68V a really good move!

irunthe386,

The main reference textbook for the respiratory portion of the program is Egan's but other books are used to supplement instruction. While students won't necessarily receive a copy of each textbook, information selected from each of these books is included in the lesson plan and made available to the student. Here is the complete list:

Egan’s Fundamentals of Respiratory Care; Kacmarek, Stoller, Heuer (2012); 10th Ed.; Mosby; ISBN-13: 9780323082037

Clinical Research for Health Professionals; Mitchell Batavia (2001) Butterworth-Heinemann; ISBN-13: 9780750671934

Principles of Anatomy and Physiology; Tortora and Derrickson (2012) 13th Ed.; Wiley; ISBN-13: 9780470565100

Manual of Pulmonary Function Testing; Ruppel (2013); 10th Ed.; Mosby; ISBN-13: 9780323085052

Rau’s Respiratory Care Pharmacology; Gardenhire (2012); 8th Ed.; Mosby; ISBN-13: 9780323075282

Clinical Blood Gases: Assessment and Intervention; Malley (2004); 2nd Ed.; Saunders; ISBN-13: 9780721684222

Mechanical Ventilation: Physiologic and Clinical Applications; Cairo and Pilbeam (2012); 5th Ed.; Mosby; ISBN-13: 9780323072076

Mosby’s Respiratory Care Equipment; Cairo (2014); 9th Ed.; Mosby ISBN-13: 9780323096218

Neonatal and Pediatric Respiratory Care; Walsh (2015); 4th Ed.; Elsevier; ISBN-13: 9781455753192
I have a bachelor's degree in Respiratory Therapy and I am an RRT. I am in the Army Reserves, an E-5 and my MOS is 92Y. I am hoping to get more information on becoming an RT in the Army. Since I am already an RRT I would not have to go to AIT again for 68V correct. I am hoping to go active duty. Any information on this subject would be helpful. I do plan to go speak with a recruiter soon but I know how they do not always have the right answers. Thanks in advnace.

SGT Herrington
SGT Herrington,

You are correct about not having to go through AIT for 68V since you already possess the training and credentials. Your recruiter will have to find aa active duty slot for you and have Army HR accept you for that slot. We are not involved in this process other than to validate your credentials (a copy of your BSRT diploma and RRT credentials is usually forwarded to us for review).

Best of luck.

Oscar Lopez-Martinez, MAEd, RRT, CPFT
Director of Clinical Education
Interservice Respiratory Therapy Program
Medical Education & Training Campus
Fort Sam Houston, TX
oscar.lopez-martinez.civ@mail.mil
Office: (210) 808-3781
Fax: (210) 808-3771
aherrington, your questions will be highly specific ,and you will probably have to talk to not just any Recruiter, but the actual Station Commander.

Walk into the Recruiting office and ask the Recruiter about the Army Civilian Acquired Skills Program (ACASP)...if they have no idea what it is get the Station Commander on line....if they too don't know anything about the program....go to a different Recruiting station, because they obviously have no experience on specialty programs. Good luck, and keep the forum here posted as to how you make out as far as any roadblocks that came up.

Good Luck!
Hello all! I am seriously considering doing a voluntary reclass to 68V. I am active Army dual military currently stationed at Ft Irwin and was wondering what others experienced bringing their children with them. I have a 14 month old and need to come up with a concrete plan for when/if I attend the course. Is there breaks throughout the course such as Christmas or July that family would be able to visit if I didn't bring him with me? Any insight would be much appreciated. Ml
Mr Lopez,
I am dropping my paperwork for reclass. I was curious about the beginning phase of the program. The website says that we will complete 3 college classes. what if we already have the college credite for these? I think I may need the Comp II, but I don't know what my credits will transfer to you as. Also, it says something about basic medical classes to expose students to the medical field. I am a medic working at Tripler, would I still need this section? Thank you for any info.
Wildmojo,

Regardless of education and occupational background, every Army student must take the college and medical courses. Although it may sound like a waste of time, there are very good reasons why it has to be this way. Students who were in a similar situation as you commented that they appreciated the additional time prior to the respiratory portion to get back into study mode. Optimism, a positive attitude, and a willingness to learn new things will help you be successful here and in any other endeavor.

Best of luck,

Oscar Lopez-Martinez MAEd, RRT, CPFT
Fort Sam Houston, TX 78234
(210) 808-3781
Corvette, thanks for the advice. I have spoken with both my COC and some of the RT guys. They said that there aren't any issues if I want to go shadow someone. I just turned in the rest of my paperwork that retention needed to submit my stuff. I'm hoping that I can get accepted. I think the next class that I might be able to get into the class that reports at the end of January. Mr Lopez, do you know the schedule of the classes? I'm trying to verify if the dates are correct in our ATRRS system shows a class with a report date of JAN 30. I excited to possibly take this next step in my career.
Wildmojo,

My records show a class starting 4 Feb '15, so a reporting date of 30 Jan '15 sounds about right.

Oscar Lopez-Martinez MAEd, RRT, CPFT
(210) 808-3781
A word of advice:

For those of you interested in the 68V MOS and are thinking of applying for the program: if you write an email to any of the administrators in the program, please do yourselves a favor and use correct titles, grammar, spelling, etc. Remember that first impressions are very important. Emails that resemble a text message (all lower case, abbreviations, no punctuations, etc.), lack professionalism and reflect poorly on the sender. Imagine you are applying for your dream job.

Best of luck!

Oscar Lopez-Martinez MAEd, RRT-NPS, CPFT
(210) 808-3781

Add Reply

Likes (0)