compassionate reassignment

Hi Phia's Mom: Your sweet little girl has a wonderful Mother.
I looked up STOMP this morning - the website is: www.stompproject.org. Their name is Specialized Training of Military Parents, and they are federally funded.
There is more emphasis on the EFMP program now than in the past. If ever there was a time, that your compassionate reassignment was to be granted, it could be now!
Thank you for the compliment. I enjoy being of service to each very special ACS client. I will keep my fingers crossed for you and hubby and Phia!
Hello GS Girl,

We have accomplished many things since the last time you and I wrote! The pediatrician here in Germany along with all the doctors in Miami have written letters discussing our daughters much needed treatment. We have submitted our EFMP packet and are awaiting for a response any day now. My husband has also gone ahead and filled out the DA3739. Basically all he's waiting for is a response so he can turn in the application to S1 along with all the doctors letters for the reassignment.

Now here is where we are having some doubts and questions.... My husbands DEROS date is October 2011 and ETS is in November 2011. Will these dates have any influence on the decision for compassionate reassignment? As far as your concerned, will he have to re-enlist in order to be approved? Like I mentioned to you before, he's an E6 with 11 years active service. Weather or not he signs "indef" is still in question. We are seeking to move to Miami (SOUTHCOM) where not only does she have all the treatment and help we need for her, but the support from both our families and friends are there as well. The tricky question is, he's 13b (Combat Arms). What do you suggest he do so that we can increase our chances of getting there???

Thank you again for all your valuable insight and information!!!
Hi Phia's Mom: So good to hear things are moving along well. I have an ACS contact in Miami, as a matter of fact, for when you hopefully (fingers crossed) make the move. Your question I will have to research tomorrow when I can make some calls when everything is open. Which I will do and get back to you. There are some military member gurus or maybe military spouses here on the board who do have specific training and knowledge on your specific question here today, and maybe they are available to jump in. In the meantime, be back with you tomorrow and I am very happy for you and Phia and your family! I just assisted another client EFMP family that is over income and resources for SSI - but their child - because of the severity of his disability - he is eligible for Medicaid and we got the family, In Home Supportive Services, caregiving benefits - these benefits can pay a family member or friend up to $33,000.00 a year to take care of the disabled child. But first things first. Getting to Miami #1! Hasta manana, amiga!
Great to hear you have a contact in Miami! Makes me feel a little more at ease. Apparently no one has any info. for me on here but you. LOL Which is ok given you have given me so much already and continue to help us. EFMP on our end was approved and so when my husband went to speak to his S1, she was out on leave till end of next week. He coulden't get much information because it seems as if she was the only one who knows anything on Compassionate Reasingment. I believe he was told he now needs to go to G1 tomorrow. This process cannot drag on any further.
I look forward to hearing from you and any information you might have for us!!!
Hasta la vista amiga!! Wink
Yes, Phia's Mom. G-1 is respectfully the ticket. I know that from working closely with S-1 - some of the most dedicated and hard working people I have ever met in my life are in there. I am surprised the S-1 person got permission to take off! I am so delighted you and hubby are very proactive. You have to be. Too many people find that out too late. At USAREC, for example, the reg states clearly that the ACS person in the gaining Battalion will be contacted prior to assignment of an EFMP family. Was that reg followed? Not until recently, hopefully, after many fiascoes, such as a family PCSing, and renting out their former home - then they get to the USAREC BN, and the ACS person did not know they were coming so a search for matching EFMP services was not done. Therefore, it has not been unusual that the EFMP family gets to the new location, no matching EFMP services! The EFMP child suffers, the Recruiter suffers, the spouse suffers, the other children suffer from the stress. Then it takes an act of God to get them out of the new Battalion and get them back to their home where the services are available!

By then, in this economy, many negative scenarios can arise - such as the out of state renter in the meantime trashed the house, stopped paying rent and took off, and then maybe the family loses the house before they get home because they can't afford the mortgage anymore, etc, then their credit gets ruined.

The Army/USAREC is totally on this issue now and hiring EFMP Program Navigators, (GS-11's),they are called, to assist EFMP families in ensuring they get all of the services they are entitled to!

Phia's Mom, it is a pleasure working with you. Today, I am working on a couple of other client rush issues and am getting a little behind and I may not be able to get back with you until tomorrow. Therefore, hasta manana, amiga!

Close your eyes now, Phia's Mom.

