How are combat patches awarded?

I want to know how combat patches are awarded. We had a formation where our Battery Commander gave us the 45th BCT patch so I know I am authorized that patch. During that formation he told us that we would in the future be authorized the 177th MP Brigade, and the 300th MP Brigade patches.

My Battery is under the 504th MP BN for this deployment. They were the 42 MP Brigade patch. Some people in my unit have started to were the 42nd patch for there combat patch. Also my First Sergent has started to wear the MNF-I patch as his combat patch.

I am sure that these people didn't earn the patches on previous deployments. I am still wearing the 45th BCT patch since my Commander awarded it to me. I would like to wear the other patches if I am authorized to do so.

How do I know if I am authorized?
Original Post
SPC Koehn,
Shoulder Sleeve Inignia-Former Wartime Service (SSI-FWTS) "Combat Patch" is a very specific patch and a soldier cannot just wear any pacth from his MACOM down. For example, a soldier in 5th Special Forces Group deploys and his orders have him as going with 5th SFG, then he can only wear the SF patch. He cannot wear USASOC(United States Army Special Operations Command) patch or the SOCOM patch even though 5th SFG is under these two commands. If people from your unit are on orders with 504th MP BN then, yes, they can wear that patch, but if it is not said on their orders then they are wrong.

SUBJECT: AR 670-1, 3 FEB 05, WEAR AND APPEARANCE OF ARMY UNIFORMS AND INSIGNIA
1. THIS MESSAGE SERVES AS IMPLEMENTING INSTRUCTIONS FOR CHANGES TO THE WEAR POLICY
OUTLINED IN AR 670-1, APPENDIX F, SHOULDER SLEEVE INSIGNIA-FORMER WARTIME SERVICE (SSIFWTS).

2. SINCE 1945, THE INTENT OF THE WEAR OF THE SSI-FWTS HAS BEEN TO DENOTE SOLDIERS
PARTICIPATION IN COMBAT OPERATIONS, AS DIRECTED BY THE SECRETARY OF THE ARMY, WHILE
SERVING WITH LARGE ECHELON DEPLOYED UNITS. BASED ON THE WAY UNITS ARE CURRENTLY
DEPLOYING, THE WEAR POLICY FOR THE SSI-FWTS MUST BE REVISED TO CLEARLY CAPTURE THE
WARTIME RELATIONSHIP WITH FIGHTING UNITS ON THE GROUND.

3. THIS POLICY CHANGE IS EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY AND IS NOT RETROACTIVE.

4. THIS GUIDANCE APPLIES TO SOLDIERS OF ALL COMPONENTS (ACTIVE, ARNG, AND USAR) THAT
DEPLOY DURING PERIODS OF SERVICE DESIGNATED FOR WEAR OF THE SSI-FWTS, IN ACCORDANCE
WITH AR 670-1, PARAGRAPH 28-17.

5. THERE IS NO TIME-IN-THEATER REQUIREMENT TO BE AUTHORIZED TO WEAR THE SSI-FWTS.

6. A DEPLOYED UNIT (COMPANY OR HIGHER) WILL WEAR THEIR UNIT S SSI AS THE SSI-FWTS. THIS IS
TRUE REGARDLESS OF WHETHER THE HEADQUARTERS ELEMENT DEPLOYS, AND REGARDLESS OF
THE NUMBER OF CHANGES TO THE UNIT S ALIGNMENT OR OPERATIONAL CONTROL (OPCON) DURING
THE PERIOD OF DEPLOYMENT.

7. WHEN ECHELONS BELOW COMPANY LEVEL DEPLOY, MEMBERS OF THESE UNITS WILL WEAR THE
SSI OF THE LOWEST ECHELON DEPLOYED UNIT (COMPANY OR HIGHER) IN THEIR NEW DEPLOYED
CHAINS OF COMMAND AS THEIR SSI-FWTS.

8. WHEN THERE IS NO INTERMEDIATE UNIT (COMPANY OR HIGHER) IN THE DEPLOYED CHAIN OF
COMMAND, DEPLOYED SOLDIERS WILL WEAR THE SSI OF THE SENIOR ARMY COMMAND IN THE
THEATER AS THEIR SSI-FWTS.

