Saluting Helicopters?!

I'm in a ASB in a fuel slot but Im an 88m. So a big question has come up and I can not find the answer. Is there a regulation or document for saluting aircraft after refueling before it taxis off? I know the Navy salutes their aircraft from the flight decks. We have soldiers that insist that were are supposed to and talk of it being pushed into our SOP. I'm an NCO and shift leader and I would like to know so I know what the truth is not hear say. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Original Post
I'm a helicopter flight engineer and I have never witnessed our aircraft being saluted by army personnel when departing for a mission.

It's happened once or twice at Marine FARPs and on Navy vessels.

I know the AH-64 crewchiefs do it on departure. However, I think this is a tradition. At any rate, if you put it in your SOP it's legit.
I was a 15J(Kiowa armt) and a 15S PSG. That is a crew chief thing giving his pilot respect and good luck as he departs to the taxi. If your doing that at the FARP, those pilots are going to think your smoking crack or just the highest of high speed FARPs in country. If your the NCO, tell him to find it in the regs, or until he puts it in your SOP, you guys are not doing it. It's great you guys want to do it, but to be forced is a bit much. It's a crew chief/pilot thing. Good luck.
Officially. You only salute the aircraft when its star plates are installed. One in the cockpit, and one on each side of the aircraft. You're supposed to stop and salute any vehicle with star plates, this includes ground vehicles as well. It's a common mistake that the air crew leave the star plates installed on the aircraft when the VIP/DV is not on board.

It's in AR 600-25: d. The practice of saluting officers in official vehicles (recognized individually by rank or identifying vehicle plates
and/or flags) is considered an appropriate courtesy and will be observed. Salutes are not required to be rendered by or
to personnel who are driving or riding in privately owned vehicles, except by gate guards who will render salutes to
recognized officers in all vehicles unless duties are of such a nature as to make the salute impractical. When military
personnel are acting as drivers of a moving vehicle, they should not initiate a salute.

I was a -60 Crew chief in a high profile VIP unit. The same didn't apply only to Generals, there was a slew of personnel that get this courtesy.. Obviously people like the SecDef and Senators and Congressmen/women.

Add Reply

Likes (0)