR, or FM? What happens if a person washes out of the course? Do they get one more shot at the class (kind of like a recycle) or do they become needs of the Army and involuntary reclassed? Or do they just go back to their last MOS?

There really isn't anything you can study as the course isn't taught to an "Army" standard. It is based off of DAU (Defense Aquisition University) which is a federal standard that all aquistion personnel must adhere by as far as training requirements. This includes Program Management, Test and Development, Software Acquisition personnel etc.

There are courses through DAU that you can take that will cover the material taught in the course, but it won't give you any edge in the class.

While the class is difficult, the way it is graded it is hard to fail out of. I know of only one individual who has failed out in the past year. I'm not sure what happened to him.

You can do extremely poor in the individual exercises, but typically it the groupwork that will carry you through. My group for example, was myself, a SSG, MAJ, CPT, and a DA civilian. We spent a lot of time together over the 8-9 weeks.
quote:
Originally posted by 68X Lumpy:
What duty stations are 51C used at?

While the official stationing plan for the MOS is FOUO, if there was someplace in particular you were asking about or close to, I could answer that. I wouldn't feel comfortable posting a list of the duty stations and units on a public site.
New MILPER posted today about this..

----

Milper Message Number
09-141

Proponent
AHRC-EPF-M

Title
ANNOUNCEMENT OF SOLDIERS REQUESTING RECLASSIFICATION INTO MOS 51C

...Issued: [17 Jun 09]...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. MILPER MESSAGE 07-211, AHRC-EPF-M, ANNOUNCEMENT OF SOLDIERS REQUESTING RECLASSIFICATION TO MOS 51C, IS RESCINDED EFFECTIVE ON THE ISSUE DATE OF THIS MESSAGE.

2. REFERENCE:

A. AR 600-8-19, ENLISTED PROMOTIONS AND REDUCTIONS.

B. AR 601-280, ARMY RETENTION PROGRAM.

C. AR 614-200, ENLISTED ASSIGNMENTS AND UTILIZATION MANAGEMENT.

D. DA PAM 351-4, US ARMY FORMAL SCHOOLS CATALOG.

E. DA PAM 611-21, MILITARY OCCUPATIONAL CLASSIFICATION AND STRUCTURE.

F. MILPER MESSAGE 09-113, SPECIAL MOS ALIGNMENT PROMOTION PROGRAM (SMAPP).

3. AS THE ARMY CONTINUES TO TRANSFORM AND SUPPORT THE OVERSEAS CONTINGENCY OPERATIONS, IT IS CRITICAL THAT OUR SOLDIERS SERVE IN CRITICAL SKILLS.

4. HUMAN RESOURCES COMMAND – ALEXANDRIA (HRC-A) IS ACCEPTING VOLUNTEER RECLASSIFICATION REQUESTS FOR MILITARY OCCUPATIONAL SPECIALITY (MOS) 51C – ACQUISITION, LOGISTICS, AND TECHNOLOGY CONTRACTING NONCOMMISSIONED OFFICER FROM SGT (WHO MEET THE MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR CONSIDERATION FOR PROMOTION TO SSG) THROUGH SFC.

5. IAW AR 600-8-19, PARAGRAPH 3-6E, AND THE CURRENT SMAPP MILPER MESSAGE, UPON SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF 51C RECLASSIFICATION TRAINING, SOLDIERS IN THE RANKS OF SGT AND SGT(P) WILL BE PROMOTED TO STAFF SERGEANT AND RECEIVE BNCOC CREDIT, IF REQUIRED. THOSE SOLDIERS WHO HAVE NOT ATTENDED BNCOC MUST CONTACT THEIR UNIT TRAINING NCO TO ENROLL IN THE FORSCOM DISTANCE LEARNING COMMON CORE TRAINING PRIOR TO SUBMITTING THEIR RECLASSIFICATION REQUEST.

6. SOLDIERS APPROVED FOR RECLASSIFICATION INCUR A 60 MONTH SERVICE REMAINING REQUIREMENT AND ARE REQUIRED TO REENLIST/EXTEND PRIOR TO ATTENDING TRAINING.

7. RECLASSIFICATION REQUESTS MUST BE SUBMITTED VIA CERTIFIED MAIL TO USAASC, ATTN: 51C PROPONENT, BLDG 201, 9900 BELVOIR ROAD, FORT BELVOIR, VA 22060. PRIOR TO SUBMITTING AN APPLICATION, CONTACT THE PROPONENT AT 703.805.2732 (DSN: 655.2732) TO ENSURE COMPLETENESS AND COMPLIANCE WITH RECLASSIFICATION INSTRUCTIONS.

