If AIT is Longer Than 20 Weeks, Do We Still Get BAH?

My husband is currently heading to Phase 2 of his AIT which is 29 weeks long. I will be staying home until he has fully completed all of his training. I will not be moving to AIT with him; although, I would be able to if I wanted. My question is, since his AIT is longer than 20 weeks, will we still be able to receive BAH pay since I am choosing to not move with him?
Thanks for any help!
Original Post
I collected BAH while stationed at my AIT and my wife stayed in California. If I can remember correctly you would have to show proof that you're employed full time, and or going to school full time. Now this information could be outdated being that I in processed back in August. I would give finance a call at his unit.
Thanks for the reply. Was your AIT longer than 20 weeks? My husband has finished Phase 1 of his AIT and is heading on to Phase 2 at a different base. Phase 2 is 29 weeks and I do have a full time job. It would be very silly for me to follow him to AIT only to move againw hen he is finsihed there, which is why I am wondering about the BAH.
Again, thank you for the reply! He found out today that we will still get BAH, but will lose separation pay. The person he talked to in finance said he wasn't sure about where he would be living though. Since he is married will they make him live off base? Are you allowed to live in the barracks if you're married and your family doesn't move with you? Thanks again for all your help Smiler
In AIT he will live in the barracks and collect BAH for your zip code, if he goes to his duty station and you do NOT move, he will collect BAH for HIS duty station and will NOT be allowed to live in the barracks....I dont know why he is not getting family separation pay, its not like its automatic that you can move with him if his AIT is longer than 20 weeks, he would still have to get authorization from his commander and get orders stating so...
quote:
Originally posted by TransAm95NCO:
I dont know why he is not getting family separation pay, its not like its automatic that you can move with him if his AIT is longer than 20 weeks, he would still have to get authorization from his commander and get orders stating so...

Finance told him he will not be getting separation pay because his orders say it is an accompanied move meaning his spouse would be able to join him. He seems to think because it is EOD training, it's a bit different. His orders say it is a PCS move. I'll tell him to look into it more. He should get to Eglin today.

Thanks for all the help!
I was in EOD school, and the Eglin phase is a PCS move. My family came, but several of my friends ran into your problem. The Army wouldn't put them up without taking their BAH. Four of them just got a house together to keep the rent and bills low, and toughed it out.

Add Reply

Likes (0)