Non-citizen Army National Guard MOS?

Hi everyone!
I'm new to this community but I have been reading a LOT about joining the national guard.

Soo... I am meeting a recruiter this following week, and there are some MOS I have my mind on, already, however, I don't want to ignore some MOS I may have missed.
Since there are hundreds of MOS, if anyone knows of a way I can find out what MOS I can have (since I am only a permanent resident), that would be great!

Also, I'm interested in knowing what the top MOS in Maine are.

Some things about me:
I'm a First Year Computer Science major and I know 4 foreign languages (currently learning Japanese and Russian, in addition to those (English, Portuguese, Spanish and French).
Oh right. I'm a girl.

Might change my major to Engineering or Foreign languages...

Another question.
I don't know whether or not this kind of thing is fixed every year, or if there's a way to find out, but when does boot camp start for the Summer? I'd really like to start boot camp this Summer but I fear it's too late. If that is so, can I still enlist and attend boot camp later? (DEP?)
Arg, I wish I could start right now!! I've wanted to join the army since I was a kid! Now I am 18 years old and can finally do it.

Oooh.. I have suuuuch a long list of questions for my recruiter, but I want to get every one's experience into account.

Any comments you may have will be extremely appreciated! Thank you!

~ ルイーサ。
Original Post
quote:
Originally posted by ルイーサ:
Another question.
I don't know whether or not this kind of thing is fixed every year, or if there's a way to find out, but when does boot camp start for the Summer? I'd really like to start boot camp this Summer but I fear it's too late. If that is so, can I still enlist and attend boot camp later? (DEP?)
Arg, I wish I could start right now!! I've wanted to join the army since I was a kid! Now I am 18 years old and can finally do it.

~ ルイーサ。

Hey, I'm a girl too. Wink

I'm 17 and swore into the Army April 7th, 2006. I leave for Ft.Jackson SC July 31. I'm a DEP "soldier" till then. If you want to go DEP, you have to provide a letter of some sort saying your still in school or something that won't allow you to leave till whatever time.

You can leave any time during the year for BCT (Basic Combat Training). Smiler Never too late to join.

I'm not sure about the NG...But if you find an MOS that you like, it's based on how many slots are open in that field. No matter where your from, as long as one of thoes slots is open you can get the MOS (depending on your GT and linescores from the ASVAB).

Just a few things i know
Hey, thank you for your reply!

quote:
Originally posted by Aviation101:

I'm 17 and swore into the Army April 7th, 2006. I leave for Ft.Jackson SC July 31. I'm a DEP "soldier" till then. If you want to go DEP, you have to provide a letter of some sort saying your still in school or something that won't allow you to leave till whatever time.

The only reason I wanted to be in the DEP is because I thought it was too late for me to go to BCT this Summer, but if I can still do it, I would love to do so!

quote:
You can leave any time during the year for BCT (Basic Combat Training). Smiler Never too late to join.

Arg, I hope I can still make it to the Summer BCT...

quote:
Just a few things i know

You seem to know a lot for your age. Keep it up!
quote:
Um...I didn't think I was that much younger then you. My age?? I'm not understanding that. I turn 18 shortly. Try wording what you say, a bit better please next time.

I know you're just a year younger than me, but most American teenagers (atleast those that I have met) that are your/our age have no clue what they are doing, or what is expected from them.

So you are like a light, for me, that is, the way you are makes me think "Wow, there are some American 'kids' who have a brain!".

I meant to say exactly what you thought I was saying Wink I will not re-word that line.
Huh...Okay, I understand now. Just kind of put me off there when I read it. Sadly but true enough, most teens in my age group are well...Pathetic. I guess it's just a mature matter though. I grew up in a big family, so there was no such thing as "lazy" or "selfish" going on.

Sorry for the misunderstanding!
quote:
Some things about me:
I'm a First Year Computer Science major and I know 4 foreign languages (currently learning Japanese and Russian, in addition to those (English, Portuguese, Spanish and French).
Oh right. I'm a girl.

~ ルイーサ。

Squares,

If you know 4 languages well I'd recommend you go in as a linguist for the active Army.

R.B.
quote:
Originally posted by Caffeine Addict:
Squares,

If you know 4 languages well I'd recommend you go in as a linguist for the active Army.

R.B.

Yes, I thought so, but I have to be a US. Citizen for that, right? However, I am not one.
Plus, none of the languages I know are critical languages right now.

For everyone who replied so far, thank you!
I'm not sure of the rules and regs either BUT I'd say 4 languages would be a bad talent to waste.

You can always hold out for a linguist job.

If I was in your shoes I'd google the school that the military sends linguists to and give them a phone call marketing your talents.