9. SOLDIERS WHO ARE CROSS-LEVELED, ASSIGNED, ATTACHED, OR AUGMENTING DEPLOYED UNITS,
AND SOLDIERS WHO ARE TDY ON ORDERS THROUGH THE USE OF DD FORM 1610 (REQUEST AND
AUTHORIZATION FOR TDY TRAVEL OF DOD PERSONNEL) WILL WEAR THE SAME SSI-FWTS WORN BY
MEMBERS OF THEIR DEPLOYED UNIT (COMPANY OR HIGHER) TO WHICH ATTACHED OR OPCON. THIS
DOES NOT APPLY TO MEMBERS OF TRIAL DEFENSE AND CIDC, WHO WILL WEAR THE SSI OF THEIR
RESPECTIVE COMMANDS AS THEIR SSI-FWTS.
Thank you SSG for that reply.

Is there any document that you are suppost to receive though? For example when you receive an award or ribbin you receive a document as proof that you earned the award. I thought there would be something similar for the SSIFWTS.
Well I asked my Section Cheif about his SSI-FWTS and he said that he was authorized it by his DD 214. The DD 214 awarded him more than one combat patch for a single deployment. It does not make since to me after reading the AR 670-1 which makes it sould like you are only authorized on per deployment. We are in a NG unit if that helps anyone solve the puzzle.
Combat patches are slightly different with the National Guard because NG units are state-sponsored and not federal until they go on Title 10 orders. When NG units are deployed, they typically deploy as a brigade within the state; but as such they are always placed under the command of an active component division holding command of whatever base they are assigned to and carry out missions assigned to that command.

This is why you see people in the Guard who haven't spent a day in the regular Army walking around with notable active duty unit patches on their right arm. Some of them earned them on active duty with the respective units, but most simply choose to wear a more notable patch than their state NG patch.

I do have a question to add to this topic, though. Is it correct for a battalion policy letter to state that wear of combat patches is mandatory for everyone, effective actual boots on ground date? Doesn't seem right to me, but I could be wrong.
quote:
Originally posted by Caiman Bulldog:
I do have a question to add to this topic, though. Is it correct for a battalion policy letter to state that wear of combat patches is mandatory for everyone, effective actual boots on ground date? Doesn't seem right to me, but I could be wrong.

Whether it's right or not it happens a lot.

I've seen some Soldiers get 'in trouble' (just chewed out really,) because the CSM wanted everyone to wear the current unit's patch on the right, even though this Soldier had earned a different patch previously..

I've seen units have a little 'ceremony' where everyone is supposed to put the (rightside) patch on.

Me personally, I didn't wear it while downrange for quite a while. What's the point? Wear it out/ dirty it??
-ESPECIALLY while I was still in Kuwait. Gimme a break...

I put a rightside patch on to go home for R&R and wore it after that MOST of the time.
my CSM tried to pull that b/s and tell me that I can't wear the 1AD combat patch while i was in "his" unit... but if you look at MNFI policy, it states that soldiers decide which combat patch to wear if they are authorized more than one... Im pretty sick of people changing rules and standards... And then they use the excuse that you can add to and not take away...but face it...higher ups do what they want...thats why im done in 1 year!! woohoo
quote:
And then they use the excuse that you can add to and not take away...but face it...higher ups do what they want...thats why im done in 1 year!! woohoo

Congrats on choosing to advance your career in the civilian world. But don't be surprised if you see this attitude in the civilian world as well, if not more often. There are no ARs to protect you there (and yes ARs are there for YOU). You simply do what they say. If they come out with a memo that says everyone will wear pink shirts with purple pokadotted pants on Fridays guess what, you're wearing them or you don't have a job.
Just wear what you got and let those other people wear whatever they got because you know what you did. and if you want a "cool" combat patch yo can have my 3ID one cuz i got enough to share and you can also have a CAB.

If you aint yelling at a soldier you aint doing your job!!!!
quote:
Originally posted by SPC. Koehn:
We are in a NG unit if that helps anyone solve the puzzle.