8. COMMANDERS, CAREER COUNSELORS, SUPERVISORS, AND SOLDIERS SHOULD VISIT THE US ARMY ACQUISITION SUPPORT CENTER WEBSITE AT HTTP://ASC.ARMY.MIL/CAREER/PROGRAMS/NCO/DEFAULT.CFM FOR DETAILED INFORMATION ABOUT THE PREREQUISITES, QUALIFICATIONS, AND INSTRUCTIONS FOR REQUESTING RECLASSIFICATION INTO MOS 51C. TIME IN SERVICE WAIVERS ARE ACCEPTED ON A CASE-BY-CASE BASIS; HOWEVER, THE GT SCORE REQUIREMENT OF 110 IS NONWAIVERABLE.

9. SOLDIERS INTERESTED IN SUBMITTING A REQUEST FOR MOS 51C SHOULD CONTACT THEIR LOCAL CAREER COUNSELOR TO DETERMINE THEIR ELIGIBILITY FOR RECLASSIFICATION AND FOR ADDITIONAL ASSISTANCE.

10. POC THIS MESSAGE IS SFC SOU J. LESTER, HRC 51C PDNCO, EMAIL: SOU.J.LESTER@US.ARMY.MIL.
My question is, i want more info on this MOS..My ETS is 2012, now i really want to do this, do I need a college degree? or college credits to be accepted into this MOS? I am confused on this. Also, is there someone that i could talk to, to get accurate information on this at all? I am 35F right now in secondary zone, do i also have to wait until i complete WLC? or can i just submit a package in...I am previous Navy just got back in last august and i wished they would have offered this job to me then....Will i still be able to move around or be stuck in one place pretty much the rest of my career? thank you for your time...
The MOS has a 5 year commitment, upon completion of training and award of the MOS, you are required to either extend or re-enlist to meet this requirement. As WLC is a requirement to be promoted to SSG, I would think you would need to have the class completed. If you have not completed BNCOC, you must complete phase 1 prior to attending reclassification training as stated above in the MILPER.

You are not required to have a college degree to reclass, however you are required to be DAWIA level II certified in contracting within 3 years of MOS award. Level II certification requires a Bachelor's degree with at least 24 hours in a business related field.

This job is not open to individuals who are enlisting through a recruiter.

You will PCS as normal. The majority of the tour lengths are three years and you can be assigned to just about any installation that the Army offers to include Arsenals (i.e Redstone, Pictanny), White Sands, Warren, Mi (TACOM) etc.

If you have any other specific questions, please either post here or PM me and I can give you a call to answer any questions.
Thanks for all the good info for 51C in this topic.

Couple of questions (with bunch-in questions):
a) I got accepted to voluntarily reclass to 51C yesterday (Yayy!). Where is the AIT equivalent held at? How long?

b) I'm currently deployed (for the Nth time) and I'm trying to figure out if I'll get deployed for the Xth time as soon as I finish school. Where are the fresh graduates being sent right now? 51C, do you mind sending me the list where AL&T NCOs are getting stationed? (email: jose(dot)santamaria(at)ako) Thanks!

I'll probably have more questions sometime.
After further reading, I think this answers my first question.

After selection, Active Duty NCOs will attend the US Air Force Contracting Academy,
Mission Airmen Ready Contract Apprentice Course (51C Reclassification Training/BNCOC -
equivalents), Lackland AFB, TX , 8 weeks in a TDY en-route status to their first initial
contracting assignment.

Source: http://asc.army.mil/career/pro...nco/nco_training.cfm
quote:
Originally posted by SSG OIF 03-09:
After further reading, I think this answers my first question.

After selection, Active Duty NCOs will attend the US Air Force Contracting Academy,
Mission Airmen Ready Contract Apprentice Course (51C Reclassification Training/BNCOC -
equivalents), Lackland AFB, TX , 8 weeks in a TDY en-route status to their first initial
contracting assignment.

Source: http://asc.army.mil/career/pro...nco/nco_training.cfm

While technically, yes this is a possibility, be aware that since this is primarily an Air Force course and as such, I believe there are only 2-4 slots per class available at this location.

