Passes IAW AR 600-9 but morbidly obese

My question pertains to one of my soldiers who passes tape but has no margin of error. He does not present a soldierly appearance and it is difficult to believe he does pass his tape (but he does). He is on a permanant profile. He tells me that he normally works out often but I've never seen him look any thinner or come close to passing weight. Understandably, some people will never pass weight because of their build. I have been urged to counsel him on not presenting a soldierly appearance but how can I counsel him and not counsel other soldiers (officers and enlisted) who appear obese (but pass tape)? How can I keep this from becoming a bigger problem with him perceiving me picking as on him? He knows he is large. His diet isn't the greatest and I've told him so. I am concerned about his health and I think he needs a bigger push than just talking to him one-on-one. I want to do this right and fair and I believe he should be placed on a program. I have considered counseling a few people and placing them on a CDRs weight loss program but that means that they will be flagged IAW AR 600-8-2. Any suggestions?
Original Post
By placing them on the Commanders weight loss program I assume you mean "special pops". If that is the case, then you are incorrect. ANYONE can be placed on special pops reguardless of if they make tape or not. Our company has a policy in place that anyone who comes within 2% of their tape will attend daily special pops. If I read your statement correctly, the Soldier in question is right at his bf%.
Great to know. We were thinking about a specific bf% of within 3% of max but I can use your example of 2% to show that it is done and it is legal. You are correct, he is right at his max bf%. It is more of a challenge to exercise in theater as a group but we can at least get the developmental counselings done and in the meantime, place him on a diet and exercise schedule. I believe that his diet needs to improve and he needs to lose weight that way before he does anything strenuous.
Just to be clear, the special pops does not require flagging, correct? Does it just requires a counseling and additional PT? Thank you for your input!
It should be noted in his counseling that his placement in Special Population PT program is not a punitive measure, and help him to understand that. Too often Special Pops is perceived as a punishment; sometimes because the people conducting it treat it as such. The way my company runs it, each platoon is in charge of providing a primary and a secondary instructor on a rotational basis every two weeks. It gives junior NCOs a learning opportunity, and it helps to keep the program from becoming stale. It's emphasized to each instructor that the sessions aren't just "smoke sessions", but honest workouts meant to get soldiers down to within standard. Framing it like that definitely helps to keep Soldiers motivated.

Add Reply

Likes (0)