College Semester Hours on ERB

Hello everyone,

I had a question that I could not find an answer for either on here or in regulatory guidance.

On the Enlisted Record Brief, in Section VII- Civilian Education, the first box allows for a narrative of college level completed. For example, "2 Years of College Completed".
At the bottom of that section, there's a box for number of semester hours completed.

The question:
Shouldn't the Soldier's total number of semester hours completed be listed in the "Number of Semester Hours Completed" box so long as the official transcripts are in iPERMS?

In my situation, I have "2 years of college completed" in the level completed section, but zero hours listed in number of semester hours completed. My official transcripts show a total of 74 complete semester hours, and my transcripts are in iPERMS.

I would ask this question to my S-1 but they appear to be the source of the problem. About ten or so Soldiers in my unit so far have had their college information deleted off their ERBs because our S-1 didn't "personally" verify the college transcripts (even though they are in iPERMS.)

I believe that the right answer (and what my ERB used to reflect) is the narrative of college level completed AND the total number of semester hours completed as well. For example:
Level Completed: 2 years of college completed
Number of Semester Hours Completed: (total number of semester hours here)

The NCO channel has already been utilized and the matter has been brought to the attention of the 1SG, but as an NCO I want to have my ducks in a row and be able to cite applicable regulations before I accuse someone else of doing the wrong thing.

Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks in advance...
Original Post
If you want your S1 to update college credit on your on ERB you should probably present them with a sealed official transcript.

So yes, they do need the "personally" verify this like everything else.

You could of killed 2 birds with one stone if you submitted the official to your S1 and had them forward it to your iPERMS and the respected personnel.

The difference between pulling your transcript off your OMPF compared to other documents is the college transcripts needs to be official and sealed prior to the update.

What is your S1 suppose to do if they get audited?
Take your college transcripts to S1, they can be opened so long as they have the official seal and registrars signature. They can also be copies as long as they have the same information, are actually legible and have copy on them. Most S1's will want them sealed in an envelope but that usually comes from people continuously bringing them un-official documents which are basically printouts from their school website. If you bring in a sealed envelope from your school then there are no questions.

If you have more than one then you need to take all of them to the Education Center to be compiled into one document. The reason for this is that colleges include military training so if you have 2 transcripts each with the same credit hours given for the same military training you would be double dipping.

That document does not get uploaded to OMPF just your transcripts. It's only given to you so S1 can properly adjust your Civilian Ed block.

For every 30 CR HRS you add 1 YR onto "Level Completed", below that should read your highest completed education.

If you already have a Associates and are working towards a Masters for instance (meaning you have 60 CR HRS + a Degree) you would put Associates Degree there as opposed to 60 SEM HRS COL CR OR MORE or whatever it is. It shows you have an actual Degree as opposed to just college.

In the total semester hours completed it shows how many total you have. It shows the board or whoever that you have an Associates Degree but you are still continuing your education.

If you have 0 credit hours and no degree as a High School Drop Out after 2 years;

2 YRS HS
LESS THAN HS DIPLOMA

**IF YOU ARE IN THIS BLOCK YOU ARE WRONG AS HELL**

If you have 28 credit hours and no degree w/GED; (30-2)

4 YRS HS
TEST-BASED EQUIV DIPLOMA
28 Credit Hours

If you have 28 credit hours and no degree w/HS Diploma; (30-2)

4 YRS HS
HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA
28 Credit Hours

If you have 36 credit hours and no degree; (30+6)

1 YR COLL
30 SEM HRS OR MORE COL CR
36 Credit Hours

If you have 80 credit hours and no degree; (60+20)

2 YR COLL
60 SEM HRS OR MORE COL CR
80 Credit Hours

If you have 80 credit hours and an Associates; (Does not matter)

2 YR COLL
ASSOCIATE DEGREE
80 Credit Hours

The biggest mistake S1's usually make are only updating the total credit hours or updating the total credit hours and 1-4 YR COLL.

Depending on what they know they might not put the second line in there. I've had to actually print out the pages off the eMilpo FG and show them (SSG and PFC).

Here: http://www.ssi.army.mil/ncoa/A...%20User%20Manual.pdf

Start at page 122.
quote:
Originally posted by TheBarbarian1532:
If you want your S1 to update college credit on your on ERB you should probably present them with a sealed official transcript.

So yes, they do need the "personally" verify this like everything else.

You could of killed 2 birds with one stone if you submitted the official to your S1 and had them forward it to your iPERMS and the respected personnel.

The difference between pulling your transcript off your OMPF compared to other documents is the college transcripts needs to be official and sealed prior to the update.

What is your S1 suppose to do if they get audited?

Thanks for the replies so far. I guess I left one point unclear, so I will clarify it here.

This is a new (to the unit) S-1 NCO. All of the affected Soldiers, including myself, went through the proper procedures in submitting college transcripts for entry into iPERMS, handing in official, sealed envelopes with official signed transcripts contained within. All of this was done either with the previous S-1 NCO or at Soldiers' previous units.

Basically, the new S-1 is taking it upon herself to remove college information from ERBs based on the fact that (even though the information was previously validated by a designated official) she herself did not personally validate the information. In other words, we have to re-submit transcripts that have already been properly validated and uploaded into iPERMS.

Maybe I am wrong, but is this a normal process for a newly assigned S-1 NCO assigned to a new unit to re-validate all the information in a Soldier's iPERMS and delete anything which he/she did not personally lay eyes on?

The fact that all of this happened right before this year's promotion points cutoff -and with no notification to the affected personnel- is not sitting very well with many.

Add Reply

Likes (0)