The alternate training location is at the University of Huntsville-Alabama in ALMC (Army Logistics Management College) attending AABC (Army Acquisition Basic Course). This is a 7 week course that also gives BNCOC equivalency if you do not already possess it.
quote:

b) I'm currently deployed (for the Nth time) and I'm trying to figure out if I'll get deployed for the Xth time as soon as I finish school. Where are the fresh graduates being sent right now? 51C, do you mind sending me the list where AL&T NCOs are getting stationed? (email: jose(dot)santamaria(at)ako) Thanks!

Most NCOs will have at least one year dwell time upon assignment to a contracting unit. You can not deploy until you are trained and this is one job where you need practical experience before heading out. From what I've seen, this is usually enforced, but as always, there are exceptions Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by cooksparty:
51C could you please send me the assignements that a 51C receives and how often they would deploy? I am very interested and working on something now to change my MOS.

kelly.wooldridge@us.army.mil

Thanks

There are a couple of CCTs and a SCCT located at Carson, best idea would be go talk to some of them who are located there to get some more info specific to the job. They are located at the Directorate of Contracting (DOC) on post.
quote:
Originally posted by 51C:
quote:

Most NCOs will have at least one year dwell time upon assignment to a contracting unit. You can not deploy until you are trained and this is one job where you need practical experience before heading out. From what I've seen, this is usually enforced, but as always, there are exceptions Smiler

Chances are extremely good however that you will be deployed, just not right away. There is a huge ongoing mission for contracting personnel as the majority of the mission right now is being carried by the Air Force. You can also expect frequent TDY depending on where you are assigned. For example, I have a friend in Germany who got there in Jan/Feb timeframe. He went TDY for 2 weeks, came home for a month and is now TDY for 3 months in Bavaria. This is NOT a job for someone who is trying to stay CONUS bound. Hence part of the application where it states that you are currently deployable and will maintain this status. There has been talk that if you lose your deployable status (i.e MEB etc) that you will be re-classed. However, it is not official yet.
quote:
51C, I know that there are always exceptions, but as a rule, how bad/good are the hours? In the rear are you on call all the time. Or can you count on your time off being time off?

At Lewis we typically worked from 0830 to 1600. The hours down here are about the same. I've never seen anyone called in, we are typically exempt from any duty. When your BN MTOE is 8 people and the teams are 4, there is very little room for BS to go on as far as duties etc. Where I am, I know we are exempt from all post ran duty rosters etc.

You have to remember that you are primarily working with a civilian work force who does not work past their normal time. The only exception that I've seen is at end of year (late August - Sept) we started working longer at Lewis. The last week was 7 days a week, although the military typically didn't work as long on the weekends as the civilians.

Another caveat however is the availability to deploy. If any sort of contingency happens where Soldiers would be deployed to, you can bet that a 51C is going to be there first to set up support. We were at Katrina, California wildfires, typhoons in Asia, etc. Although rare, it is a possibility.

Missions TDY happen either a lot or very little depending on where you are at. Typically before you deploy, you can expect to goto NTC to support a BDE. You will get there a week earlier and leave a week later. BUT you are there fully TDY, staying in a hotel, drawing full per diem, rental car etc because of the mission requirements.

Deployed, totally different story. Most CCOs that I've talked to will work 12-16 hour days, 7 days a week. There is a huge, increasing workload and not enough people to do it. But a lot of that can be said about any MOS. Depending on where you are deployed, it always isn't a "fob job". If the things you need are out in a market, your gonna go out there to interface with the public to procure them to support the Soldier. With things in Iraq/Afghan now, this usually isn't due to the infrastructure in place.

Back to your original question, this has been one of the best things for my family. My wife loves that she will know what time I will be home everyday and when I have to go into work. I keep a cell phone 24x7, but I've yet to have really needed it.
Good morning, my name is SSG Anderson and I am stationed at Ft. Lewis, WA with the 202nd BSB. I am looking into reclassing into the 51C MOS. I have a Bachelors degree and have 12 years of Active military service. I also have a 42A secondary MOS and have 5 years of experience in this MOS. I am currently a 92M. What are my chances of getting into this MOS and being able to reenlist for this MOS and being stationed at Ft. Lewis? Please advise.

Thank you
quote:
Originally posted by joesbizz47:
Good morning, my name is SSG Anderson and I am stationed at Ft. Lewis, WA with the 202nd BSB. I am looking into reclassing into the 51C MOS. I have a Bachelors degree and have 12 years of Active military service. I also have a 42A secondary MOS and have 5 years of experience in this MOS. I am currently a 92M. What are my chances of getting into this MOS and being able to reenlist for this MOS and being stationed at Ft. Lewis? Please advise.