Many recruiters only look for what there is a need for BUT someone with a grasp of 4 languages should be really desired.
Thanks for all the help everyone!
I'm so excited! I'm seeing my recruiter tomorrow, and i have about 8 pages of paper with questions for him... :P
(My handwritting is very big haha.. and yes, I've done a lot of research to asnwer my own questions, for the past week. I haven't done much else other than that, aside from eating, sleeping and going to classes/work; and it's all I ever talk about. I'm going crazy!!)

Well, I better go get a good night's sleep.... I write about tomorrow's experience if anyone is interested... Smiler
To be in a field that requires a clearance, like a linguist, you are required to become a citizen. If you are elligible to become a US citizen for longer than 1 year and do not try to become during that time frame; this inaction will hinder your ability to be granted a clearance.
As for MOS listings in the Maine NG... your recruiter should know that. It depends on the Units in the state.
By the way were are you going to college in Maine? I graduated from a little tiny college in Maine called Unity College, near Waterville, 6 years ago.
quote:
Originally posted by enforce:
To be in a field that requires a clearance, like a linguist, you are required to become a citizen. If you are elligible to become a US citizen for longer than 1 year and do not try to become during that time frame; this inaction will hinder your ability to be granted a clearance.

Could you correct me if I'm wrong? Let's see, for example, I have 10 more years before my greencard expires. What you are saying is, I have to try to apply for citizenship or I might not get a chance to try again?

I figured as much. I still have to wait 2 more years though, before I can apply for citizenship (since I've been here for 3 already). If I do join the military, then I can apply for citizenship already.

Either way, the wait is worth it, if it means I can get my dream job in the military *yay!!*

quote:
As for MOS listings in the Maine NG... your recruiter should know that. It depends on the Units in the state.

Oh, it's one of the questions I have for the recruiter. Unfortunately I didn't get to see him today... He called and canceled, and my roommate never told me... (she got the call for me)
Thursday. Thursday I might see him Whee!

quote:
By the way were are you going to college in Maine? I graduated from a little tiny college in Maine called Unity College, near Waterville, 6 years ago.

University of Maine at Orono. More expensive than it's worth... Should have stayed in NJ ;P

But it's so nice up here! Waterville is a cute little town too...

What was your field of study?

------------
Question to everyone who cares to reply:

Would you say these are ok reasons to want to join the ARNG (other than enjoying being helpful to others, which I really do):

- Want to know I am needed, that I am worth something, that I can make a difference in someone's life;

- Want to know that "I can do it". That is, that I can take the challenge, and actually have people proud of my performance.

I wonder if I can do this without my family finding out... I know they'd kill me if I enlisted... They'd come up to Maine and kill me twice.
quote:
Would you say these are ok reasons to want to join the ARNG (other than enjoying being helpful to others, which I really do):

I'm active duty so I can't speak for ARNG but I will say that you'll get a lot out of the Army good and bad just be prepared to not live an east life.

quote:
- Want to know I am needed, that I am worth something, that I can make a difference in someone's life;

You sound like a true patriot there.

I can't speak for everyone BUT when I found myself in Iraq busting my ass in the JOB and seeing little 2-year-old Iraqi girls and boys smile I felt good and think maybe my nice gesture is preventing them from being manipulated or oppressed by some loony Muslim.

quote:
- Want to know that "I can do it". That is, that I can take the challenge, and actually have people proud of my performance.

Well now with basic training so much easier you probably won't have too much of a challenge getting in but you might have a tough time at your first duty station.

As for proud, your average American is proud of the servicemembers serving because it's not an easy life to live with all that's expected of us these days.

quote:
I wonder if I can do this without my family finding out... I know they'd kill me if I enlisted... They'd come up to Maine and kill me twice.

Exactly who's life is it we're talking about? Who cares about what they think it's your life and you should live it any way you choose.
That might make you both feel uncomfortable if you have him write down answers and sign anything.

Here's a decent suggestion though, show him a list of things on your mind (like questions, or concerns you have) and ask him how he can ensure those things are met before you sign any paperwork.

If all goes correctly, he should show you the requirements, answers, and guarantees to put your mind at ease.

Another good suggestion someone made me do is to have someone go with you and make sure you are not being duped in any way and to keep you level headed.

In my case, I took my mom with me and told her this, "Mom, I want to be a journalist in the Army. No matter what that's my number one thing I want."

My mom than steered me away from bogus offers the recruiter threw at me (like generator machanic) and ensured I got everything I wanted in my contract.

It's alot easier to get what you want when there are two of you fighting for the same thing.

Hope that helps,
R.B.
I was paraphrasing the requirements for getting a clearance in the military. You are okay to join the ARMY and try to obtain both your citizenship and an MOS that requires a clearance at nearly the same time. The issue I was mentioning for you to consider is if you had already been elligible to apply for citizenship and decided not to. That is when the 12 month requirement comes into effect.

I know that after joining the ARMY, the process for obtaining your US citizenship will become a lot more streamlined (talk with your S1 or JAG, after you are assigned to a unit). DoD has made the process more "efficient" to help get more Soldiers in.