I too deployed while a member of the NG(I am now active duty). Anyway, We got attached to another states BCT and while in Iraq we fell under 1st Cav and 3ID. I received a memo stating that I am authorized to wear 3 different patches. I have yet to wear the guard patch (256 BCT, ewww)and mostly wear my cav patch. Nothing against 3ID, I just like the 1st Cav patch better Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by 11BIN3ID:
my CSM tried to pull that b/s and tell me that I can't wear the 1AD combat patch while i was in "his" unit... but if you look at MNFI policy, it states that soldiers decide which combat patch to wear if they are authorized more than one... Im pretty sick of people changing rules and standards... And then they use the excuse that you can add to and not take away...but face it...higher ups do what they want...thats why im done in 1 year!! woohoo

Ya i hate that bull$hit i was using the tmp on friday to go run some errands real quick for someone on base and i didnt realize the gas was at 3/4 a tank, I got back and the SGM of our detachment asked if it was full so i went to check and reported back, then i got my ass chewed for it not being topped off and i had to go top it off, so i get back and use it monday, it turns out he goes somewhere in it on saturday and left that joker bone dry lol
quote:
Originally posted by 11BIN3ID:
Im pretty sick of people changing rules and standards... And then they use the excuse that you can add to and not take away...but face it...higher ups do what they want...thats why im done in 1 year!! woohoo

After being a civilian for the last 13 years I can bear witness to it being 110% worse on the outside. I made easily twice as much money working as a construction superentendant than I did as a spc. BUT the degree of bs youll find is far and above the worst you have seen in the Army.

There is little to no justice being a civilian and having to deal with a plethora of other peoples crap. You either eat the sandwich or wear it. At least in the Army, if you are right the wrong will be addressed.

IM happy to trade you placesBig Grin Im rejoining, you can have my spot as a civilianBig Grin
I think the whole idea is asinine. My last deployment I got awarded like 8 different Combat patches which really takes away from the whole Combat patch. I think that the only Combat Patch you should be allowed to wear is the unit you deployed with! (Actually assigned to). I supported all these units in northern Iraq last time an they came giving me the Memo that since I was OPCON I can wear there patch. I think its a bit disrespectful to the people who actually were assigned to the Unit.

haha just my 2 cents as usual!
The two units I was assigned to issued me a Statement of Service Memo, it states the dates you were assigned, overseas service stripe, etc.. and most importantly the Combat Patch.

BUT all you need is deployment or assignment orders, NCOER's, etc... which states where you did your time.

Hope that helps,
alphahec
quote:
Originally posted by frank82:
Does that message say that you have to wear your current units ssi as your ssi-fwts?

If you are authorized to wear an SSI-FWTS, or have multiple, AR 670-1 states that you can choose to wear it if you want. It also states you have the choice to choose the one you want to wear, if you have multiple SSI-FWTS.

AR 670-1, Chapter 28-17, paragraph C and D
quote:
c. How worn.

(1) Non-subdued. At the option of the wearer, individuals who were members of an Army unit during one of the operations listed above may wear the non-subdued U.S. Army organizational SSI of a wartime unit (para 28–17b) that was approved by HQDA on the right sleeve of the Army green uniform coat. The insignia is worn centered, 1⁄2 inch below the top of the right shoulder seam (see fig 28–136).

(2) Subdued. Authorized personnel may wear the subdued SSI–FWTS on the right sleeve of the temperate, hotweather, enhanced hot-weather, and desert BDU, and the BDU field jacket, as described above. The SSI–FWTS is not authorized for wear on organizational uniforms, except as prescribed in this paragraph.

(3) Other services. The Department of the Navy, the United States Marine Corps (USMC), and the Air Force do not authorize wear of SSI. Therefore, personnel who served in one of the designated areas during one of the specified periods, but who were not members of the U.S. Army, are not authorized to wear the SSI–FWTS on their right shoulder. The only exception to this policy is for U.S. Army members who served with the USMC during World War II from 15 March 1943 through 2 September 1946.

d. Soldiers who are authorized to wear more than one SSI–FWTS have the option of choosing which SSI–FWTS they will wear. Soldiers may elect not to wear SSI–FWTS. (See appendix F for further guidance on the wear of the
SSI–FWTS.)

