confused, upset... please help me :(

ok so i went and took the asvab yesterday and made a 40 on it. before i went up there i was told i could retake it in 30-31 days. the jobs that popped up for me were, as the people i asked said, the "Army's crappiest jobs". i am very disappointed with all this. i've lost almost 100 lbs. to get in and this is what i get because of a bad day during a test. well anyway today i called them and told them what i had decided on (retaking the test) and i was told that i couldn't retake it since i qualified. and then they went on to say that my AFQT had nothing to do with the jobs that popped up and that a lot of the jobs in the Army are closed to applicants because they are full. now, i don't know if that's a lie, but something deep inside me says they aren't being toally honest to me. the recruiter blew me off from picking me up today to get taped/weighed because he said i wasn't ready to get the process moving along and that when i decided i wanted to do it to come in and we'd do it. idk what to do and i'm just upset and angry with all of this.
Original Post
Yeah, what your recruiter is doing is total crap. You can take that ASVAB as many times as you want to try and get a better score. And as far as jobs being full, maybe there are some that are but they will open up eventually. If you don't mind waiting a little while and doing the delayed entry option then you can get the job you want. Keep in mind though, you will have to score higher than a 40 to get some jobs.
what should i do? can you give me some advice or something? it just doesn't seem fair to me to have to take a job that i'm gonna be miserable in. joining the army is supposed to be a rewarding experience that you learn from and grow with and being in a job that you're miserable in... you don't get to experience the fullness of being proud of what you do. the only thing i've ever really been sure of in my life is that i want to be a soldier!!! and yes i will do whatever it takes to score higher!!!!
You can take the ASVAB again, but there is a catch. The only ASVAB that counts is the most recent one, so if your score goes down the next time, you're stuck with that score. You can take the ASVAB up to three times with a month wait between tests. After the third test, the waiting period between tests increases to six months.
You have to determine what's more important to you, a specific job or just being in the Army. I'm not saying that you should settle for anything, but you should have a few jobs in mind in case you are not qualified for your first or second choice.
Another factor is how long you are willing to wait for a job. Right now your choices may be somewhat limited if you are trying to leave very soon, due to lack of available training. If you are fine with leaving later in the year, more training seats will be available and you may have more jobs to choose from.
quote:
Originally posted by limaoscarvictorecho:
well initially i wanted 68W...

but the jobs that popped up were

92W, 91D, 92G, 91C

and they said they could call a ROC on these...

92A
42A
42L
92Y
25R

First off, I should tell you I've met a few people in the Army who chose their job and are still miserable. The Army is all what you make it.

The MOS' listed above arent too bad but if they're not what you want then I guess they dont seem too appealing.

FYI, between them I would choose 92Y. They can go to almost any unit and promotions are pretty good (something nobody told me about before I joined was that promotions are MOS specific.)

This is just my .02 cents. I know its a hard decision and I hope you're able to get info you need.
quote:
well initially i wanted 68W...

but the jobs that popped up were

92W, 91D, 92G, 91C

and they said they could call a ROC on these...

92A
42A
42L
92Y
25R

You're not going to be a 68W unless you can raise your ASVAB score over a 50. What is so bad about some of the other jobs? The only jobs I see on that list that I would consider shit jobs are 92G and 92W. Where are you getting your information about these jobs from?
random soldiers lol... and really they don't appeal to me at all. i mean i know i shouldn't be picky, but i really don't see myself doing any of them jobs.

and yes i know my score needs to be way higher than what i got to be a medic. i bombed on the test bc i am so stressed out about everything. i try to calm down, but idk its hard sometimes.
You could just take it then once you get into the army enroll in fast class which will raise your GT score and then if you decide to stay in the army IE reenlist you can change jobs to something you want. Or you can just stay a civillian and worry about how your recruiter is screwing you either or. Thing is the Army is filling up so recruiters arent having to break there backs for potential joes anymore.
Hey. First of all I want to commend you on losing the weight that you did. Thats awesome and shows true dedication. As far as the ASBAV, I know that at Hastings and probably every other book store have study books for the ASVAB so I recommend grabbing one of those, hitting the book up a few hours a day until your next test date and see what comes of it. Whatever you decide to do, good luck.
Promotion wise the above MOS E5 points are low but there E6 points you damn near have to max out. But seriously all BS aside and iam not even playing you know you can be a fire fighter in the army or a boat crew mechanic. Every fire fighter i met loved it. And I met a few boat crew mechanics in hawaii and they love it plus they get sea and hazordous duty pay. So dont let your recruiter bs u. As him for the book with all the MOS listings so you can read over them. Trust me they have one they just dont like to show you because they want to hurry up and sign u up
I came in with a not so good job and reclassed to what I wanted after waiting 4 years.

