new

Congrats- Basic training will be harder and more boring and easier than you can imagine.

Do what NCOs tell you, don't get upset at your battle buddies (many of them are Tards), and don't be afraid to speak up (respectfully) if you need to. Follow orders and life will be a breeze. Not. But it will be a lot easier than if you don't!

Also, do a little bit of running/ exercise every week to get ready. Read some health magazines and talk to your doctor about how to exercise SAFELY though! You DON'T want to burn out or injure yourself before you even get to basic training. Even if you walk a mile or two a couple times per week you'll be better off than the couch potatoes.
quote:
Originally posted by AutobahnSHO:
Also, do a little bit of running/ exercise every week to get ready. Read some health magazines and talk to your doctor about how to exercise SAFELY though! You DON'T want to burn out or injure yourself before you even get to basic training. Even if you walk a mile or two a couple times per week you'll be better off than the couch potatoes.

philfau, this advice from Autobahn is right. Walking everyday will make you better off than a lot of couch potatoes. I didn't do anything before basic training and I was sucking at PT everyday. If I could go back and change anything, I would have made myself less lazy once I decided to join.
I'd like to add that you try to be prepared mentally. Just realize that its a little over 2 months long and its not too hard. Looking back on when I was in Basic I thought it was hard until I could reflect on it and realized it was actually pretty fun.
I am 20 hopeing to go to basic soon. My recruiter stated for me to practice push up's. when running i get winded easy any advice would rideing a bike help in any excersis training. iRead there is no excersis equipement in basic. i would love to start training physically and mentally how should i start other than what my recruiter told me.
You can ride a bike to pick up some cardio but ultimately you should be running or jogging. It will help you get in better shape than biking and it will get your body use to the physical demands of basic without jumping right into it. Do push ups and sit ups/crunches and just realize that you have to follow orders when you get there. Don't give the drill sergeants lip!

Best of luck!
For you guys trying to get in shape I would reccomend the couch to 5k program. You can find it free if you google for it. It is designed for someone who has never ran and gets them into shape for a 5k in 9 weeks. It will give you a good injury free(if you follow the program as written) base to build on when you come in the Army. Also google one hundred push-ups and two hundred situps and follow the programs on those sites. They are what I use for my APFT preps and always max push-ups and sit-ups.
quote:
Originally posted by nremtp:
For you guys trying to get in shape I would reccomend the couch to 5k program. You can find it free if you google for it. It is designed for someone who has never ran and gets them into shape for a 5k in 9 weeks. It will give you a good injury free(if you follow the program as written) base to build on when you come in the Army. Also google one hundred push-ups and two hundred situps and follow the programs on those sites. They are what I use for my APFT preps and always max push-ups and sit-ups.

Sounds like too much work... Big Grin
(my highest score is 282= max run and situps)

Add Reply

Likes (0)