Appendix F
quote:
F–2. General.

a. There is no time-in-theater requirement to be authorized to wear the SSI–FWTS.

b. A deployed unit that is authorized to wear an SSI in its own right (or an organic component thereof), in accordance with para 28–16, will wear that unit’s SSI as the SSI–FWTS. This is true regardless of whether the headquarters element deploys, and regardless of the number of changes to the unit’s alignment or operational control (OPCON) during the period of deployment.

c. When a unit not entitled to its own SSI deploys, the OPCON relationship prior to deployment is terminated, and a new OPCON relationship is established. Members of these units will wear the SSI of the lowest echelon deployed unit entitled to an SSI in each of their new deployed chains of command as their SSI–FWTS.

d. When there is no intermediate unit that has its own SSI in the deployed chain of command, members of units not entitled to their own SSI will wear the SSI of the senior Army command in the theater as their SSI–FWTS.

e. Soldiers who are cross-leveled, assigned, attached, or augmenting deployed units, and soldiers who are TDY on orders through the use of DD Form 1610 (Request and Authorization for TDY Travel of DOD Personnel) will wear the same SSI–FWTS worn by members of the deployed unit(s) to which attached or OPCON. This does not apply to members of Trial Defense and CIDC, who will wear the SSI of their respective commands as their SSI–FWTS.

f. Soldiers authorized to wear more than one SSI–FWTS may choose which SSI–FWTS they wear. Soldiers also may elect not to wear the SSI–FWTS.

g. Precedence was established in Vietnam for elements organic to, or an integral part of an organization to wear the organizational SSI as their SSI–FWTS.
If you're currently deployed I wouldn't fight that fight. Most the commands overseas were reasonable and only made us wear our current SSI-FWS for few days or so then everyone who had another one switched back to the one they wanted to wear.

Do I think forcing a Soldier to wear one particular patch is right?.....no.

Run by your PLT SGT to take up the NCO support channel and CoC. Sometimes it's just not worth the headache.
I have a question. I fell in on one brigade when I arrived in country and served3 about three months with them, I do have that patch but now we are under a new brigade, should I be authorized to wear that patch as well?
quote:
Originally posted by SPC Truckie:
I have a question. I fell in on one brigade when I arrived in country and served3 about three months with them, I do have that patch but now we are under a new brigade, should I be authorized to wear that patch as well?

Technically no. You are only authorized 1 SSI-FWTS per deployment. When deploying with a company size element (defined by a unit with a UIC) or larger you wear the patch of the unit your assigned to. If your unit is smaller than a company size element you would wear the patch of the next highest element in your command. If that command changes, you still wear the patch 1 patch, no others would be authorized.
That said, many units will come up with a memorandum from an O6 or higher "authorizing" them to wear another patch, and thus you have soldiers with one deployment coming back with 5 different patches. I personally am on my first deployment and already have 4 patches "authorized" but I only wear my units, and will continue to only wear my units because that is the only one I am truly authorized to wear.

I attached the ALARACT Message 055-2007 which better defines SSI-FWTS, pay particular attention to number 6.

Hope this helps.

