ETS Active duty to Reserves or Guard. Which one?

I ETS in MAY2015 as an E-5 with 7yrs, will be 8 by the time I get out.

I plan on going to college full time when I ETS and was wondering if going Reserves or Guard would be a good idea.

And just in case, for whatever reason (girlfriend gets knocked up) could I get out of my contract with guard/reserves and go back into Active duty?

I plan on going to school and coming back into the Active Army as an Officer, Nursing corps specifically. Mainly due to the fact I'm too old to do any other branch (27 right now).

Any reasons you can give me to join the Guard/Reserves would be appriciated.

Thanks.
Original Post
quote:
Originally posted by ROCKTAVIAN:
I plan on going to college full time when I ETS and was wondering if going Reserves or Guard would be a good idea.

Yes. You will be eligible for TA, and possibly the MGIB-SR and student loan repayment.

[wuote]And just in case, for whatever reason (girlfriend gets knocked up) could I get out of my contract with guard/reserves and go back into Active duty?[/quote] Conditional releases are possible with command approval. This is generally not a problem in the USAR, but with the Guard it can vary from state to state. Your major limiting factor is the enlistment needs of the Regular Army. Right now, you'd better have the right rank, MOS, SQI and language if you want back in.

quote:
Any reasons you can give me to join the Guard/Reserves would be appriciated.

USAR tends to be more flexible with assignment and has a much greater medical presence.
If you get out, and want to come back AD, your only good chance is going officer.

Prior Service business rules for enlisted are currently very strict and limited. Basically, the only real option given to PS is SF pipeline.

This is an older page on this website but you can join it for current info.

https://forums.goarmy.com/thread/245048

Both components are good but you just need to find the unit that has the MOS that you are looking for and is not that far to travel.
not steping on what the 2 said above,

but what makes you think that the Guard or Reserves are different when compared to AD for contracts?

yes there is possible conditional releases and waivers for almost anything, but you better come up with a better excuse than you knocking up the GF. these are normally reserved for Soldiers who have a need to be released.. i.e. Soldiers caring for a sick family member ( long term illness and such)

This is not a "at will" employment.

I am National Guard, and can concur that at this time (from what i have seen first hand) that the only way Soldiers wishing to go AD is the SF route.
There are so many circumstances in play on this question that there is no "good" answer. The policy regarding a Reserve Component Soldier being granted a conditional release (DD Form 368) from your Commander and then being accepted onto Active Duty changes often. I would recommend going Guard if the state you are going into has a state tuition assistance program as they can be combined with your FTA/GI Bill from active duty and you will end up with extra money in your pocket.

Source: 12 years experience as a Reserve Component recruting/retention NCO, and personal experience coming from active to Guard and going to college with the GI Bill.
On the status of Reserves vs. NG, I would be kind of bias toward Reserves having served there prior to going AD.

Back in the early 80s, some of my friends who were in the LANG did not get pay when the state had its financial problems. However, my friends who were in CANG and TXNG always got activated during wildfire season and Medical MOSs were heavily called upon.

However, by the Reserves being on a federal payroll, even when the government got shut down, I received my drill pay.

My thing was always financial and if I could exercise the talents I learned from my monthly drills and put them into action.

So, if your state is financially stable, you'll be good in the NG. If not, I would roll with Reserves.

Add Reply

Likes (0)