How to address a WOC

I understand this status is short term, but for reserves according to AR670-1, board selectees are required to wear the WOC rank patch until appointed WO1. My question is, How are the candidates addressed? In the reserves, the 'dots' are called cadets. I am just curious as well because I was asked too.

Also I was selected on this past board!
Original Post
quote:
Originally posted by up&coming:
I know WOC is candidate, I was referring to the cadets in the reserves. Their insignia is a dot like I said before. I was just wondering because my current platoon sergeant asked me and I had no idea.

Your thread is titled How to address a WOC so that is why I gave the answer that I did.

Are you referring to the CADET ranks that are in the National Guard SMP program as well?

Anyway, when I was looking at officer options back in the day and asked about the differences, a CADET was someone who had not yet attained a degree and was going through a military program while attending college. A CANDIDATE was someone who already graduated college and was going through an officer producing program (remember officer and a gentleman?). Now today, you will see contradictions to that because a Soldier can have a bachelors degree and then go for a master's while in the green to gold ROTC program. Also, there are many WO candidates who do not have a degree but the bottom line is that they are already members of the military. Also, Soldiers in the Guard could attend traditional OCS with just have 60 to 90 college credits. BTW, those rules have recently changed due to the force reduction.

http://www.militarynames.com/acucadetranks.aspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Officer_cadet

Yes, they are addressed as Cadet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W...ficer_(United_States)

In the United States Armed Forces, the rank of warrant officer (grade W-1 to CW-5) (NATO: WO1-WO5) is rated as an officer above the senior-most enlisted ranks, as well as officer cadets, midshipmen and candidates, but below the officer grade of O-1 (NATO: OF-1). Warrant officers are highly skilled, single-track specialty officers, and while the ranks are authorized by Congress, each branch of the uniformed services selects, manages, and utilizes warrant officers in slightly different ways. For appointment to warrant officer one (W-1), a warrant is approved by the secretary of the respective service. For chief warrant officer ranks (W-2 to W-5), warrant officers are commissioned by the President of the United States and take the same oath as regular commissioned officers (O-1 to O-10).

http://jobs.nationalguard.com/...molly-davis_crop.jpg

BTW, WO1s are usually referred to as SPOT (not dot) by their ACE in WOBC. If your ACE starts addressing you as SPOT; then you pissing him off. Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by TheWiseChief:
WOC=Warrant Officer CANDIDATE; not CADET.

Personally, I will keep my NCO rank until I get to school. I did.

I dont know if we had a choice in the National Guard to keep our rank, But I was a WOC from April to August. So I had some drill weekends where I was working. I was called WOC, or stirfry(lol)or SSG . A candidate I went thru WOCS with said he deployed as a WOC even tho that isnt allowed, he wanted to retain his e7 rank but wouldn't let him. I do not know how this happened since as a WOC you are not fully qualified.
quote:
Originally posted by WilNel:
quote:
Originally posted by TheWiseChief:
WOC=Warrant Officer CANDIDATE; not CADET.

Personally, I will keep my NCO rank until I get to school. I did.

I dont know if we had a choice in the National Guard to keep our rank, But I was a WOC from April to August. So I had some drill weekends where I was working. I was called WOC, or stirfry(lol)or SSG . A candidate I went thru WOCS with said he deployed as a WOC even tho that isnt allowed, he wanted to retain his e7 rank but wouldn't let him. I do not know how this happened since as a WOC you are not fully qualified.

I have seen former enlisted wear their OCS rank in a deployed environment before they left to OCS and by reg, it is acceptable to do. I just have a different mindset and like to keep things in perspective, so I am focused on the big prize. Wink

Add Reply

Likes (0)