I have a message for the bullies on these forums. It is unlady like of me but this forum is not like being at work, so bullies, here's my message before you start in, "shut the f--- up".
Hi I am an Army wife and my Grandmother died May of last year, after her passing my Grandfather starting acting weird so my parents moved to be near him since the move my dads health has gotten pretty bad. He has diabetes and over Christmas we almost lost him. I was wondering if this is a good enough reason for the Army to reassign my husband to a base closer to my family.
Hello, my son is stationed at Fort Bliss Texas. My husband who has had cancer now for two years was just told that he has stage four lung cancer. They are only giving him up to a year to live. I would like for my son to be home so he can help out with his dad and spend time with him. I work all day and have no one else to be with my husband all day. We heard about compassionate reassignment. Someone (not sure who) told my son that he needs to find out all the information he needs and what all he needs to do this. Is this right? I cannot believe that they could not help him out and tell him what he needs. We know that he needs letters from my husbands doctor stating his illness, prognosis, etc... We are not sure what else he needs and what his next steps are. Could anyone help us with this? Does my son have a good chance of getting compassionate reassignment? It is now May and my son is scheduled to be sent to Afghanistan in December. How long will this process last? I really need my son home as soon as possible. Do we have any other options? Could someone please point us in the right direction, please? Thank you
The units Chaplain should also be able to point them in the right position. I think some people misunderstand the compassionate reassignment and think that the Army can just crap the Soldier out a position. You won't be assigned to Recruiting unless you are a Recruiter or part of the BARE minimum amount of Soldiers at MEPS.
I recently submitted my compassionate reassignment request, and I was approved. For a typical request that is approved you will be assigned the closest post to where you need to be where there is an opening for your MOS and rank. My mom lives in Illinois, and I was stationed 6 1/2 hours away in KY. Once you sign into your new post you will be given follow on orders to a local recruiting station for 120 days. I have also created an SOP for compassionate reassignments. Also to answer the time it can take anywhere from a week to 6 months+. Total time for me from turning in my packet to my chain of command to getting my orders was about 2 weeks. It is a bit different when you're scheduled to be deployed.

Below I have attached my SOP. It should hold lots of information to answer questions. Feel free to ask anything you may need I have researched this subject a lot!

4. REFERENCES:
A. AR 614-200
a. Section III Compassionate Actions 5–14.
5. CLARIFICATION: A compassionate reassignment (compassionate action request) is a request from a soldier needing relocation as soon as possible due to severe personal problems. Soldiers may be given a reassignment when extreme family problems exist, and can typically be resolved within one year.
A. There are two types of a compassionate reassignment.
a. Temporary reassignment can be resolved within one year.
b. Not temporary reassignments cannot be resolved within one year.
B. Examples of situations that normally are approved.
a. Severe medical issues pertaining to spouse or minor child. This can include, but is not limited to:
(i) Severe psychotic episodes.
(ii) Scheduled major surgery with a twelve months or less recovery period documented by the physician.
(iii) Documented rape where the soldiers’ presence is essential in resolving related problems.
b. Terminal illness of immediate family members with life expectancy of less than one year.
c. Death of an immediate family member when a dire circumstance exists.
d. Soldiers' minor children are being made wards of the court or placed in an orphanage or foster home as a result of family separation.
i. Separation must be the result of military service and not because of neglect or misconduct on part of the soldier.
e. Soldiers en route from an accompanied OCONUS tour to an unaccompanied OCONUS tour may be deferred for up to 30 days. The deferment is for settlement of family when the soldier's presence is required for unforeseen problems.

C. Examples of situations that are not normally approved.
a. Financial hardships.
b. Divorce and/or custody court hearings.
c. Minor allergies.
d. Desire to be in a new area or desire to be near family.
e. Single parenthood.
f. Pregnancies involving threatened miscarriage, breech birth, cesarean section, or RH incompatibility of spouse.
g. Problems relating to home ownership or inadequate housing.
h. Chronic problems in immediate family.

6. QUALIFICATIONS:
A. The problem cannot be resolved through the use of leave, correspondence, power of attorney, or the help of family members or other parties.
B. If the problem involves a family member, the soldier must be related.
a. A family member includes spouse, child, parent, minor brother or sister, person in loco parentis, or the only living blood relative of the soldier. Other persons, including parents-in-law, may also be considered, provided they are documented as authorized family members (dependents).
C. There must be a valid MOS and rank position available at the requested installation.
D. The problem must be temporary and resolvable within one year.
a. Longer request are sometimes approved.
E. The problem cannot have existed nor have been foreseen at the time of the latest entry on active duty.
a. Reenlistment without a break in service is not considered to be the latest entry on active duty.

