Life of a 15T

Ok first off let me stop a few miswordings. There are only crew chiefs on Blackhawks door gunners are only allowed when deployed and even then are usually not used. As a 15T it depends on what level of maintenance unit you wind up in. If you go to a maintenance battalion you will be getting off every day at 5 and chilling for the most part. In a flight Battalion flights or in D Co expect the long hours and shitty work the only time you see crew chiefs getting hooked up is the units with crappy chains of command that believe in the "fliers club" which is something the army is getting away from so honestly the guys who fly or are attached to flying get the crappy long hours but you get advantages. Like I am in a flight company right now in Korea my Showtime for work was 1300 for a flight which got canceled so I got to go home at 1845 with rest of unit and won’t have to be back in till 1300 tomorrow. At same time in Iraq I have gone in at 1800 and not gotten to go home till 1020 the next morning so it all depends but flight units tend to be more about making mission so expect long hours. You will always see maintenance guys talking shit on people in flight companies because they want to be doing the job we have cause honestly who become a 15t and says from the get go they don’t want to fly. Maybe 1 in 30 rest got stuck in maintenance gave up trying and became shitbags because they didn’t get noticed. 15T2F <means I am a SGT in a flight company and have been in aviation for 5 years now so I have heard it from both sides many times
I agree with Jeff.Williams7. I am in a flight company at Fort Campbell now. I have spent 2 years in a maintenance battalion and I was going to PT at 0630 and then not getting off work until 1700(5 days a week). I even had to work a few weekends. Now that I am in a flight company in a different battalion somedays I go to PT at 0700 and get off work about 1500. Some days I do have to stay later because of NCO stuff or if aircraft are broke. On days of night flights I show at 1400 and usually get home about midnight. Unless my flight gets canceled and I could be home at 1700-1900. People always say "I want your job" or "Your job is so cool", but they dont see everything. They see us flying around. When we are deployed we will log between 6 and 8 flight hours. After flight is complete we will have to stay later if the aircraft is broke. There have been days that have been 14-17 hour days. If you are in a flight company you are a Crewcheif and a Mechanic. So you are doing more work in a flight company but it is rewarding.
Being that you guys aren't actually required as per your operator's manual I doubt you'll get Mother Rucker. They can stick another W01gy Bear back there or an additional trainer.
You have all kinds of choices of duty station for blackhawks, though. Use your ASK on AKO. If you don't know what that is yet, then ask your drill sergeants at AIT...Or whoever is in charge of you at AIT these days.
I'm not too clear on exactly how you guys get chosen for Flight, but if it's anything like us you'll go to a maintenance unit first. Work hard and prove that you'll be an asset and I'm sure you can get noticed.
Just hope and pray you don't get Fort Drum! Im a 15U here and you tango's have the truly suck job here. The NCO's think they are infantry and have retarded formations ALL THE TIME. Of course, this the VIM I'm talking about. You might get lucky and hit the VUM, but either way, in my 18 yrs of mixed civilian and military aviation career - the tango's get messed with way too much for my liking.

Add Reply

Likes (0)