Can I get Airborne added to my contract?

I'm not entirely sure if this is the right place for this question but here it is anyway:
I am graduating college here in May, shipping out 2 days later to Ft. Jackson for BCT before Huachuca for 35G AIT. I have the Student Loan Repayment option as well as PaYs on my contract. All of which is great and exactly what I wanted, but after doing a bunch of research on initial duty stations and other training options I was curious if it were possible to get an Airborne option added to my contract at all? If I happened to be a standout on the APFT and a standout within my BCT platoon and carry that same work ethic through AIT could I request Airborne or does that require a reno on my contract?

Sorry for being long winded but jumping out of planes and possibly getting stationed in Italy seems like an awesome perk to an already awesome job!

Rob Jeffery
Future Soldier 35G
Original Post
Someone can correct me if I am wrong. As far as I know, you are not bound to what your "contract" says until you are actually in the Army. So you should be able to get Airborne in your contract, which is the safest and most reliable way of doing it, although what Rossij2010 said is true. If I remember right when I was in AIT they came around a couple times asking if people wanted to sign up for Airborne or Ranger school. So yes, you will probably have to redo your contract a bit, but like I have heard many times on this forum... It is YOUR career, take as much control of it as you can. Good Luck.

Add Reply

Likes (0)