paying back bonus

Hey my husband is in the national guard right now and has about a month left till he can switch units, so he's decided with a lot of thought that he wanted to go air force active... my question is will he have to pay the sign on bonus back? if so how would we go about getting a payment plan set up to pay the army back?
Original Post
Well he may have to pay it back, it is up to your unit to make the arraigments. When I went from Army Guard to Active Army they put it in my contract that as long as I complete my enlistment there would be no recoupment.

Is your husband in the Air National Guard or Army National Guard? Because the Air Force takes little to no Prior Service unless your husband is a Pararescue or Combat Controller. If there is a Air Guard to Active AIr Force program let me know, after my 5 years Active I may try going to Air Guard then Active.
That is great that they want your husband because it is nearly impossible to go active Air Force from any other branch. Is he going to keep his rank? Usually they have to start at E1 again.

Also, just because he has a 368 (Conditional Release) from his National Guard unit, doesn't mean he is automatically in the Air Force. He has to go through MEPS again. If his MEPS physical was completed within the last 2 years he won't need another.

The Air Force deploys a lot and more often because their tours are shorter. Do your homework and believe it, only when you see it.
I will SQUASH THIS BS RIGHT NOW!!!!! The Air Force (Active Duty) will not take Prior Service. If he was to go from National Guard to Air National Guard or Air Force Reserves there would be a possibility. But the way it was explained,.......NOT JUST NO, BUT HELLL NO!!!! So if you are right please leave the cell phone number of this amazing ACTIVE DUTY recruiter that can make it happen. We will be waiting.
will SQUASH THIS BS RIGHT NOW!!!!! The Air Force (Active Duty) will not take Prior Service. If he was to go from National Guard to Air National Guard or Air Force Reserves there would be a possibility. But the way it was explained,.......NOT JUST NO, BUT HELLL NO!!!! So if you are right please leave the cell phone number of this amazing ACTIVE DUTY recruiter that can make it happen. We will be waiting.

idk what your problem is but everything is possible so get off your high horse and try to be open minded...dont get on my post and shit talk again!!! no body asked for your negative opinion!!!
It flat out will not happen. I am on recruiting detail now. Like I said when it happens just post the Official business numer of the Air Force recruiter so other people can be helped also. I am not talking trash I am stating facts. I might have been able to put some credence into it 2 years ago when everyone was having a rough time recruiting, but now......c'mon who the hell are you kidding? Myself and the rest of the soldiers on the forum will never see that telephone number because it WILL NOT HAPPEN. Do not get mad at me for not giving you the answer that you did not want to hear, that is absurd. I apologize for not using a little more tact, but I am trying to save you from waiting around for eternity and putting your life on hold for what will never take place.
dude things might be different in whatever state your in but if you look on the air force official web page it states that the prior service program is open and the recruiter here said they need my husbands MOS in a lot of places so you can think whatever you want to think but one: you don't know what your talking about in this situation and two: like hell im giving out another recruiters phone number...if you cant help people out than maybe you need to rethink your job and find something you might be able to do better like kitchen work...like i said before your cocky pathetic attitude is not welcome here, good day!!!
I am also on recruiting duty, and I can tell you that the chance of anyone with prior service going active duty USAF is slim to none. I know that at one point the AF would consider it for certain special ops fields like pararescue. Like everyone else is saying, his chances are slim to none.
The AF recruiter here tells us that he doesn't even have to work. All he does is sit in his office and collect walk-ins. He also said he gets up to 25 voicemails and emails daily from people wanting to join. What's funny about that is that I live on an AF base and a lot of them are very disgruntled and wonder about going blue to green because they can't promoted and many of the Security Forces guys deploy damn near every 6-8 months. Grass isn't always greener on the other side...
Oh I hear ya 68W2P, but that one girl isn't living the dream. She is Dreaming about the life that she wants to have, but won't and when I tell her this in a very confident way she gets mad. Hell, how about you could even ask his AF recruiter if I could call him since I do know 3 people that would personally like to do the transition, this way you could help out the AF recruiter with his mission and he would be more inclined to help you, but it won't happen in bazarro land. What has happened was a big misunderstanding between someone at that station cause Hubby will not be doing active duty. He can do the weekend warrior part time thing. I will eat a sh!t sandwich if I am wrong on it. The last Active Duty Air Force recruiter that I had a close professional relationship with was a Air Force Reservist who had to jump through some serious hoops to do recruiting which made him technically Active duty. So even for their own it is almost impossible. Your husband will have some luck in the Coast Guard provided he can meet all the other quals. Good luck.
this is the husband talking now just to give you a heads up. you approached this all wrong you need to watch what you say b/c you are representing the army and you are just making it look bad by talking to my wife like she is a piece of shit. if you really believe in the army values you would apologize to my wife for how you talked to her. i am not trying to start shit my wife asked a question about paying back the first half of my bonus and you didn't answer the question. if you have any info on paying the bonus back it would appreciated. i have talked to both my chain of command and the AF recruiter. everything is going fine right now and i am sure i am going to fight a battle to do this, but if i learned anything from the ARNG is to keep fighting and drive on. i appreciate your info about the coast guard but i really want the air force. thanks
quote:
Originally posted by IRON HORSE MH:
That is great that they want your husband because it is nearly impossible to go active Air Force from any other branch. Is he going to keep his rank? Usually they have to start at E1 again.

Also, just because he has a 368 (Conditional Release) from his National Guard unit, doesn't mean he is automatically in the Air Force. He has to go through MEPS again. If his MEPS physical was completed within the last 2 years he won't need another.

The Air Force deploys a lot and more often because their tours are shorter. Do your homework and believe it, only when you see it.

yea i get to keep my rank and thanks for the info about MEPS

they are wanting me b/c i am a 21 super echo (heavy construction equipment operator) they are short handed on my mos thats why the recruiter said this is possible.
quote:
Originally posted by livinthedream08:
this is the husband talking now just to give you a heads up. you approached this all wrong you need to watch what you say b/c you are representing the army and you are just making it look bad by talking to my wife like she is a piece of shit. if you really believe in the army values you would apologize to my wife for how you talked to her. i am not trying to start shit my wife asked a question about paying back the first half of my bonus and you didn't answer the question.

Third post answered the question- at least the best answer you'll get here (or from most ARMY folks.) Most people in the Army wouldn't know because they haven't done it. Wink

And your wife started the fuss when she responded to Corvette1140.

Add Reply

Likes (0)