Should all able bodied US Citizens do time in the military?

I would not complain if we had a special boot camp for teenagers that quit school or graduate and think they can stay at home and not work.At least they would know what the military men and women go through, to just get started on a career.I think it would do them good and possibly bring the jobless rate down a notch or two.My two cents worth.
My mind isn't completely made up on this one. But I do think this: If you don't vote, then don't complain about who wins. If you don't serve, then don't question the way we do the job. If you don't like it here, Canada is to the North and Mexico is to the South. Adios, ay?
I dont think we should because we need quality not quantity they already let to many people in with problems we spend thousands of dollars on one soldier and that's just for training so if we were to make everyone do just one year we would be out a butt load of money if that person graduates and if not then what we are back at were we started. I dont know about the voting thing because I dont vote at that is because I have never picked my boss I just do what I'm told I dont like to follow all of that it boring I have better things to do
The question is a loaded question with an answer of yes or no, the moderator talked of serve to vote,Robert Heinlien "Starship Trooper" great book terrible movie same theory. I liked the serve to vote but dont see it flying in this society, but other options are if one is just spitballing but not make serve or take but give get with business world tax breaks and incentives etc. Imagine the possibilty of person serving not paying state or part of the fed tax for life humm.
I strongly disagree with TheFrosty1. It would become like athletics where competition among peers will improve performance. Half of the soldiers are there because they need the money and education, not because they "want to be a soldier". I agree with Daddy Warcrimes, even though his name is stupid. If you don't want to do it, then you can't vote. That's how it was in Rome, that's how it should be here. A professional army is a breeding ground for corruption and aggression. Of course, part of the army needs to be professional, but if a significant portion is citizen, we wouldn't go to war so recklessly.
quote:
Originally posted by Liberty8155:
I strongly disagree with TheFrosty1. It would become like athletics where competition among peers will improve performance. Half of the soldiers are there because they need the money and education, not because they "want to be a soldier". I agree with Daddy Warcrimes, even though his name is stupid. If you don't want to do it, then you can't vote. That's how it was in Rome, that's how it should be here. A professional army is a breeding ground for corruption and aggression. Of course, part of the army needs to be professional, but if a significant portion is citizen, we wouldn't go to war so recklessly.

Dude you revived a 4 year old thread for your first post, I don't think TheFrosty1 is going to respond, lol. At any rate you made a few good points.
quote:
Originally posted by LuckyLu:
I would be vehemently against having mandatory military service for the fact that most of the decisions to use military force nowadays seem up to the President, not the people.

100 people make a decision, 1 person must deliver the news to the public. The public disagrees with aforementioned decision, thus aforementioned person bears the burden and blame of said decision; The dilemma of the Presidency. What things seem are rarely what they are, nothing good has ever come from the idea that perception is reality. IMO let them all join, they do it in Korea. What's the worst that can happen? Suicide rate sky rockets? Dirtbags make rank? The Army would seemingly crumble from within? Funny, a lot of retirees say that's already happening/happened. I'm not that "in love" with the Army I guess, at 12 years shy of retirement, I already have short timers syndrome, lol. The Army will be okay, for all you hard chargers out there, there's always 1 or 2 asshole NCO's that got beat up in highschool, or never had a girlfriend/boyfriend that will keep those stinking privates in line, lol.
Likes (0)