7. FORMS NEEDED:
A. DA 3739
B. Medical Records (if situation pertains)
a. Any records pertaining to foreseen hospitalization periods, past hospitalization times, exact illness, etc.
C. A Letter from the attending physician (if the situation pertains).
a. The letter should include illness, prognosis, diagnosis, life expectancy if illness is terminal, date of onset, and anything else pertaining to the problem.
D. A Letter of recommendation from a Chaplin.
a. This is not required, but it can be helpful in some situations.
8. PROCEDURES:
A. Soldier must initiate the request on his or her own. No one else can initiate on behalf of the soldier.
B. Once the soldier has spoken with their NCO Support Channel about options available and they have come to an agreement that a compassionate reassignment request is necessary then the soldier should begin his or her packet of forms needed.
C. After the soldier has completed all necessary information the soldier should turn in his or her packet to his or her next up on their chain of command.
a. If the soldiers' chain of command believes further paperwork will be needed they will assist the soldier in obtaining them.
D. The soldiers' Chain of command will council the soldier about DA Form 3739, and review the soldiers' request.
E. Commanders have general court martial convening authority (GCMCA). This means they have been delegated the authority to disapprove compassionate requests when they clearly do not meet the prerequisites. Approval authority for compassionate reassignment rests with PERSCOM (Army Personnel Command).
F. The soldiers' request packet will then be sent to Human Resources Command (HRC) where they will review it. If it is approved they will determine where the soldier is eligible to be stationed, and orders will be assigned as soon as possible.
a. Compassionate reassignment request are not always approved or disapproved promptly. Different situations require different time allocations.
G. If a compassionate reassignment request is not approved, a soldier may only request reconsideration for the same family emergency one time. If the second request is also not approved, there will be no further reconsideration.
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick Raff:

Excellent info!

quote:

... For a typical request that is approved you will be assigned the closest post to where you need to be where there is an opening for your MOS and rank. My mom lives in Illinois, and I was stationed 6 1/2 hours away in KY. Once you sign into your new post you will be given follow on orders to a local recruiting station for 120 days. ....

This assumes that the unit you are "assigned to" is cool not having a Soldier they need. Because that Soldier will be assigned to them but not available to do the work.

Also, not all Soldiers end up in recruiting units for a Compassionate Reassignment. I had a son born in Germany, needed serious heart doctor work. He was medevac'd to the US, had surgery, wife lived with family a couple months while I did the CR paperwork. Ended up at Fort Meade, Maryland, not terribly far from his hospital in Philadelphia. Since the unit had actual slots for my MOS/rank, it turned into a regular assignment.
This is what is happening as of today. My son's Sergeant told him that he has to find the base to go to, that he has to find all the regulations, etc.... I don't understand that, you would think that they would help him in some way. My son says that there is no base's that are close enough. So I really don't know where to go from here. I really need my son home and he wants to be home for his dad. I heard that they have something also that he would be able to be discharged. I think it is called "hardship" something or another. Me nor my son do not want to go that route but if my son cannot get any headway that is what we will have to do. Anybody have any suggestions? I really need him home soon.
He can call his branch manager to ask where the closest opening is, and he can put that post or the closest loation to his father. For example since my Mom is located in Illinois I put in for Chicago MEPS. However, HRC will be the one to give him orders and assign him to a location if his compassionate is approved. (I was assigned to Kentucky 6 1/2 hours away from my request) If he really wants to put in for a compassionate he needs to read the SOP I posted earlier, and he needs to fill out DA 3739. Once he has that filled out he needs all of the paperwork I have listed in the SOP, medical records, chaplin letter, etc. Once he has all of this he can turn the packet into his chain of command, and they can get his request started. Please do note that if he is denied he can only reapply one time. Then he will be given no more chances.

quote:
Originally posted by pamom:
This is what is happening as of today. My son's Sergeant told him that he has to find the base to go to, that he has to find all the regulations, etc.... I don't understand that, you would think that they would help him in some way. My son says that there is no base's that are close enough. So I really don't know where to go from here. I really need my son home and he wants to be home for his dad. I heard that they have something also that he would be able to be discharged. I think it is called "hardship" something or another. Me nor my son do not want to go that route but if my son cannot get any headway that is what we will have to do. Anybody have any suggestions? I really need him home soon.
Pamom I hope you understand this will not be a short process, even if he were to be discharged that would take EVEN longer.

