BDU's and tan boots?

Who defines "proper uniform?" If the Army (through AR or MILPER message) says it is authorized, then that implies that it is proper. Soldiers are transitioning between uniforms while in the middle of deployments. The days of shinning boots and pressing uniforms are out the door. Do I agree with it 100%, no. But I do accept it and move on. Conform or rise through the ranks and change things if you don't like it.
quote:
Originally posted by RedLeg81:
Who defines "proper uniform?" If the Army (through AR or MILPER message) says it is authorized, then that implies that it is proper. Soldiers are transitioning between uniforms while in the middle of deployments. The days of shinning boots and pressing uniforms are out the door. Do I agree with it 100%, no. But I do accept it and move on. Conform or rise through the ranks and change things if you don't like it.
I agree. I don't like a lot of things in the Army, like wearing a black wool sweat cap (aka beret) in the Arizona heat with ACUs, but that doesn't mean it's not the proper uniform.
Correct me if I'm mistaken (pretty good chance I am! Roll Eyes) that BDU's were no longer authorized for wear after May. I got this from a BN CSM on a board.

The WLC here at Ft. Sill simply didn't allow the wear of tan boots with BDU's. If you wore BDU's, you had to wear black boots, no exceptions, no excuses. If you didn't, you had a day to get it right or were kicked out of class. Then again, our class motto was "There's Army standards, then there's WLC standards."
quote:
Originally posted by CommChick:
Correct me if I'm mistaken (pretty good chance I am! Roll Eyes) that BDU's were no longer authorized for wear after May. I got this from a BN CSM on a board.

The WLC here at Ft. Sill simply didn't allow the wear of tan boots with BDU's. If you wore BDU's, you had to wear black boots, no exceptions, no excuses. If you didn't, you had a day to get it right or were kicked out of class. Then again, our class motto was "There's Army standards, then there's WLC standards."

He's wrong. Unless some MILPER message escapes my attention, they haven't even determined a wear-out date for the BDU. The date he is confused with, is by 01 MAY 07 you must have two sets of ACUs.
One reason that the tan boots were authorized wear with woodland BDUs was the fact that prior to the start of operations in Afghanistan and then in Iraq, many units did not have Desert uniforms (DCUs) and while it is hard to imagine, there were countless Soldiers stuck in hot and humid desert places who only had BDUs. The tan boots were authorized for Soldiers to wear them while the logistical problems were being resolved. If you ever been to the desert and wear black boots you'll understand. We see it still here from time to time depending if the Soldier is from a AR/NG unit. I won't even begin to discuss the inner workings of WLC. We have had Soldiers sent to WLC and then almost get sent back because of the ACU issue. Before the required cutoff our Soliders were issued with DCUs. The WLC wouldn't allow them to attend in DCUs. It took our Brigade S3 SGM to get the senior leadership to understand the situation. WLC should be re-worked, re-written, and readdressed as far as what really needs to be taught and when the "f-f games" stop.

Add Reply

Likes (0)