Forced to SOM board before going to Promo Board

I wanted to know if it can be made mandatory to win a SOM board to get a shot at the Promotion Board. My unit said I had to go to a SOM board before they would send me to a Promotion Board, I went since I was in Secondary Zone and did not win. I am now in Primary Zone for the last month and am being told I have to go back to the SOM because I didn't win. Also I have had no counseling saying why I have not been sent to a promtion board yet, but I did ask why. Should I use the open door policy here?
Original Post
Yes, if your leadership says that in order for them to take you to the promotion board you must win a SOM board then thats what you need to do. Prepare, Perform and Win.

You should be getting counseled as to why you are not being recommended to apear before the promotion board:

AR 600-8-19 quote:

1–26. Counseling of Soldiers not recommended for promotion
a. First-line leaders will counsel Soldiers who are eligible for promotion to PV2 through SSG without a waiver
(fully qualified) but not recommended in writing. Counseling will take place initially when the Soldier attains
eligibility, and at least every 3 months thereafter, and include information as to why the Soldier was not recommended
and what can be done to correct deficiencies or qualities that reflect a lack of promotion potential.

Your leadership is simply trying to develop your skills to better prepare you for apperance at the board. Step up and accept the challenge your leadership is placing before you and exceed their expectations and truly demonstrate that you are ready to be a Professional, a Non-Commisioned Officer and a Leader.
quote:
Originally posted by rydin5pinna5:
I wanted to know if it can be made mandatory to win a SOM board to get a shot at the Promotion Board. ... Should I use the open door policy here?

Yes and sure.

My first promotion board was my first board.
My second promotion board was in a unit which made me go to NCO/month board first.

Talk it up the chain if you have issues with it. Then execute what you're told.
Your NCO should be counseling you as to why they feel you are not ready for the promotion board. And that counseling should identify areas that justify why they believe you are not ready. To acheive that next skill level, you must have mastered the one you are in now, so you can lead and train those that are subordinate to you.

My advice is to follow your NCO support channel, and don't by-pass those NCO's in it. That could compound your situation.

Whom ever counsels you, it is their obligation to you to bring it to your attention the areas they feel you may need some work in to attain that next level of leadership. You are a reflection of their leadership, and it appears your ambitions are of good nature, but ensure that you are staying with in your bounds to reach your goals.

If, and only if, your counselor and mentor refuses to annotate on a 4856 why they are not recommending you for the promotion board, then I would utilize the open door policy. But try and take it up with them first, you are allowed to ask questions at your counseling session, so ask!

Keep going to the SOM boards. They are good learning platforms that will develop you and prepare you for your promotion board. And when your time comes, you will knock your promotion board out of the park.

Even after the promotion board, continue going the SOM boards. They show ambition and a will to excel in what you do.
As a former AD Marine, Army Reservist and Guardsman, when I switched to active duty in the Army; I never went to one soldier of the month board. I only went to the E5 and E6 promotion boards and made points the first month on the list. Each time.

Nevertheless, nobody could force you to go to a SOM of the month board but in the same token it prepares you for the promotion board. I had an E5 that wanted to go to the E6 board that boloed on two attempts at the promotion board. He was told to come back in six months by the CSM. So now the section is taking precaution by sending soldiers to the SOM first in addition to mocks.

Just realize each unit has different rules and to succeed you have to adapt and not try to buck the system. If you are ready for the next grade, do what they ask; if not then expect your goals to move a little much slower. EO/Open door policy is not going to help you get promoted any faster. It will just piss your leaders off.

Use your head.
In my unit, the SOM Board is a prerequisite for going to the promotion board.

It is good practice so that you a.) know what to expect at the promo board, and b.) know the material and are ready for the promo board.

You have to look at it as your leadership looking out for YOU. With more experience, you will be more confident and more knowledgeable. They are setting you up for success. Soak it up and excell!

Matt
I don't believe in this way of doing things. Being forced to attend a SOM board is just a bullet for his NCOER. It won't reflect on yours. You will get an AAM or ARCOM. It won't help you get promoted to E-7+.

Mock boards are there for the leadership to identify the Soldiers weakness at a board and Prep the Soldier for the board. Saying a SOM board will give you experience is Bull.

What I loved about my E-5 board is it wasn't in Class As, it was in Duty uniform and we had to demonstrate my MOS task in front of the board. Any Soldier can memorize a study guide if he has enough discipline. But put that Soldier under stress will show you his true potential.
quote:
Originally posted by frost_65:
I don't believe in this way of doing things. Being forced to attend a SOM board is just a bullet for his NCOER. It won't reflect on yours. You will get an AAM or ARCOM. It won't help you get promoted to E-7+.

Mock boards are there for the leadership to identify the Soldiers weakness at a board and Prep the Soldier for the board. Saying a SOM board will give you experience is Bull.

What I loved about my E-5 board is it wasn't in Class As, it was in Duty uniform and we had to demonstrate my MOS task in front of the board. Any Soldier can memorize a study guide if he has enough discipline. But put that Soldier under stress will show you his true potential.

I agree. That is how the boards are run here downrange. I dont believe a SOM or continuance of boards is indicative of being a good leader. Again, a first line/section recommended a soldier that has the potential for the next grade but the manner in which he performed at the board; made the board members non-rec him.

Also, I like that the E6 board is more scenario base and they should drive the E5 promotion board like that as well.

Add Reply

Likes (0)