I understand this is a difficult time, but plan in your mind that this will take weeks to months. Especially if his job isn't within a headquarters.

This is pure speculation but I believe that Soldiers that have this happen the quickest, are in a Headquarters, Battalion, Brigade, or Division level where the signatures he will need are the people he is directly working for.
Hello, I am a female single parent of a three year old little girl that has ADD, and ive catched orders to Camp Casey,Korea. I just got back in November from a 12 month tour from Afghanistan and I reenlisted over there for stabalazation. I am aware that its only for 12 months, but is there any way i can put in for Compassionate Reassaignment? Im currently stationed in Ft.Hood,Texas. Please give all info possible, Thankyou.
couple questions to help get you a more accurate answer...

1. Is this your first enlistment? If so, did you join as a single parent?
2. Is the Army tracking you as having a dependent (LES, ERB, DEERS, ORDERS reflect having dependents, etc...)
3. Does your child qualify for the EFMP?
4. Are your Korea orders for a command sponsorship slot?

I believe when people join the army as a single parent they have to legally give up custody so they can attend basic, and ait.
quote:
Originally posted by solisliz13:
Hello, I am a female single parent... I am aware that its only for 12 months, but is there any way i can put in for Compassionate Reassaignment?

This is not usually for a compassionate reassignment. Compassionate reassignments are for "emergencies" in which being stationed somewhere for 12months will help you to "fix" the emergency.

Being a single parent in the Army will not be 'fixed' by the Army putting you wherever you want each assignment. You'll have to work something else out.

Good luck!
solisliz13
When you returned from Afghanistan it reset your dwell time to 12 months. Unless you waive your dwell time you cannot be sent on another deployment or dependent restricted tour until the dwell time is up. You can however be sent on a command-sponsored tour with your dependents.

Call your branch manager and explain that you are not willing to waive your dwell time and ensure that your orders are for a command sponsored tour. If it is dependent restricted they should delete the orders or at least defer them until November when your dwell time expires.

Your daughter should be enrolled into EFMP. You can check with the office there to ensure that the have the right support for her needs in the area. If they do not have that support EFMP should be able to get the orders canceled.

EFMP does not apply to dependent restricted tours though so if the orders are deferred until your dwell time expires your only option would be to go to Korea or if you cannot get a long term family care plan you can be chaptered out.
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick Raff:
I recently submitted my compassionate reassignment request, and I was approved. For a typical request that is approved you will be assigned the closest post to where you need to be where there is an opening for your MOS and rank. My mom lives in Illinois, and I was stationed 6 1/2 hours away in KY. Once you sign into your new post you will be given follow on orders to a local recruiting station for 120 days. I have also created an SOP for compassionate reassignments. Also to answer the time it can take anywhere from a week to 6 months+. Total time for me from turning in my packet to my chain of command to getting my orders was about 2 weeks. It is a bit different when you're scheduled to be deployed.

Below I have attached my SOP. It should hold lots of information to answer questions. Feel free to ask anything you may need I have researched this subject a lot!

4. REFERENCES:
A. AR 614-200
a. Section III Compassionate Actions 5–14.
5. CLARIFICATION: A compassionate reassignment (compassionate action request) is a request from a soldier needing relocation as soon as possible due to severe personal problems. Soldiers may be given a reassignment when extreme family problems exist, and can typically be resolved within one year.
A. There are two types of a compassionate reassignment.
a. Temporary reassignment can be resolved within one year.
b. Not temporary reassignments cannot be resolved within one year.
B. Examples of situations that normally are approved.
a. Severe medical issues pertaining to spouse or minor child. This can include, but is not limited to:
(i) Severe psychotic episodes.
(ii) Scheduled major surgery with a twelve months or less recovery period documented by the physician.
(iii) Documented rape where the soldiers’ presence is essential in resolving related problems.
b. Terminal illness of immediate family members with life expectancy of less than one year.
c. Death of an immediate family member when a dire circumstance exists.
d. Soldiers' minor children are being made wards of the court or placed in an orphanage or foster home as a result of family separation.
i. Separation must be the result of military service and not because of neglect or misconduct on part of the soldier.
e. Soldiers en route from an accompanied OCONUS tour to an unaccompanied OCONUS tour may be deferred for up to 30 days. The deferment is for settlement of family when the soldier's presence is required for unforeseen problems.