TELECOMMUNICATIONS(uc),OU:ALARACT RELEASE AUTHORITY(UC)
SUBJECT: ALARACT 055/2007
TEXT:
UNCLASSIFIED//
THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN SENT BY THE PENTAGON TELECOMMUNICATIONS CENTER ON BEHALF OF DA WASHINGTON DC//DAPE-HRPD-IRPD//
SUBJECT: AR 670-1, 3 FEB 05, WEAR AND APPEARANCE OF ARMY UNIFORMS AND INSIGNIA
1. THIS MESSAGE SERVES AS IMPLEMENTING INSTRUCTIONS FOR CHANGES TO THE WEAR POLICY OUTLINED IN AR 670-1, APPENDIX F, SHOULDER SLEEVE INSIGNIA-FORMER WARTIME SERVICE (SSI-FWTS).
2. SINCE 1945, THE INTENT OF THE WEAR OF THE SSI-FWTS HAS BEEN TO DENOTE SOLDIERS PARTICIPATION IN COMBAT OPERATIONS, AS DIRECTED BY THE SECRETARY OF THE ARMY, WHILE SERVING WITH LARGE ECHELON DEPLOYED UNITS. BASED ON THE WAY UNITS ARE CURRENTLY DEPLOYING, THE WEAR POLICY FOR THE SSI-FWTS MUST BE REVISED TO CLEARLY CAPTURE THE WARTIME RELATIONSHIP WITH FIGHTING UNITS ON THE GROUND.
3. THIS POLICY CHANGE IS EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY AND IS NOT RETROACTIVE.
4. THIS GUIDANCE APPLIES TO SOLDIERS OF ALL COMPONENTS (ACTIVE, ARNG, AND USAR) THAT DEPLOY DURING PERIODS OF SERVICE DESIGNATED FOR WEAR OF THE SSI-FWTS, IN ACCORDANCE WITH AR 670-1, PARAGRAPH 28-17.
5. THERE IS NO TIME-IN-THEATER REQUIREMENT TO BE AUTHORIZED TO WEAR THE SSI-FWTS.
6. A DEPLOYED UNIT (COMPANY OR HIGHER) WILL WEAR THEIR UNIT S SSI AS THE SSI-FWTS. THIS IS TRUE REGARDLESS OF WHETHER THE HEADQUARTERS ELEMENT DEPLOYS, AND REGARDLESS OF THE NUMBER OF CHANGES TO THE UNIT S ALIGNMENT OR OPERATIONAL CONTROL (OPCON) DURING THE PERIOD OF DEPLOYMENT.
7. WHEN ECHELONS BELOW COMPANY LEVEL DEPLOY, MEMBERS OF THESE UNITS WILL WEAR THE SSI OF THE LOWEST ECHELON DEPLOYED UNIT (COMPANY OR HIGHER) IN THEIR NEW DEPLOYED CHAINS OF COMMAND AS THEIR SSI-FWTS.
8. WHEN THERE IS NO INTERMEDIATE UNIT (COMPANY OR HIGHER) IN THE DEPLOYED CHAIN OF COMMAND, DEPLOYED SOLDIERS WILL WEAR THE SSI OF THE SENIOR ARMY COMMAND IN THE THEATER AS THEIR SSI-FWTS.
9. SOLDIERS WHO ARE CROSS-LEVELED, ASSIGNED, ATTACHED, OR AUGMENTING DEPLOYED UNITS, AND SOLDIERS WHO ARE TDY ON ORDERS THROUGH THE USE OF DD FORM 1610 (REQUEST AND AUTHORIZATION FOR TDY TRAVEL OF DOD PERSONNEL) WILL WEAR THE SAME SSI-FWTS WORN BY MEMBERS OF THEIR DEPLOYED UNIT (COMPANY OR HIGHER) TO WHICH ATTACHED OR OPCON. THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO MEMBERS OF TRIAL DEFENSE AND CIDC, WHO WILL WEAR THE SSI OF THEIR RESPECTIVE COMMANDS AS THEIR SSI-FWTS.
10. SOLDIERS AUTHORIZED TO WEAR MORE THAN ONE SSI-FWTS MAY CHOOSE WHICH SSI-FWTS THEY WEAR. SOLDIERS MAY ALSO ELECT NOT TO WEAR THE SSI-FWTS.
11. PRECEDENCE WAS ESTABLISHED IN VIETNAM FOR ELEMENTS ORGANIC TO, OR AN INTEGRAL PART OF AN ORGANIZATION TO WEAR THE ORGANIZATIONAL SSI AS THEIR SSI-FWTS.
12. SOLDIERS ATTACHED OR OPCON TO OTHER SERVICES ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO WEAR OTHER SERVICES PATCHES AS THEIR SSI-FWTS WITHOUT WRITTEN APPROVAL FROM THE DCS, ARMY G-1 OR A DELEGATED REPRESENTATIVE.
13. POC FOR UNIFORM POLICY IS SGM K. EASLEY, DSN 225-5287; COMM. (703) 695-5287. E-MAIL IS KATRINA.EASLEY@HQDA.ARMY.MIL.
14. THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE DCS, G-1.
15. THIS AUTHORITY IS EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY.
16. EXPIRATION. THIS MESSAGE WILL EXPIRE UPON NEXT PUBLICATION OF AR 670-1.
17. EXPIRATION DATE CANNOT BE DETERMINED.
===============================================================
I am in an odd situation. I got cross leveled from an Army Reserve INF BN to an Army Reserve MI BN (i got actual orders releasing me from the INF BN and assigning me to the 203MI BN DETACHMENT 25) special detachment. We deployed as a detachment of the MI BN but were assigned to TF Troy Main (at the time being commanded by the 167th EOD {Alabama National Guard} based out of Baghdad. The AO was operated by 18th ABN Corps who were the Division in the AO. We were split into 3 LNOs: North, Central and South. I was part of the north LNO. The North being so big had it's own Task Force Troy North (commanded by the 242nd EOD BN part of the 71st Ordnance Group who fell under 20th Support Command at the time (they didnt have their own patch as opposed to the 52nd Ordanance Group). From there I was tasked out as direct support to 2 different EOD companies 38th EOD Co.(part of the 52nd Ordnance Group) and 47th EOD Co.(part of the 71st Ordnance Group)Being an EOD TF who supported all the units in the AO, TF Troy also fell under Division in the north AO for my time deployed where 3rd ID and 1st Cav.

