AIT Platoon Sergeant Duty

I am currently stationed at Fort Bragg, NC but have orders to report to Fort Lee, VA as an AIT PSG upon successful completion of the AIT PSG Course and the MRT Course located at Fort Jackson, SC. I am due to report to the AIT PSG Course on 15 October 11, and still have not received a welcome letter that tells me everything that I need to attend the course. I have looked numerous times online for all this information, but no such luck. If anyone could please help me out, I need the following information:

- Packing List (AIT PSG Course)
- Packing List (MRT Course)
- Required Documents for both courses.

If you could please help me out with this information, it would be greatly appreciated. Please send the information to me at
allenroe82@hotmail.com.

Thanks in advance!

SSG Roe
SFC Anderson, I have been doing this job for over a year now and I have to say that I like it. Of course I would have liked to have the round brown, but You do what uncle Sam tells you to do. The soldiers coming in nowadays are so brazen in the attitudes they display and the politics involved with these soldiers is so backwards I sometimes wonder what the hell is going on with the Army. I continue with the misiion and train these soldiers and weed out the crappy ones. It is difficult sometimes to get rid of the bad seeds, but when it happens you take the small victory. Big Army protects these new soldiers a lot more than they do the seasoned vets currently serving, but the job overall is very fulfilling. Your instructor counterparts offer the soldiers a different point of view. Leaving whenever they want, maintaining profiles better than they maintain themselves and overall bitching about working for 12 hours. I average 16 hours a day for 6 days. I may get Sundays off, but Occasionally I have to work.
I read all the postings and have been thinking about what Squad Leader duty in AIT should be like – now that I have a sensing of what it shouldn’t be like. Comments made by experienced Platoon Sergeants and experienced Instructors lead me to think that there isn't a single "right" answer to describe a balanced Squad Leader program, but that there are probably "wrong" answers. Anywho, I'm playing Army in the TRADOC AIT world and we’re still trying to figure out what will work best for beneficial SL program – this could mean simply striking a balance point on one that sucks the least or not having one at all.

Some high-level ‘loosely organized’ SL program thoughts on my mind:

• Fact: Instructors exert leadership in performance of their job teaching. Their hours are typically standardized and are not far off from what a ‘normal’ duty day would be like in a non-deployed FORSCOM unit. Duty is different – hours are not so much. These Instructors do not perform SL duties.
• Fact: Some Instructors want to also be Squad Leaders and have a greater leadership role over the students in training, but they don’t want SL to become their fulltime day job. After all, they PCS’d to perform the job of an Instructor - - and the organization must have certified Instructors on the platform as much as they need certified PSGs with boots on the ground.
• The SL program should be volunteer based. The Instructor would inform his/her supervisor in the school house of the desire to serve as SL and he/she must get approval and recommendation from the School SGM (there could be good reasons why the NCO should not be an Instructor and the SGM should lay that out for them. Otherwise, the SGM needs to be able to assess potential impact to school mission and benefit for the unit mission and benefit for the Soldier). The school SGM is key for overall organizational buy-in and may be the initial person who lays out the unit’s policy on SL duties.
• Best-case scenario is that Instructors are aligned under companies; the same companies that have the IET MOS-I Soldiers and the MOS-T reclass Soldiers. The volunteering Instructor should be assigned to SL duty in the company he/she belongs. They already receive admin support, etc. from that company and know their Company Commander and First Sergeant.
• If the Instructor volunteers to be SL for less than one year than it is annotated as an additional duty on his/her NCOER. If for a year/12 months, it should be annotated within the NCOER duty description.
• SL duties must be defined in writing and approved in policy by the Battalion Commander and Battalion CSM to ensure the SL program is evenly executed across all the companies.
• Co Cdr and 1SG perform initial SL counseling with the Instructor. Must indicate whether it’s an additional duty or a duty description insert for the Instructor.
• The PSGs battlespace is the barracks area and PSGs should be the only ones performing CQ duties in the barracks. Instructors and Instructor/SLs perform Bn staff duty and requirements for Bde staff duty. The goal = striking balance.
• PSGs, Instructors, and Instructor/SLs are all available to perform additional duties. There addl duty requirements prescribed by big Army are too many to assign just PSGs and Instr/SLs. The goal = striking balance.
• Instr/SLs must teach from the platform because they are specially certified to do that job. So, AIT SL cannot be equated to a FORSCOM unit SL. Example SL duties in AIT should be:
o assist with and periodically lead PRT in the morning. Meet up with PSGs at the barracks and assist with wake-up and moving troops to the PRT field. BTW – this helps ensure Instructors are doing PRT … you know who you are, especially if you’re 24/24 or 26/26!
o Instr/SLs should not be the sole individuals waking soldiers up, marching them to PRT, and leading PRT and no PSGs are to be found the entire morning. Something is broken in the PSG channels if that’s the case or maybe they just have one helluva resiliency program.
o Instr/SLs talk with the 1SG and PSGs after PRT regarding daily requirements out of the norm.
o After PRT, the Instr/SL reports to the school for duty. They have ample time to teach, fix their classroom issues, and do the academic counseling’s and school house taskings.
o Instr/SLs occasionally move Soldiers to chow at lunch, or dinner if running a swing shift. The PSG is still primarily responsible for troop movement where PSG presence is required at the destination; CIF for example. Nothing is worse than a Soldier acting out and no PSG there to handle the situation. Instructors just do not get the same certification training in the TRADOC ruleology for how best to handle Soldier discipline issues and corrective training. Handled incorrectly could become trainee abuse.
o There are numerous occasions where PSGs are taking care Soldiers problems and the more INACTs in the unit means the more Soldier problems PSGs are dealing with. Instr/SLs can be very helpful to the overall mission by assisting with troop movement.
o Instr/SLs are present at the company during WTBD training when it is scheduled – typically in the afternoons 1 or 2 days a week – typically one.
o Instructors are part of the company team and the school team. First Sergeants get input to the Instr/SL’s quarterly counseling by the school leadership. Same for the NCOER and any PCS award. Any NCOER or award for an Instr that includes comments regarding SL duty must be reviewed by the First Sergeant to ensure accuracy and completeness.
o PSGs should do all the administrative and disciplinary counseling’s for Soldiers.
o Instr/SLs assist PSGs and the companies with leadership; they do not replace PSGs.
o Don’t detail Instrs as full-time SLs for 89 days, during which time they perform solely SL functions and do not perform as Instructors in the school. This is cheating the NCO.
o Don’t assign an Instructor as a full-time SL for one year. This does not = balance; the school needs their Instructors.
o A telltale sign that a SL program is out of balance is when people begin discussing a SL resiliency program. That should never need to occur.
o Embrace a philosophy that an AIT SL program is not even in the same ballpark as a FORSCOM unit SL role – you must change your thinking and accept that an AIT Instr/SL will do much less traditional squad leading. They must be instructors primarily and SLs secondarily.