C. Examples of situations that are not normally approved.
a. Financial hardships.
b. Divorce and/or custody court hearings.
c. Minor allergies.
d. Desire to be in a new area or desire to be near family.
e. Single parenthood.
f. Pregnancies involving threatened miscarriage, breech birth, cesarean section, or RH incompatibility of spouse.
g. Problems relating to home ownership or inadequate housing.
h. Chronic problems in immediate family.

6. QUALIFICATIONS:
A. The problem cannot be resolved through the use of leave, correspondence, power of attorney, or the help of family members or other parties.
B. If the problem involves a family member, the soldier must be related.
a. A family member includes spouse, child, parent, minor brother or sister, person in loco parentis, or the only living blood relative of the soldier. Other persons, including parents-in-law, may also be considered, provided they are documented as authorized family members (dependents).
C. There must be a valid MOS and rank position available at the requested installation.
D. The problem must be temporary and resolvable within one year.
a. Longer request are sometimes approved.
E. The problem cannot have existed nor have been foreseen at the time of the latest entry on active duty.
a. Reenlistment without a break in service is not considered to be the latest entry on active duty.

7. FORMS NEEDED:
A. DA 3739
B. Medical Records (if situation pertains)
a. Any records pertaining to foreseen hospitalization periods, past hospitalization times, exact illness, etc.
C. A Letter from the attending physician (if the situation pertains).
a. The letter should include illness, prognosis, diagnosis, life expectancy if illness is terminal, date of onset, and anything else pertaining to the problem.
D. A Letter of recommendation from a Chaplin.
a. This is not required, but it can be helpful in some situations.
8. PROCEDURES:
A. Soldier must initiate the request on his or her own. No one else can initiate on behalf of the soldier.
B. Once the soldier has spoken with their NCO Support Channel about options available and they have come to an agreement that a compassionate reassignment request is necessary then the soldier should begin his or her packet of forms needed.
C. After the soldier has completed all necessary information the soldier should turn in his or her packet to his or her next up on their chain of command.
a. If the soldiers' chain of command believes further paperwork will be needed they will assist the soldier in obtaining them.
D. The soldiers' Chain of command will council the soldier about DA Form 3739, and review the soldiers' request.
E. Commanders have general court martial convening authority (GCMCA). This means they have been delegated the authority to disapprove compassionate requests when they clearly do not meet the prerequisites. Approval authority for compassionate reassignment rests with PERSCOM (Army Personnel Command).
F. The soldiers' request packet will then be sent to Human Resources Command (HRC) where they will review it. If it is approved they will determine where the soldier is eligible to be stationed, and orders will be assigned as soon as possible.
a. Compassionate reassignment request are not always approved or disapproved promptly. Different situations require different time allocations.
G. If a compassionate reassignment request is not approved, a soldier may only request reconsideration for the same family emergency one time. If the second request is also not approved, there will be no further reconsideration.

PATRICK THE ULTIMATE WEAPON IS AN EDUCATIONED MIND AND UNFORTUNATELY MY MIND IN IS OVERLOAD!! I really need your assistance and any information you can give me will be a blessing. We're stationed at Fort Campbell, KY and I have had three surgeries since February 28, 2012 and I need at least one more from the doctor's negligence. I can't get continuity of patient care here and we're now facing custody issues of my husband's two daughters. We are applying for Compassionate Reassignment and my civilian doctor needs help with writing a supporting letter to see that we get me stationed closer to family to provide convalescent care while I recover from these multiple procedures. Can you assist us? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
hey im and deployed as we speak. my wife has been having kidney problems for the longest. i am trying to put in my paperwork in for compassionate reassignment so once i return i can change duty station. she lives in north carolina and i stay in georgia bragg is the most covient duty station because i will b able to make it to the hospital at any time jus need some help please
You could go anywhere there is a decent hospital. Your request is much more likely to be approved if you request "a duty station near hospital that can treat X ailment". If you get hung up on trying to go to only one place you're asking for disappointment.

You could put in the request now, depending on how cooperative your chain of command is. Because you could be bumped off the deployment to go PCS.

BTW the first O-5 in your chain of command is the one who "approve/disapprove" but even if they disapprove the Army could still okay it. You need documentation that she needs to live somewhere else from her doctor.
i have a second compassionate turned in, does anyone know where I go to check the status on it? I remember there was a site I went to before to see if it was approved or not but that was some years ago and now I can't find the site. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Add Reply

Likes (0)