Originally posted by SPC Truckie:
I have a question. I fell in on one brigade when I arrived in country and served3 about three months with them, I do have that patch but now we are under a new brigade, should I be authorized to wear that patch as well?
Technically no. You are only authorized 1 SSI-FWTS per deployment. When deploying with a company size element (defined by a unit with a UIC) or larger you wear the patch of the unit your assigned to. If your unit is smaller than a company size element you would wear the patch of the next highest element in your command. If that command changes, you still wear the patch 1 patch, no others would be authorized.
That said, many units will come up with a memorandum from an O6 or higher "authorizing" them to wear another patch, and thus you have soldiers with one deployment coming back with 5 different patches. I personally am on my first deployment and already have 4 patches "authorized" but I only wear my units, and will continue to only wear my units because that is the only one I am truly authorized to wear.
I attached the ALARACT Message 055-2007 which better defines SSI-FWTS, pay particular attention to number 6.
Hope this helps.
TELECOMMUNICATIONS(uc),OU:ALARACT RELEASE AUTHORITY(UC)
SUBJECT: ALARACT 055/2007
THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN SENT BY THE PENTAGON TELECOMMUNICATIONS CENTER ON BEHALF OF DA WASHINGTON DC//DAPE-HRPD-IRPD//
SUBJECT: AR 670-1, 3 FEB 05, WEAR AND APPEARANCE OF ARMY UNIFORMS AND INSIGNIA
1. THIS MESSAGE SERVES AS IMPLEMENTING INSTRUCTIONS FOR CHANGES TO THE WEAR POLICY OUTLINED IN AR 670-1, APPENDIX F, SHOULDER SLEEVE INSIGNIA-FORMER WARTIME SERVICE (SSI-FWTS).
2. SINCE 1945, THE INTENT OF THE WEAR OF THE SSI-FWTS HAS BEEN TO DENOTE SOLDIERS PARTICIPATION IN COMBAT OPERATIONS, AS DIRECTED BY THE SECRETARY OF THE ARMY, WHILE SERVING WITH LARGE ECHELON DEPLOYED UNITS. BASED ON THE WAY UNITS ARE CURRENTLY DEPLOYING, THE WEAR POLICY FOR THE SSI-FWTS MUST BE REVISED TO CLEARLY CAPTURE THE WARTIME RELATIONSHIP WITH FIGHTING UNITS ON THE GROUND.
3. THIS POLICY CHANGE IS EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY AND IS NOT RETROACTIVE.
4. THIS GUIDANCE APPLIES TO SOLDIERS OF ALL COMPONENTS (ACTIVE, ARNG, AND USAR) THAT DEPLOY DURING PERIODS OF SERVICE DESIGNATED FOR WEAR OF THE SSI-FWTS, IN ACCORDANCE WITH AR 670-1, PARAGRAPH 28-17.
5. THERE IS NO TIME-IN-THEATER REQUIREMENT TO BE AUTHORIZED TO WEAR THE SSI-FWTS.6. A DEPLOYED UNIT (COMPANY OR HIGHER) WILL WEAR THEIR UNIT S SSI AS THE SSI-FWTS. THIS IS TRUE REGARDLESS OF WHETHER THE HEADQUARTERS ELEMENT DEPLOYS, AND REGARDLESS OF THE NUMBER OF CHANGES TO THE UNIT S ALIGNMENT OR OPERATIONAL CONTROL (OPCON) DURING THE PERIOD OF DEPLOYMENT.
7. WHEN ECHELONS BELOW COMPANY LEVEL DEPLOY, MEMBERS OF THESE UNITS WILL WEAR THE SSI OF THE LOWEST ECHELON DEPLOYED UNIT (COMPANY OR HIGHER) IN THEIR NEW DEPLOYED CHAINS OF COMMAND AS THEIR SSI-FWTS.
8. WHEN THERE IS NO INTERMEDIATE UNIT (COMPANY OR HIGHER) IN THE DEPLOYED CHAIN OF COMMAND, DEPLOYED SOLDIERS WILL WEAR THE SSI OF THE SENIOR ARMY COMMAND IN THE THEATER AS THEIR SSI-FWTS.
9. SOLDIERS WHO ARE CROSS-LEVELED, ASSIGNED, ATTACHED, OR AUGMENTING DEPLOYED UNITS, AND SOLDIERS WHO ARE TDY ON ORDERS THROUGH THE USE OF DD FORM 1610 (REQUEST AND AUTHORIZATION FOR TDY TRAVEL OF DOD PERSONNEL) WILL WEAR THE SAME SSI-FWTS WORN BY MEMBERS OF THEIR DEPLOYED UNIT (COMPANY OR HIGHER) TO WHICH ATTACHED OR OPCON. THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO MEMBERS OF TRIAL DEFENSE AND CIDC, WHO WILL WEAR THE SSI OF THEIR RESPECTIVE COMMANDS AS THEIR SSI-FWTS.
10. SOLDIERS AUTHORIZED TO WEAR MORE THAN ONE SSI-FWTS MAY CHOOSE WHICH SSI-FWTS THEY WEAR. SOLDIERS MAY ALSO ELECT NOT TO WEAR THE SSI-FWTS.
11. PRECEDENCE WAS ESTABLISHED IN VIETNAM FOR ELEMENTS ORGANIC TO, OR AN INTEGRAL PART OF AN ORGANIZATION TO WEAR THE ORGANIZATIONAL SSI AS THEIR SSI-FWTS.
12. SOLDIERS ATTACHED OR OPCON TO OTHER SERVICES ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO WEAR OTHER SERVICES PATCHES AS THEIR SSI-FWTS WITHOUT WRITTEN APPROVAL FROM THE DCS, ARMY G-1 OR A DELEGATED REPRESENTATIVE.
13. POC FOR UNIFORM POLICY IS SGM K. EASLEY, DSN 225-5287; COMM. (703) 695-5287. E-MAIL IS KATRINA.EASLEY@HQDA.ARMY.MIL.
14. THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE DCS, G-1.
15. THIS AUTHORITY IS EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY.
16. EXPIRATION. THIS MESSAGE WILL EXPIRE UPON NEXT PUBLICATION OF AR 670-1.
17. EXPIRATION DATE CANNOT BE DETERMINED.