Thank you

You don't re-enlist to get this MOS, it is a voluntary reclassification that is done with a packet. Put the packet together and apply, I know they are still taking people. A lot of the course information is changing right now.

Go talk the people at the 902nd CC BN. They are located over by MAMC. Go across the street from the main entrance and down the hill to the left. They will be on the right hand side in a big trailer looking building located next to TDS I believe. They should be able to answer some questions better in person than I can through here.
When I applied early last year, I was notified in 3 days via my Career Counselor. Currently however, I believe it can take up to two - three months to find out. If you have any questions about the status, I'd contact either the branch manager or the proponency SGM. He is a pretty approachable guy and will let you know what is going on.
I have been in contact with the 51C SGM and his response to me was "You can't submit a packet until you are at least 12 months form PCSing" Ihave been in the Army for a minute, but I will not pretend to understand all of the regulations in the Army. Does this statement reflect the fact that my unit is currently deployed? Anyone have any info on this matter?
51C, just seeking a little clarification into some of the stuff I read in the post. You have to finish a degree within 3 years of being in the MOS correct? I am currently working on a degree is real estate but not close to finishing..just wanted ot make sure I could finish it within those 3 years and still be good to go. Also I am currently in Korea, due to PCS in May so will I still have sufficient time to complete my packet and submit it and get a response back about go or no go before I leave korea correct? Thanks
So 51C NCO am I to understand that even though I am in an overstrength MOS that I will not be allowed to be assessed into the MOS until 1 March of 2011 (ETS March 2012) in spite of 92A20 and 92A30 being overstrengh MOS's?

Also what happens to a SM who is not able to complete his/her degree requirements in the alloted time are they put out as needs of the Army or are they discharged because they usually are either SSG's or SFC's I take it by the time there 3 years are over.
Things are changing quite a bit right now from when I originally got into the program. From what I understand, as long as you are making sufficient progress towards your degree, you get to stay. But you have to understand that in order to be fully MOSQ, you are required to be DAU certified. Which in turn, requires a Bachelors.
51C last few questions. On average how long does it take to go from submitting your application to being told if you were accepted or not. And lastly, what is the projections for promotions to senior levels looking like. Since its mostly SSGs applying is it a logjam to get to SFC and above?
quote:
Originally posted by Commo Sergeant:
51C last few questions. On average how long does it take to go from submitting your application to being told if you were accepted or not. And lastly, what is the projections for promotions to senior levels looking like. Since its mostly SSGs applying is it a logjam to get to SFC and above?

I found out 3 days after I faxed the packet to the propenent office. I think right now it is taking anywhere from 20-45 days to find out. The fy 08 SFC board promoted 6 people and had slots for 13. No one else was eligible. This years board promoted 26 out of 32 people. All sequence numbers were called by the 2 month.

This MOS is top heavy, but at the same time, there are more slots for SFC and MSG than there are for SSG. Promotion potential from what I've seen is outstanding.
quote:
Originally posted by Commo Sergeant:

My Retention NCO submitted my packet from Iraq in mid-June and I got an email from SGM Jones in 1 July saying that I got accepted. The MOS is also accepting E-5's and they will be automatically promoted to E-6 when they finish the reclassification training. I also read that you need 24mos in the MOS before you get a look for E-7.
I submitted my packet in the beginning of June and have recieved 0 correspondance either way. When I called to inquire, actually spoke to the OIC there. I then recevied an email from SGM Jones stated that "You can't submit a packet until you are at least 12 months from PCSing" DOES THAT MEAN I HAVE TO BE AT MY DUTY STATION 12 MONTHS?
I am looking at dropping the 4187. I recieved a SRB for my last re-up that was signifigant. At completion of this deployment I am on I will have comleted the first 2 years of the the 6 year re-up (TIS). I am worried about the re-coup, especially with it being in the 4187 wording. Has anyone who's done this been re-couped of their SRB for sure? If I have 2 of the 6 year hitch doen is it pro-rated recoupment? Are the taxes lost from lump SRB calculated prior to their re-coupment? If re-couped is it taken over a set period at X amount per month, or do you just get a no pay due for like a year? Many questions I know, but I am an E7 and seem to be ideally placed to do this...and my current MOS blows at my pay grade.
quote:
Originally posted by BrynDiesel:
I am looking at dropping the 4187. I recieved a SRB for my last re-up that was signifigant. At completion of this deployment I am on I will have comleted the first 2 years of the the 6 year re-up (TIS). I am worried about the re-coup, especially with it being in the 4187 wording. Has anyone who's done this been re-couped of their SRB for sure? If I have 2 of the 6 year hitch doen is it pro-rated recoupment? Are the taxes lost from lump SRB calculated prior to their re-coupment? If re-couped is it taken over a set period at X amount per month, or do you just get a no pay due for like a year? Many questions I know, but I am an E7 and seem to be ideally placed to do this...and my current MOS blows at my pay grade.

