quote:Any PC that you use a CAC reader with requires the middleware. This enables the PC/Windows Operating System and the reader to communicate with each other. The middleware formerly used by the Army has been ActivCard Gold and Netsign. On 24 October 2006, the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD), U.S. Army, and U.S. Air Force chose ActivIdentity's ActivClient 6.0 as its smart card desktop client software. Government PCs will eventually have the new middleware installed as part of the Army Golden Master software image. Please contact your local system administrator, IMO, or DOIM for more information on obtaining the CAC middleware for your government PC.
ActivClient 6.0 supports the following Operating Systems:
* Windows 2000 Professional with SP3 or SP4
* Windows XP Home Edition with SP2
* Windows XP Professional with no Service Pack, SP1, or SP2
* Windows 2000 Server with SP3 or SP4
* Windows 2003 Server with no Service Pack and SP1, or Windows Server 2003 R2
ActiveClient can be downloaded through AKO's CAC resource page.
Note: unlike NetSign, ActiveClient can be used with Firefox browser.