Reclass to 35p under BEAR Program

I am an E5 in a window for a second reenlistment. My question is:
In order to be able to reclass to 35P under BEAR do I have to possess specified language identifier already or is the language training part of the program?
I have 140 on my DLAB and RU language identifier. I was looking to reenlist with the bonus and since hey took 35P(RU) off of the BEAR list I wanted to reclass as 35P(AZ) or 35P(HE). My career counselor never processed any applications for 35P so he's not up to speed on the details. And the language part is not specified in AR 601-280.
Need a solid advice.
Thanks.
Original Post
You do not have to possess a specified language identifier to my understanding. - the RU identifier currently associated with your MOS is likely something random.

If you want AZ or HE just do the BEAR program. Your reenlistment Soldier should ask for some help so they can get you what you want. He/She should not have to ask you for advice on doing this. Just my two cents - I'm not a retention NCO or career counselor.

However, if by language identifier you mean you already passed a DLPT for RU or any other language, then they may not allow you to go to DLI for another language - it may depend upon how recent your DLPT was. Note the DLAB is a different test. Usually language is part of the training for all 35P, but if a Soldier already has language skills as many do nowadays, they may test it and skip DLI. This is the preferred option if you would rather play video games than study or do homework!!!
I know that DLAB and DLPT are two different tests. As you can draw from my previous post I've taken both of them.
Our 79S says that he contacted HRC and was told that if I want to BEAR into 35P I have to already possess the language indentifier (in my case I want to take hebrew) specified in the MILPER message. That info conflicts with what everyone else is saying, unless it is a recent change that went thru unannounced.
And I would rather learn another language than waste my time on video games.
quote:
Originally posted by Peacemaker47:
In order to be able to reclass to 35P under BEAR do I have to possess specified language identifier already or is the language training part of the program?
I have 140 on my DLAB and RU language identifier. I was looking to reenlist with the bonus and since hey took 35P(RU) off of the BEAR list I wanted to reclass as 35P(AZ) or 35P(HE). My career counselor never processed any applications for 35P so he's not up to speed on the details. And the language part is not specified in AR 601-280.
Need a solid advice.
Thanks.
hello,
first make sure you have TS or interim TS with SCI ,and a current DLPT. than your retention nco can start the process . let me know if you have other questions...

quote:
Need a solid advice.
Thanks.
I aready have active TS-SCI.
It seems to me that HRC doesn't want me to reenlist. My CC sent hotline for Hebrew and it came strength not supported, same for Russian. Now I picked Korean and it's been over a week and no responce. Meanwhile the base where I'm currently stationed is scheduled to close in August and I don't have much time left before I come up on PCS orders.. This is so frustrating!
i totally understand what you going through. don't be discharged. this days it's all about luck - with what language is not under the gun...try to get a language that is under strength. i'm sure you know, but take a look in the in/out call and go with what ever is available if you want to get into 35P.

KP is hard to get into...what about Arabic (AZ) or African - it's hot right now ....

Good luck

quote:
I aready have active TS-SCI.
It seems to me that HRC doesn't want me to reenlist. My CC sent hotline for Hebrew and it came strength not supported, same for Russian. Now I picked Korean and it's been over a week and no responce. Meanwhile the base where I'm currently stationed is scheduled to close in August and I don't have much time left before I come up on PCS orders.. This is so frustrating!
my hubby will be leaving for AIT at goodfellow...for us the process was very easy and hubby was able to skip DLI because he is fluent in KP....i think right now, KP isn't as strongly needed as arabic....maybe requesting that or chinese, which i also heard is in demand...good luck...

btw, if you do pcs...remember, you have to be stationed at the new post at least 12 month to be able to go on with bear program....we also just pcsed when hubby started the process....unfortunately, it turned out okay because his AIT wasn't scheduled until a year after....YES, A WHOLE YEAR....we had to wait and finally that moment is coming very soon...good luck and hopefully you will be able to get this job...
I got the school date for Korean last week, so hopefully everything will continue on nice and smooth. Fortunately I don't have to wait a whole year for it. That is probably due to me coming from OCONUS.. I don't know.
So I guess you are not coming to Goodfellow with him? Someone has told me that for soldiers who are reclassing to 35P it is a PCS move to school. And I'm not talking about just DLI portion of it. I guess I'm going to find out as soon as I'll get my assignment orders..

Add Reply

Likes (1)
peacemaker47