Originally posted by 5C00PN15K3R:
Corvette, you mentioned "one of your Soldiers," and I realized that I hadn't even wondered about a lot of Army-type questions I'd love to know the answers to...
1. Are there leadership positions in class? If yes, do you train and counsel outside of class?
2. Do we get NCOERs while in school?
3. Do you qualify on APFT, weapons, and/or ruck marches?
4. Are common tasks ("10-level tasks" or "Warrior Tasks") trained or tested on?
5. Do we do NCOPD?
6. Are there duties like CQ and Staff Duty?
7. Are there details like Funeral Detail, Red Cycle, and Courtesy Patrol?
8. Do we do "Payday Activities?"
9. Do we do Bn/Bde/Div runs or formations?
10. Does the school observe any Honor Grad, Comandant's List, or anything like that?
Jeez... you spend a few years in the regular Army and you forget that the rest of the world doesn't run quite the same way. Even the rest of the Army doesn't work quite the same way, so it helps to ask how they do it where you're headed.
1.Yes, you do have leadership positions and they are a double edge sword. You do not, and can not counsel Soldiers outside of class (other than verbally). So, in essence it leads to neutered squad/class leader positions that get almost none of the praise and ALL of the BS There are of course some junior and Reserve Soldiers that aren't yet used to the Army telling them what to do so you will get some resistance. Granted, I also don't personally enjoy telling people what to do, but have to delegate, in order to accomplish all that needs to be done in a day. Some of the junior troops really think that you just make $hit up to make their life difficult, because they haven't seen it before back in their Reserve unit. With these troops you really can't get it through their head, it is what it is. They'll get the bigger picture eventually, but you'll be the one that is breaking the "ice" so to say.
2. There will be no NCOER's in the school, you will be cut a DA form 1059, just like from WLC, ALC and other service schools.
3. APFT will not go away, and some Soldiers have had issue with this. I think 12 out 24 of the 1st Phase failed it. Just a testament to the new APFT program's effectiveness....lol. So, when you get here make sure you are good to go, since it could be an easy month with no EFFECTIVE PT (the new program is a joke) before you take the test in Phase I. You will also get one in Phase II, so be ready for it then.
Weapons qualification will be out of the picture in most TRADOC arenas so ensure your range before here is EXPERT since it will be a while before you go again. Ruck marches I have not seen, as well as combatives, and other similar conventional Army stuff, after all some troops will not even have full TA-50 since the Reservists in your class will be new to the Army, all others are Prior Service.
4. CTT is not trained for, and there is no field time here.
5. Those in the class will not do NCOPD as we are "students", if stationed here you will though.
6. There is CQ, and Staff Duty.
7. Flag Honor, and cone detail. These are the only details now. It should not change, but could for your class.
8. Soldiers in the barracks will have Payday activities such as barracks inspections, time wasting formations (usually only once a day, off post Soldiers as well) but will not be released anymore than say 15 minutes earlier for the day. 1600-1700 with almost no flexibility (other than emergencies or solid appointments being the exception).
9. BTN/BDE, and fun runs, that some Soldiers get voluntold for, as well as PT will be what the Army asks of you here. Formations for all Soldiers usually only once (sometimes rarely 2X a day).
10. Honor Grad, and Class Leader are the only Soldiers recognized in graduation. Besides above and beyond volunteers. The final DA form 1059 may reflect a Commandant's List but have not seen it as of yet, I am not counting on it.
As stated before, ensure your commute is (I am serious as a HEART ATTACK) no more than 3 miles from school...traffic is a bitch here, and you will be set up for success greater than you could possibly realize as of right now. Have good study habits and ensure your PT, HT/WT is good and you should be fine.