I was under a SRB when I re-enlisted and was told it would not be recouped. It fell under the same thing as the ADO green to gold people. Career progression or something like that. Heck, I even got the 2k bonus on top of it.
quote:
Originally posted by 21TANGOSSG:
I submitted my packet in the beginning of June and have recieved 0 correspondance either way. When I called to inquire, actually spoke to the OIC there. I then recevied an email from SGM Jones stated that "You can't submit a packet until you are at least 12 months from PCSing" DOES THAT MEAN I HAVE TO BE AT MY DUTY STATION 12 MONTHS?

I think it means you should be within 12-months from PCSing to your next duty station. I think what the Army is trying to avoid is for a SM to move to a new duty station and then PCS again so soon. A possible suggestion is if you're already over 12 mos at your current duty station, if allowed (possible gray area), is to request from your reup guys to go to a new duty station. And if your request is granted, then you should be within 12mos from PCSing. I'm not sure if this falls under "shady-dealing", it is just a suggestion.
quote:
Originally posted by McQ321:
Hey 51C, maybe you know the answer to this question, it says in my acceptance letter that I must reenlist to meet SRR within 30 days of my graduation of the 51C school. If this is so, will I be eligible for the CSRB also?

I'm sort of curious to know where you see 51C being listed under the CSRB program.
quote:
Originally posted by 21TANGOSSG:
That is what gets me, I have been at Fort Bragg since 2002. So as far as moving too many times that rules that out. ????

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what might be the issue. I know people are required to have been on station for at least 12 months before applying because most of the time you will PCS following completion of training.
quote:
Originally posted by BUDGETSSG:
I'm scheduled to go to school in March, will I find out my follow on assignment prior to going or after graduating?

You should find out prior to your attending class. Did you just find out recently or have you known since before June 29th? If you have known for a while, I can check the ECC gains roster, you might be on it.
quote:
By how busy this post is it sounds as though the secret is out. How many requests come your way as of recently 51C for Acquisitions?

I know of at least 45 NCO who were accessed into the program within the past 45 days. Add that to a current end strength of around 140, and a FY 10 authorization of I believe 225-250.
quote:
Is it getting harder to get in ?

Harder to get in? Probably not if you meet the qualifications. I just know that the screening board will look closer at the your application, letters of recommendation etc to ensure you are a good match for the program.
I talked to my counsler and she sent me this 51C - ACQUISITION, LOGISTICS &TECHNOLOGY NCO, CMF 51 20080806

IF PHY_PRO > 222222 THEN MOS_CERTIFIED = "Y" ENDIF
COLO = "Y"
GT >= 110
CIT = "A" OR CIT = "B" OR CIT = "C" OR CIT = "D"
SEC=NA/NA.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS RATING:VERY HEAVY.
FORMAL TRAINING MANDATORY.
MUST HAVE SUCCFULLY COMPLETED DEFENSE ACQUISITION UNIVERSITY LV1 AND 2
COURSES
VALID U.S. DRIVERS LICENSE
SRR OF 5 YEARS EFFECTIVE WITH ALL SERVICE CONTRACTS WRITTEN ON AND AFTER 1
MAY 2008
SC:101 CRS:551-51C30 LENGTH:13 WKS,1DAY LOC:LEE
My question is how do I enroll in the DEFENSE ACQUISITION UNIVERSITY LV1 AND 2
COURSES? thanks to those who know
quote:
Originally posted by poe226:
I talked to my counsler and she sent me this 51C - ACQUISITION, LOGISTICS &TECHNOLOGY NCO, CMF 51 20080806