I would make sure you ask the recruiter all the questions you want/need to. If your recruiter doesn't take notes of your conversation or questions, I would ask them to. Their job is to make you comfortable and answer your questions so you know what you are getting into. If they don't know the answer to your question have them get back to you with a correct answer (or ask it on here).

Hope this helps... good luck.
Met my recruiter just now. He's as friendly as a Maine person can be Smiler
Answered all my questions, however on my way back home I came up with more things haha... So I'm going to let him know... Or I'll ask here, as Enforcer sugested.
But I'll also ask my recruiter just so he knows that I'm aware of the answer.

This thread has gotten so off-topic... haha.. Hope this is ok, since all my questions are being answered anyway.

1) I have to enlist for a minimum of 6 years to benefit from the GI Bill, however, during my first year of service, I have to give away part of my paycheck?

2) Transportation to drills, or any other situations I have to report to:

- Weekend Drills: my recruiter offered to provide me with transportation to drills (I don't drive).
Mmm.. Lets say drill is from Friday to Sunday.
Can I stay at my unit overnight, rather than coming back and forth?

- Other places: Am I provided with transportation? Can I stay somewhere overnight at no cost to me?

Speaking of (monetary) costs:
Is there anything that I will have to pay off my pocket, anytime during this journey?

I plan to go with DEP, so I'm putting off Basic Training until January, or next Summer. So excited... Smiler So excited that I end up making it sound like fun and games, when it's really not... GRRR... Oh well, I'll learn with time.

Mmmm...

I'm making this a journal of my journey... *laughs* If it's ok with everyone...

I feel like posting this chat with a friend...

[18:20] Sohail: so whats up sweety?
[18:20] Miyouki 85: *happy* just came back from meeting a army national guard recruiter Smiler
[18:21] Miyouki 85: got all my questions answered, and I look foward to serving Smiler
[18:22] Sohail: ur going to serve?
[18:22] Miyouki 85: Yeah, I think so.
[18:23] Sohail: why?
[18:25] Miyouki 85: (Yay, another friend is going to get angry at me .. Frowner )

1) because Ive always wanted to
2) because I want to do something great with myself
3) because I love being of service to others
4) because I get a paycheck and benefits
5) I want to be part of something greater
[18:25] Miyouki 85: than myself
[18:25] Miyouki 85: I want to be like the smart girl I used to be. I lost a lot of my fantastic personality because my family restrained me so much. I need to break free from that, and do what I've always wanted to.
[18:25] Miyouki 85: I need to get my character back. And I know army values will sure help me get back on track.
[18:25] Sohail: then go for it
[18:26] Sohail: I just wanted to know why
[18:26] Miyouki 85: Great!!! *tackles you*
[18:26] Sohail: it is your right and your choice to do what you feel is best for you
[18:26] Sohail: *falls back and twirls you around*
[18:26] Miyouki 85: ^_^
[18:27] Miyouki 85: Wheee!! You have no idea how angry everyone is with me... some refuse to talk to me. They say they'll hate me if I join. And I havent told my mom and dad (ive told my sisters and brothers) because I know my dad WILL have a heart attack...
[18:27] Miyouki 85: But I cant go in combat because Im a woman.. that should relieve them... I hope..
[18:27] Sohail: never know
[18:27] Sohail: because combat can come to you
[18:27] Miyouki 85: I know. And I have to be prepared then. Just the same thing with anyone's life. You don't know how though it's going to get!

Edit: Why is there a form that asks for me to list all the people in my family? What is going to be done with this list, I mean, are they going to try to recruit my brother, and my sister? They would kill me again for the fourth time. *laughs* But serisouly, why?
You only have to pay in to the chapter 30 (Active Duty) GI Bill. In the Guard you will have the chapter 1606, no payment required.

Do you really think your recruiter will drive you to drill for the next 6 years? If he's puting 2 soldiers in a month to several different units, do you think he has time to pick them up every drill? Do you think your recruiter will even be there 3 years from now?

As far as lodging at the armory; each one is different. It would be best to ask the members of the unit.

If you are ordered to duty outside of your armory, they will provide lodging, food, and transportation; or reimberse you for it.

You really should look into the Army Reserve as well. I've known too many people who transfered from guard to Reserve and were glad they did.

Oh yeah, women get ordered into combat too. It's not quite as easy since you can't have a combat arms MOS but it happens all the time. Jessica Lynch was in a transportaion unit.

Also, generally your National Guard Unit members take care of one another. Nearly always someone will live close by enough that they can carry you to drill.

Your unlikely to get a Hotel Room overnight if you don't live at least 50 miles away from your unit. But sometimes special things can be arranged or they can let you bunk down in the armory but it depends on your unit.

And everything that is required for your military duties will be provided as well as meals while at training.
Likes (0)