I had always worn the 20th Support Command Group patch as it was awarded to our LNO by the 242nd EOD CO, LTC Dean Meinert (we have a certificate similar to the Order of the Spur) until a couple months after the deployment ended the 71st EOD group was finally awarded it's own patch and no longer uses the 20th Support Command patch, so i transitioned to wear the 71st EOD patch. I am in a new unit and they are requesting a memo or orders saying I can wear the patch.

If i am not allowed to wear that patch, which unit's patch would I be allowed to wear?
quote:
Originally posted by TheWiseChief:
Where are your deployment orders? They should be in your iPerms. If not; get them uploaded via your current S1 shop.

Also, call up those unit's S1 (there are full-timers) and attempt to get the proper memorandums for your SSI patch.

Al my orders say is:
"Report to: 0203 MI BN DET 25 (WNCQSA), UNIT ADDRESS"
"Report to: Mobilized Unit In-Processioning Center (MUIC), UNIT ADDRESS"
"Period of active duty: 400 days"
"Purpose: Mobilization for Iraqi Freedom (Iraq) (2003 - TBD)

But like Achievement #1 of my orders for my ARCOM say:

"SPC Acosta actes as a Weapons Intelligence Team (WIT) Two Team Member for Joint Task Force Troy-North in direct support of United States Division-North, 3ID, Task Force Marne, and United State Forces-Iraq. He conducted 90 C-IED missions as a member of a four person team. Specialist Acosta maintained a high level of readiness in support of two Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) companies conducting combat missions in the Ninewa Province, Iraq.

Those two EOD companies are the 38th EOD Co. and the 47th EOD Co. The people from the 203d MI are just giving me the run around. If they weren't your parent unit they just didn't care about you they only did the minimum.
You should be wearing the patch of the 203 MI BN

http://www.army.mil/article/56...s_Training_Exercise/

A picture of the patch is in the above link. Click the third photo where the female Soldier is in and the last 5th photo too.

I know in 2003 combat patch rules were lax and differed before the ALARACT came out. My buddies that I served with the 101st that deployed to Iraq in 2003 were able to wear the 18th Airborne patch as well.

Then when I deployed with the 101st in 2005-2006 to Iraq and the ALARACT came out, Soldiers of the 101st could only wear the 101st patch.

I have deployed two times after that with a Command and with a Brigade, the last being with the 4ID, so I have their SSI too.

When I was in Afghanistan, I supported a bunch of units that were non-organic outside of my BN, which were SF, National Guard and Reserve units but the patch that I am allowed to wear that is on my orders (plus I received a memorandum from my S1 too) is that of 4ID.