These are just thoughts. I think if this were laid out as a skeleton framework with 1SGs, PSGs, Instructors, SGM, CSM, others talking through the additional details that maybe an acceptable organizational plan would unfold and be approved. If an acceptable policy is not agreed upon by all concerned than the decision might be to not have any SL program at all.
quote:
Originally posted by 2-Iron:
I read all the postings and have been thinking about what Squad Leader duty in AIT should be like – now that I have a sensing of what it shouldn’t be like. .

I did AIT instructor/SQL duty from Aug2008-Oct2009. I disagree with much of what you've written.
EDIT: On the other hand, I do like much of it. The balance part- and the SQL and PSG sharing many of the duties.

1- not many NCOs would ever 'volunteer' to work more hours than they have to.
2- SQL in the real Army have to be involved in every aspect of the Soldiers' lives- including barracks. Why not at AIT then??
3- SQL don't get the same training as PSG, so why are they expected to do many of the PSG jobs?
4- AGREE that taking the Instructor and putting them ONLY as SQL for a while is a bad bad idea.
5- Not cool when the Instructor HAS TO teach all day then rushes to the CO area for their entire lunchbreak to handle SQL duties and sees all the PSGs sitting smoking and joking.

Here's my take on it-

a- ALL NCOs must set the example to the Soldiers at all time, even if they aren't a SQL. Examples of bad include: An instructor getting dropped in front of the Soldiers by PSG for blatant stupid behavior. During cold, waiting for PT all the SQLs and PSGs hide inside after accountability while the PVTs shiver outside, etc...
b- I learned a lot of NCOmanship at AIT-land. Working closely with other NCOs you get to see a variety of leadership styles.
c- On the other hand, it's too easy for lazy NCOs to just let someone else do what needs to be done. All NCOs need to police each other up.

I'm proud of my work there- I was the first (only that year?) SQL to be given a plaque from the PSG as I left. From jumping in to take accountability because both PSG in the PLT were gone (and no one else did,) to shivering with the PVTs (and using the time to ask/answer Army and MOS questions), to pushing Soldier tasks training after school twice a week, to hearing worn-out Soldiers after PT every Tuesday (SQL PT) say "I wish PT was like that everyday!" (Was recommende an MSM by instructor and CO leadership but downgraded to ARCOM)

I literally left the house at 0425 and was home around 1830 Mon-Fri and once a month did twelve hours of CQ with no comptime. I was glad to leave but had fun and think I did well. I've bumped into a few students since- they smile, rush to greet me, then start peppering me with questions and asking for help. I guess they know that I can. Smiler

((((NOT trying to brag myself up here- hopefully those who are stuck in AIT-land can remember EVERY DAY to do what they should. Take initiative, don't let the grind get you, keep spirits up, this is where you are a TRUE NCO every minute of the working day. ))))
@Beast Mode

Please dont even embarrass yourself. I just finished being an AIT instructor/Squad leader and you know dog gone well that you DO NOT take care of the Soldiers 24/7. Heres the basic breakdown of all ur duties. First the Squad leader and PSG are at PT with the Soldiers at 0330. Then the PSG takes them to Breakfast and then drops them off at the Schoolhouse. FOR 8 HOURS+ you do NOTHING with the Soldiers as they are at the Schoolhouse. After the SQUAD LEADER marchs them to Lunch and Dinner you again have those hours in between to take care of your "Administrated Paperwork" that for some insane reasons seems to take ur entire day(Poor management is what it really entails). THEN the Squad leaders also conduct the Bedchecks again while you take care of this "paperwork". And then the kicker, Squad leaders come in on the Weekends to do your PSG duties while you again take care of "paperwork". The Squad leader concept is a complete ABUSE OF POWER/AUTHORITY simply put

Add Reply

Likes (0)