IF PHY_PRO > 222222 THEN MOS_CERTIFIED = "Y" ENDIF
COLO = "Y"
GT >= 110
CIT = "A" OR CIT = "B" OR CIT = "C" OR CIT = "D"
SEC=NA/NA.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS RATING:VERY HEAVY.
FORMAL TRAINING MANDATORY.
MUST HAVE SUCCFULLY COMPLETED DEFENSE ACQUISITION UNIVERSITY LV1 AND 2
COURSES
VALID U.S. DRIVERS LICENSE
SRR OF 5 YEARS EFFECTIVE WITH ALL SERVICE CONTRACTS WRITTEN ON AND AFTER 1
MAY 2008
SC:101 CRS:551-51C30 LENGTH:13 WKS,1DAY LOC:LEE
My question is how do I enroll in the DEFENSE ACQUISITION UNIVERSITY LV1 AND 2
COURSES? thanks to those who know

The courses will be taught during your retraining. You can enroll in some of them at learn.dau.mil. At least 4 of the courses for level 2 are resident courses and chances of you attending them prior to selection as a 51C are slim to none unless your unit funds the TDY for them.

I'd suggest option a) reclass, goto school, get level 1 trained in school + BNCOC equivalency. Wait a year, goto AICC and get level 2 trained + ANCOC equivalency.

Required DAU courses for level 1 though FYI are:
CON 100, CON 110, CON 112, CON 120, CON 234, CLC 033 I believe.

Level 2 is CON 214, CON 215, CON 216, CON 217, CON 218.
51C, thanks for the quick reply..couple more questions if you have a minute...is it still required to have phase 1 BNOC completed before dropping your packet? also if you haven't started college yet, is it even worth applying? i know you said that if you are working hard towards a degree they are pretty leanent on that rule. just want to know your opinion. thanks
quote:
Originally posted by poe226:
51C, thanks for the quick reply..couple more questions if you have a minute...is it still required to have phase 1 BNOC completed before dropping your packet? also if you haven't started college yet, is it even worth applying? i know you said that if you are working hard towards a degree they are pretty leanent on that rule. just want to know your opinion. thanks

I'm not sure if it is required to have phase 1 completed before you apply, but I believe it is required before you attend training. As far as the college, I'd go for it, you will get credit based on what school you go to for your current MOS.

There is both a BN and a BDE located at K-town, great place to ask questions locally if you have any.
quote:
Originally posted by rgopaul:
I got accepted to 51c MOS on Aug 10 and was told by my counsler that i would not get a school date before Jan 2010. Is there anyone i can talk to or anything i can do to get an earlier date?

Most likely not, there are only I believe 4 classes a year.
I have a situation I do not know how to handle. My retention NCO does not have the information stating that the 51C MOS is accepting applications from SGT's in their primary zone, only SGT(P) and he is not very helpful in researching the web or contacting the branch NCOIC. Is there any documentation other than website postings - "Because the internet is not always correct" - that I could show him to get my application process started.

Also, we are deploying soon, so I do not know what this would do as far as slowing down the process.
The link that willhorizontal is completely correct. Do not go through your retention NCO, this is an action that can only go through a career counselor (typically at BDE or higher level). Of course, if your unit has a process to go see one, ensure you follow it.

If you need further clarification, have him contact either:

Name: MAJ Kenny Johnson
Voice: 703 805-2732
E-mail: ellsworth.k.johnson@us.army.mil

or

Name: SGM Ethan Jones
Voice: 703-805-1048
E-mail: ethan.a.jones@us.army.mil

Both of those work in the proponency office and are there to answer questions. SGM Jones is completely approachable as long as you follow proper military courtesy. I typically get a response from either one within 2 hours via e-mail if I contact them.

Their information is posted for a reason, all too often I see Soldiers unwilling to contact someone simply because of their rank.
51C, I have a 119 GT score, I am a year away from completing my Bachelors in Business Administration(concentration in Logistics) Able to deploy and the whole bit.. My only issue is I have no security clearance... My ERB only states that a initial investigation was started on the the 6th of June 2005... My mos now requires a secret Clearance(42R)... So,would it be fine if I can show that a I have submitted the proper paperwork for a clearance... Or, must I wait until I have a actual clearance which could take a months I assume?? Thanks...
I'm honestly not sure if they would take an interim clearance, I've never had anyone ask that question. I'd contact the branch manager and ask her, she should be able to tell you. I do know you need a final clearance to be MOSQ though as we report clearance status during every CUB to BDE. I have seen Soldiers without one, but their's was in re-adjudcation while they extended their current one.

Add Reply

Likes (3)
toppeghostrider 2makingmoves