Medical Surgery

Can a Company Commander (1LT) with no medical background, or a 1SG (Mechanic) in the Reserve order a Soldier to attend an Annual Training and order them to change a surgery date even though the medical physician determined the Soldier cannot be in an austere environment and scheduled the date? The surgery is to repair a hernia...

I looked in Army Command Policy and it touches very little on medical, not sure what regulations to look in... any help appreciated. Thank you!
Original Post
I can tell you that on the Active Duty side of the house I have only seen a CO attempt to "order" a Soldier to change their surgery date once. Twenty minutes after the Soldier went into medical to change his surgery date, the CO was standing in front of the MEDDAC General explaining why he was forcing the Soldier to change his surgery date. Needless to say, it just doesn't happen because it's not worth the battle a CO has to go through. I would imagine in the reserves that you can simply tell them to piss off, get your surgery and if they try to do anything about it, take the issue to IG if you can't handle it in house. Just my two cents. Just make sure you really need the surgery and aren't just being a puss who doesn't want to go to the field.
Good morning, with what's been said what regulatory guidance is there? Casper I applaud your story-halarious. Chief what I've always been told is to never question a Soldier's physical health or ability to perform, if a physician says they're a no-go then that's the way it is.

Add Reply

Likes (0)