How to apply to IRR at end of 6 year commitment?

Rather self-explanatory. I am done with my 6 years of my 6x2 contract in March 2015 and recently heard through the grapevine that my transfer into the IRR is not automatic. What, therefore, must I do on my end? Any further reading references to .mil websites would be much appreciated. I searched around the HRC website to no avail.

Thank you.
Original Post
Thanks for your response. My ERB lists my ETS as 20170305, which is the end of my 8 years. However, my contract has me going into the IRR after 6 years, so I'd imagine that would be 20150305 -- however, I do not see that anywhere explicitly stated on my ERB.

A fellow E5 is the one who said I would need to request a transfer into the IRR manually.
Well, when I was first placed into the IRR, I did not have to request transfer. You still did not tell me what component you were in. Because I was in the Guard and knew of Soldiers placed into the IRR without any action required of them and many on AD that did the same. Simply go to your S1 and inquire.
quote:
Originally posted by TheWiseChief:
Well, when I was first placed into the IRR, I did not have to request transfer. You still did not tell me what component you were in. Because I was in the Guard and knew of Soldiers placed into the IRR without any action required of them and many on AD that did the same. Simply go to your S1 and inquire.

Please accept my apologies for skimming over your question as to my component. I am in the Army Reserves on a 6x2 contract.

I wish it was as simple as going to my S1 and inquiring. I am in a Legal Operations unit ran by all 27D series MOS, including our UA. We're pretty knowledgeable about legal matters, but not so much about S1 issues, so most questions to my UA do not get a satisfactory answer (or, usually, don't even get a response at all). We drill as a 3 person team 3 hours away from our headquarters, as well, so unfortunately I cannot just walk into my UA's office to ask him in person.
alluringrabbit,

You should have already been contacted by your area career counselor or retention NCO since you are within 1 year of your ETS. They are AGR so it's not a Reserve/drill issue. They will assist.

Contact your UA via email and phone to request IRR in 2015 regardless of whether or not you contact the retention NCO. It is a fairly easy process for your unit to perform.
Well, my official ETS date is not until 2017. However, my required Active Reserve status ends in 2015. Perhaps that may be the confusion?

I also received a private message from a career counselor stating that it is not an automatic process and I could contact him for help.

Thanks to this community for being so helpful.
If your 6 year ETS is 2015, about 6 months prior to that, inform your unit that you wish to transfer to the IRR and they should give you a checklist of all the paperwork you will need, an exit counseling from your unit Career Counselor and an exit counseling from your Commander, I know that some higher up units require a written statement from the Soldier but it will say on your checklist. If you don't know who your Career Counselor is, if you send me your UIC I can look him up and send you his info.
quote:
Originally posted by brianbaird:
If your 6 year ETS is 2015, about 6 months prior to that, inform your unit that you wish to transfer to the IRR and they should give you a checklist of all the paperwork you will need, an exit counseling from your unit Career Counselor and an exit counseling from your Commander, I know that some higher up units require a written statement from the Soldier but it will say on your checklist. If you don't know who your Career Counselor is, if you send me your UIC I can look him up and send you his info.

Thanks for all your help. Messaging you via PM.

Add Reply

Likes (0)