k

quote:
Originally posted by MrsEvans13:
My questions are:

1. How and when does he actually let the Army know/apply for accompanied orders to AIT?
2. I know he has to pass an APFT before living off base, about how long in is that usually?
3. We are your opinions on Army moving us versus doing it ourselves and getting paid for the move? (We are from Canton, Ohio and Goodfellow AFB is about 1,400 miles away).
4. Do you recommend living in on-base or off-base housing? I am not sure that we would even get on-base housing since it is only a 7 month period of time and we are Army on an Air Force base. I've read both pros and cons of each type of housing.

Thanks for any help you can give us. We are new to the Army life and looking for as much information as we can get from experienced soldiers and their families. I know not everything is set in stone and the same from soldier to soldier. (Please no negative comments about living at his AIT location, we already know we may not spend much time together.)

Megan Smiler

He should had received his orders by now. His orders will state what he can and cannot do. Schools at about 6 months or more are considered a PCS and you can bring family. When I went to my Warrant Officer Basic Course; it was for 6 months and I was able to bring my family. I lived on-post since it was convenient and it was short-term.

Passing the PT has no burden on living off-post. Perhaps for school; if he is not in compliance, he might be told to live in the barracks but I do not think that is the case. Again, read and understand those orders.

I do not recommend a DITY move because when the Army does it; they are responsible for damages. Many like the DITY for the extra cash but I prefer to let the pros handle it.

For schools, I recommend on-post and when you get to your permanent duty station, get a house to buy if you can afford one. It brings a lot of advantages.

Good luck.

Add Reply

Likes (0)