Need some info. about medical discharges?

Hello, I was wanting to know, if my husband were medically discharged, would he still get his GI-bill benefits? I'm not sure if you will need some background info on him, so Ill provide what I can. He has been in the army for almost two years, and has two more to go. He recently got an article 15 and is now an E2. In the past 6-8 months I have noticed signs of what I thought were depression. However, after this past week and doing some more research I am 99.9% positive it is not depression, he is bipolar. He went AWOW last week for 5 days, He was in his deep state of depression when he received the article 15. I think that trigger the severe depression that comes with bipolar disorder and thats why he stopped caring about life and what would happen to him if he stopped going to work. Anyways, he is supposed to talk to the chaplain this week and they will set up an appointment for a medical evaluation. If he is diagnosed as bipolar, then from what I have been told he will end up getting a medical discharge because he is unstable to go to Iraq. If this is true and he does get the medical discharge, will he still be able to go to college with the GI bill? Or will he lose all benefits? Thanks a bunch, Concerned Wife
Original Post
http://www.gibill.va.gov/pamphlets/CH30/CH30_Pamphlet_General.htm

Based on your information, I'd say it is unlikely he will retain his GI Bill.

Chapter 30 (active duty) MGIB requires typically 3 years of service, and an honorable discharge. The type of discharge I'm not certain about, but if the discharge process starts any time soon, he would likely be out before the 3 year mark.

It is quite possible with his disciplinary issues that the discharge will not be honorable.

Add Reply

Likes (0)