Good things come to those who wait...plus, once you get in the Army you'll soon realize that you're job is a lot of other stuff than what your MOS says. Lots of people don't even get to do their MOS. Good luck though in whatever you choose. You may like 68W, but the promotion points could be really high which means its harder to get promoted. $$$. Do alittle research on those jobs offered to you before you decline them.
quote:
Lots of people don't even get to do their MOS.

I can vouch for that. But it did LOOK good on my resume which got me a good job.

To the OP: Someone above mentioned to go pick up one of those books on the ASVAB. That is exactly what you should do. Don't settle for a job you don't like and don't let your recruiter rush you (you can always go to a different recruiting station if they aren't helping you and I'm sure the other recruiters will appreciate the other station doing all the paperwork for them). If you aren't happy going in the chances are you won't be happy when you are actually in.

Make Google your friend, you can find a list of all the MOS's and descriptions without going into the recruiters office.

Be calm....Woosabi! There is nothing to be stressed about at MEPS, they are just asses cuz they hate their jobs or are on a power trip. Ignore them and nail that ASVAB. Wish ya luck.
quote:
But seriously all BS aside and iam not even playing you know you can be a fire fighter in the army or a boat crew mechanic.

You guys have to be real with this kid. Yeah, the Army has fire fighters and boat mechanics, but how many training slots are available for those jobs?? There are only a handful of them in the Army period, so those slots are few and far between and are gonna disappear fast. Is he even qualified for those jobs?
Like I was saying earlier, what you need to do is come up with a list of four or five jobs you wouldn't mind doing. Take that list to your recruiter and he/she will be able to tell you if you're qualified for those jobs. The next step is to check on the availability of the jobs you are qualified for. Shit, you may be fully qualified to be a fire fighter, but if there aren't any training slots available until March of 2010 you're just SOL.
If you're going to retake the ASVAB, ask your recruiter about www.march2success.com. If you buy an ASVAB book, only study the math and english, because that's where your AFQT score comes from.
quote:
ok so i went and took the asvab yesterday and made a 40 on it.

This is my honest, down to earth recommendation. Stop what you are doing. Go down to your recruiter and ask for an ASVAB study guide, or go to your local book store and pick one up. Take some time and study. Understand the concepts, understand how the test is designed and questions are designed. Go back and take the test again.

You will likely see a drastic difference. If your recruiter does not permit you to retake your ASVAB simply go to another recruiter or ask to speak to the commander of the recruiting station for clarification.

This is not a "bad day during a test". This is simply a score that reflects the preparation. If you prepare more, study, sleep well, you will perform well.

You need to be honest with yourself. If you choose to be upset at the military then that is fine, but it won't fix anything. Study, perform well, open up your options, make a quality decision.
KSoler had a great point. The Army like anything else is what you put into it. Take this time to study up and understand the concept. Many of people (including myself at 17 when I came in) was still in that "its all about me stage" Everyone was out to get me etc etc. This is not so.

Also a big thing is to keep on your routine. The day before and day of don't deviate to far from your normal routine. ie, if you eat a bagel and cream cheese for breakfast with a power shake every other day do it the day of the test also.

Good luck and let us know how it goes for you!
quote:
Originally posted by teh_hook:
KSoler had a great point. The Army like anything else is what you put into it. Take this time to study up and understand the concept. Many of people (including myself at 17 when I came in) was still in that "its all about me stage" Everyone was out to get me etc etc. This is not so.

Your recruiter did not lie, we can not take you back to retest based soley on the purpose that you want to retest.
He was right your job does not come from your AFQT score it comes from your line scores.

Your recruiter is not allowed to help you study or give you study materials; key word is not suppose to what happens other than that is on you. If by chance you do take another test and get lower then your going to be sucking even worst. Id say fi this is something you want to do go in and improve your score while in.
Also a big thing is to keep on your routine. The day before and day of don't deviate to far from your normal routine. ie, if you eat a bagel and cream cheese for breakfast with a power shake every other day do it the day of the test also.

Good luck and let us know how it goes for you!
Ty very much all of you for all of your input. I've decided I'm just gonna roll with the score I got. I can't re-take the test since I qualified, but that's ok. The Station Commander gave me a few other jobs that didn't pop up that she said she'd call the ROC over, but that I'd have to be ready to go (tape, weight, ready for physical) the moment she calls the ROC to hold the job for me if it is available. So we'll see... yeah I'm bummed as hell about the score, but oh well... I can improve it later. But... overall bummed or not I want to be a soldier. Giving up now after all I've done to get into the Army would be so freakin STUPID. So with that said... thank you again for all ur comments n support!!!!
Getting the good job in India is very Difficult.Peoples want to get a good platform but they can't get it due to the lack of knowledge.Companies offers lots of Jobs In India Delhi is the capital of India and there are lots of option available for the youth in every stream.Placement in final year is a good solution for the students and as well as companies.Online world also plays a great role in this field.several websites are available for the students and youth for finding the suitable plat form.
Likes (0)