From what you wrote, you should be wearing the MI (not 3ID, Group, or any EOD) patch as your SSI and line 6 in red in the above post clearly shows that. Your transfer orders show that. Also, you had to be on the 203 manifest when you went downrange and was on their roster.

Is this the 20th Support Command patch?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2...pport_Command_(CBRNE)
quote:
You should be wearing the patch of the 203 MI BN

http://www.army.mil/article/56...s_Training_Exercise/

A picture of the patch is in the above link. Click the third photo where the female Soldier is in and the last 5th photo too.

I know in 2003 combat patch rules were lax and differed before the ALARACT came out. My buddies that I served with the 101st that deployed to Iraq in 2003 were able to wear the 18th Airborne patch as well.

Then when I deployed with the 101st in 2005-2006 to Iraq and the ALARACT came out, Soldiers of the 101st could only wear the 101st patch.

I have deployed two times after that with a Command and with a Brigade, the last being with the 4ID, so I have their SSI too.

When I was in Afghanistan, I supported a bunch of units that were non-organic outside of my BN, which were SF, National Guard and Reserve units but the patch that I am allowed to wear that is on my orders (plus I received a memorandum from my S1 too) is that of 4ID.

From what you wrote, you should be wearing the MI (not 3ID, Group, or any EOD) patch as your SSI and line 6 in red in the above post clearly shows that. Your transfer orders show that. Also, you had to be on the 203 manifest when you went downrange and was on their roster.

Is this the 20th Support Command patch?

The link said invalid, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2...pport_Command_(CBRNE) this is the 20th Support Command. I just received an email from the DET CO who was a MAJ(now LTC) saying the following.

"SPC Acosta,

Your WIT Team was assigned to Weapons Intelligence Company, TF Troy (no Patch), then Attached to a EOD BN in sector. Likely they'd have the MFR your looking for maybe LT (now CPT)Horbaly, and/or SFC Smith have the MFR your looking for. I can help you with a MFR, but not for those SSI. The MFR I signed authorized for the Weapons Intelligence Teams was for: MNC-I, III Corps, 18th ABN Corps, and INSCOM (not MIRC). I am TDY at present so it will be a little bit before I can send you that MFR."

He stayed in TF Troy Central which fell under 18th ABN Corps AO. While LT Horbaly and SFC Smith were the OIC and NCOIC of the LNO North falling under TF Troy N (242nd EOD).. The reason he says "TF Troy (no Patch" its because some Navy MU EOD unit was in command for the 1st half of the deployment and then the 167th EOD replaced the MU)Same thing with TF Troy North was 1st under Navy EOD MU2 command and then under the 242ND
For some reason, the paste cuts off the last )

Here is the link to the actual patch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:20THSSI.jpg

When you try to open it up again, add the close parenthesis at the end of the URL and the page will open properly.

Well, at least someone is trying to help you get the memorandum for record and I will try to reach out to that CPT and SFC (if they are still serving) and see what they say.

She mentioned the 18th ABN Corps like I did in my last post and this is that patch. Again add the ) if you see it missing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X...Corps_(United_States))

Link to actual patch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:18_ABC_SSI.svg

edit: I fixed the links
The CPT emailed me bck saying she was never authorized to write an MFR for any SSI. She wears the 20th Support Command because the that certificate (similar to the Order fo the Spur) we was given by the 242nd EOD LTC.

The EOD LTC (now Col) emailed me back with his office number and told me to give him a call, after a few minutes talking he said he was going to find the MFR he wrote and send it to me.

As for the SFC never could get a hold of her.. I dnt think the SFC and CPT are part of the 203rd.. 90% of the detachment where cross leveled soldiers from other units
quote:
Where are your deployment orders? They should be in your iPerms. If not; get them uploaded via your current S1 shop.

Also, call up those unit's S1 (there are full-timers) and attempt to get the proper memorandums for your SSI patch.

how did you get that sig? i tried going on the website but i cannot find a sign up or register button
quote:
Originally posted by WIT:
quote:

how did you get that sig? i tried going on the website but i cannot find a sign up or register button

The owner was not making any money on it, so he ceased new memberships.

Add Reply

Likes (0)