awarded AAM by another unit, did not recieve 638

currently depoloyed, my team was awarded by the unit we supported. we were not attatched. when they presented us with the awards we did not recieve the DA form 638, the awards do have the order number on them. contacting the unit that awarded us has been difficult. is there another way to get the 638 and or do i really need it if i have the certificate?
Original Post
Wow, no 638...who does that! Any and all awards should be presented in Green casing with the 638 on left and cert on the right as you open it. I can only sense that being in deployed environment might have something to do with it. This is not the normal practice at all!

Anyway, the cert only gets iPERMED and as long as the PO number is on it your good. Keep comms with that unit is your only hope.
my unit (chain of comand) is telling us that they want the 638's (which is only the recomendation for the award) and now they say we need the orders as well in order to wear/get credit for the awards. the cerificates have the PO #s. being deployed its difficult to get in touch with the unit that awarded us. my unit did take copies of the awards and submit to iperms but like i said, in order to wear/get credit for the award they want/claim we need the orders and 638's. ive been reading through the regs and aside from it reading like latin i may have confused myself in the process
I agree with them that you need both to get awarded and can't believe this unit did you all like this as the 638 tells the story of your accomplishment.

Solution:

Get your unit Commander to email the LTC that signed the certificate explaining situation. Their name is spelled out so you can use Global or AKO white pages to look them up. I'm sure the Battalion Commander will ensure his S-1 shop corrects this.

If you want email me the pdf certificate and I will help your CDR get in touch with the BN CDR, I'm at KAF.

dylan.dewaters@us.army.mil

SFC DeWaters
Terry,

You could of created a new thread about your issue.

BTW, if you do get a BSM or higher, the 638 is uploaded to your iPerms as well.

Do you have the BSM certificate? Are you trying to get it uploaded now? I do not understand your question or if it is a general comment.
yes a question , my unit over seas was assigned
to the first Inf Div , they put in the BSM to my unit which i was picked up and filled with , well they didn't give those awards to us for what ever reason so the first ID re-submitted the award through their command and it was signed off and approved, they in turn sent the recommendation to my home unit, which gave us the approved recommendation along with the medals. now the state is saying it didn't go through their Joint Force Head Quaters in Raleigh NC and they are threatening to remove it with out more documentations and they have my ( copy) of the original approved recommendation ? and it has a perm order number.
Terry,

May I ask what rank you were then and what rank you are now?

Well, since a GO officer is the final approval authority for a BSM, it does behoove you to get the 368. And during the award ceremony, or even if you were given the award certificate in the green binder; it should have had the 368 enclosed. That was an error along the way.

I will contact that brigade S1 at 1ID that you were attached with and get on S1NET as well to help with your issue. HRC website should be able to assist as well with info.
the state is telling me that they are trying to get in touch with Gen JB Burton who signed off on the original , because the approved signature of his didn't match one they found on line some where, if you have a civilian e-mail i could send you the document with all of the info on it i will , and i appreciate all the help i can get as i am now medically discharged since 27 April of this year from injuries sustained during my last tour,and i go back under the knife 21 Jan15 where i will be bedfast for several weeks and then back to the wheel chair , oh and i was a E-5 then got the award three years later as an E-6 , ret as E7 also i have the 638 thats what they are disputing
quote:
Originally posted by Terry1stID:
the state is telling me that they are trying to get in touch with Gen JB Burton who signed off on the original , because the approved signature of his didn't match one they found on line some where, if you have a civilian e-mail i could send you the document with all of the info on it i will , and i appreciate all the help i can get as i am now medically discharged since 27 April of this year from injuries sustained during my last tour,and i go back under the knife 21 Jan15 where i will be bedfast for several weeks and then back to the wheel chair , oh and i was a E-5 then got the award three years later as an E-6 , ret as E7 also i have the 638 thats what they are disputing

So, are you in the National Guard and your JFHQs S1 is bringing this up because they have to cut your NGB-22 and want to ensure that it is accurate?
i was active guard and was injured on last deployment .while in the wounded warrior, Ft Eustis was going through my paper work to be discharged after two years and an lod was found from an injury from the same incodent in which the BSM was written for and i was told to have my assinged NG unit to push it through for a purple heart so i gave the Guard unit all my paperwork from Ambush even my SIG act, well a copy of all so the unit wanted me to come to HQ in Charlotte NC and bring All my paper Work well when my Wife took me there( i think was the purpose for them to see me ) they took my sig act saying it had to be declassified , after 10 years and all was on it was incident and number of vehicles and said they would push the purple heart and in doing so they checked the BSM against their records and said they had no record of such and they think it was forged and was gonna remove from my i perms and contact Brig General JB Burton and he would probably bring a full investigation, trying to spook me i guess, but it says who prepared it and the perm order num is 07-23 they are also telling me that number isnt in juliet time ?????? you can hollar at me ph 828 310 8211 its faster to tell you than typing you..

Add Reply

Likes (0)