DLA and TLE during/after travel to Camp Humphrey's Korea

So here is the deal, I am PCSing to Korea on 9 Decemeber and have figured out most of the hurdles that come with it (esp as a single guy, dealing with POV storage, moving out of your house, household goods, unaccompainied baggage all sucks.. but I digress). The main thing I am stumped on is how to file for Dislocation Allowance DLA and Temporary Lodging Expense TLE.

First the plan of attack and followed by my understanding (or lack thereof) on how to get paid back.

Thurs, 5 Dec: Travel from duty station to STL for POV storage
Fri, 6 Dec: Drop of POV at STL location; get flight to Seattle (port of call).
Sat, 7 Dec: Stay in SEA enjoy sites, wait fro flight
Sun, 8 Dec: Ditto
Mon. 9 Dec: Catch rotator to Korea
Tues/Wed 10/11 Dec: Arrive in Korea, begin the suck
12 Dec-beyond: Whatever follows afterwards

From my understanding I will be required to stay at base lodging while inprocessing, which will come out of pocket or put on Gov Travel Card until reimbursement comes at final duty station.

This is where thigns get murky... do I get Travel/Lodging pay and Per Diem for those days I will be stayign in hotels in route to drop my POV off, and then while waiting for the rotator (POV drop off is only Mon-Friday, and the only flight out they could get me was Monday 9 Dec, hence the weekend stay in SEA, also I wanted to kick it in SEA-TAC for the weekend, sue me)?

If I get travel pay (TLE) during those days, do i still get the TLE for the stay in the lodging in Korea? The way I read the JFTR, it says i get TLE for up to 10 days Conus, and 5 days OCONUS... but tat document is written like shit, and is super confusing....

Also do any finance people know how to (or have insturctions on how to) fill out the DLA/TLE request form DFAS FORM 9114? The finance speak in all of this is unbearabvle and drive me batshit crazy.

If this is confusing let me know and I will try and clear some of the things up... but for the record, its all making my head hurt, and IM not sure i can get any more clear than the muddy water already provided.

Lastly, I would talk to finance, but I am on an AFB, at a command with no competent J1 support, pretty much flapping in the wind here... if anythign I might have to go ask some Air Force finance person for help, somethign I REALLY dont want to do :-/
Original Post
quote:
Originally posted by 98C40_35N40:
So here is the deal, I am PCSing to Korea on 9 Decemeber and have figured out most of the hurdles that come with it (esp as a single guy, dealing with POV storage, moving out of your house, household goods, unaccompainied baggage all sucks.. but I digress). The main thing I am stumped on is how to file for Dislocation Allowance DLA and Temporary Lodging Expense TLE.

First the plan of attack and followed by my understanding (or lack thereof) on how to get paid back.

Thurs, 5 Dec: Travel from duty station to STL for POV storage
Fri, 6 Dec: Drop of POV at STL location; get flight to Seattle (port of call).
Sat, 7 Dec: Stay in SEA enjoy sites, wait fro flight
Sun, 8 Dec: Ditto
Mon. 9 Dec: Catch rotator to Korea
Tues/Wed 10/11 Dec: Arrive in Korea, begin the suck
12 Dec-beyond: Whatever follows afterwards

From my understanding I will be required to stay at base lodging while inprocessing, which will come out of pocket or put on Gov Travel Card until reimbursement comes at final duty station.

This is where thigns get murky... do I get Travel/Lodging pay and Per Diem for those days I will be stayign in hotels in route to drop my POV off, and then while waiting for the rotator (POV drop off is only Mon-Friday, and the only flight out they could get me was Monday 9 Dec, hence the weekend stay in SEA, also I wanted to kick it in SEA-TAC for the weekend, sue me)?

If I get travel pay (TLE) during those days, do i still get the TLE for the stay in the lodging in Korea? The way I read the JFTR, it says i get TLE for up to 10 days Conus, and 5 days OCONUS... but tat document is written like shit, and is super confusing....

Also do any finance people know how to (or have insturctions on how to) fill out the DLA/TLE request form DFAS FORM 9114? The finance speak in all of this is unbearabvle and drive me batshit crazy.

If this is confusing let me know and I will try and clear some of the things up... but for the record, its all making my head hurt, and IM not sure i can get any more clear than the muddy water already provided.

Lastly, I would talk to finance, but I am on an AFB, at a command with no competent J1 support, pretty much flapping in the wind here... if anythign I might have to go ask some Air Force finance person for help, somethign I REALLY dont want to do :-/

Going through this leaving OCONUS now. Consider the days where you drop off your vehicle TDY, you will fill out a DD 1351-2 once you get to your new unit that will cover those days, they won't (shouldn't) count against your TLA. Just make sure to keep the receipts obviously for everything and ensure the lodging rate in SEA is below the Gov't rate. Remember that TLE is stateside and TLA is OCONUS and they are separate entitlements.

Don't worry about the DLA stuff until you get the Korea. The finance office will walk you through how to fill out forms unless there is a need to have it beforehand. In that case, I'd check out http://www.dfas.mil/pcstravel.html

Add Reply

Likes (0)