Firstly I would like to thank you in advance for your help as currently I am in a bit of a pickle.
I am a E-5 with 6 years in the Army and on my second enlistment. I just recently came down on orders to move from Campbell to Bragg and my report date is June 10th, that is less than 14 months from my ETS date. I own a home and plan to stay at Ft. Campbell after my ETS as well as own a local business that I am trying to make successful.
There lies my problem. If I move now I will be at the very least be putting my business on hold if not dooming it in the current economy.
The question I have is can I sign a declination statement before or near my report date and stay at my current unit till my ETS? I know it will bar me from reenlistment as well as favorable action but will it keep me from coming back in at a later date if my situation changes down the line? Will it keep me from getting a honorable discharge? Will the army simply assign me to a new duty station or will I then be short enough where they need to ETS me where I am?
I understand the needs of the army however it seems pointless to move me so close to my ETS as the job I will be filling will need to be filled again in a year.
I would like to conclude that the Army has treated me very well and I would not trade this time for anything its just time for me to pursue my business.
Thank you again for your help in this matter.